User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
WhiteNoise OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
R1150GS bash plates

Hey ya'll, I have a 2001 r1150gs and I'm coming to the realization that the factory bash plate is becoming 'too weak' for my style riding. I'm tired of replacing the break off rubber mounts every few times I go off the main roads. I have the wunderlich engine guards and was considering building a bash plate that will mount onto it, but I'd like to see what others have/have done and your opinions on them. I'm not opposed to just purchasing one if it has good results.
WhiteNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
bone13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNoise View Post
Hey ya'll, I have a 2001 r1150gs and I'm coming to the realization that the factory bash plate is becoming 'too weak' for my style riding. I'm tired of replacing the break off rubber mounts every few times I go off the main roads. I have the wunderlich engine guards and was considering building a bash plate that will mount onto it, but I'd like to see what others have/have done and your opinions on them. I'm not opposed to just purchasing one if it has good results.
Still running the factory on mine and not in any real hurry to get rid of them, because of the rubber mounts. Bear in mind they are there as a safety backup... as our bikes have no under frame supporting the engine to mount a skid plate too. The rubber mounts break away rather than transferring the impact to the engine case and damaging it, should you smack it too hard.
Keep that in mind as you look at how other plates mount or if you build your own.
IMHO - I would rather replace the rubber mounts than risk having to repair or replace an engine case.

www.ridgerunneradventures.com
bone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
WhiteNoise OP
Adventurer

I know and understand completely what their purpose is, I am trying to get away from having a bash plate mounted to the case, that way I can have something more rigid. By no means do I intend to hard mount anything to the case.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
WhiteNoise OP
Adventurer

OK I broke the other breakaway bushings that were holding my factory plate, so i decided to make a template. This is what I'm looking to do(may have it turn up to the engine guards attaching bolts seen in pictures below). It will use the 2 rear factory breakaway bushings on the case, but will wrap up the front engine guard and hard mount to it. The bash plate will mount to the engine guards on the sides as well. I'm looking at 1-2 bolts on each side, 2-3 bolts on the front, and the 2 rear factory locations. It will be significantly larger at approx.18in x 20in. I would like to get some thoughts on it. I will leave 2 broken breakaway bushings in the front factory locations for protection from the bash plate as well.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,113

Twin Headlight Ernie makes this.

You could probably contact him here http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com/

Or build your own if you've got the time and skills.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,363
Got that exact one for sale in the Flea Market. Ernie knows his stuff. Bsides being well thought out ( nothing protruding from the bottom of the plate ) , his engineering is spectacular. There are four countersunk screws that hold the plate on, and being countersunk, there is not much margin for error. His are exactly spot on. 'Bout blew me away when I installed it for the first time.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote