Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #46
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,944
I didn't really think the intent was nefarious. A lot of people would think they can do all kinds of stuff till the reasons for not doing it are explained. So you have a bike with "mileage unknown". It will merely be this forever. Even if another engine, a third, of known mileage is put in the bike will be mileage unknown. It's not a big deal. You have a title and the bike BTW is the frame. #s on the frame are on the title and that's what it will be forever.

I guess you could make an electronic tach work. You'd have to hot wire it. And the speedo may work, you have to attach the cable from the trans firmly enough for the square end to stay put. Somebody with your expertise of repairing instruments should be able to handle this.

There is not a lot written about gauge repair and it's not covered in depth much in the manuals. Parts are also scarce. BMW sold some parts as complete units and this is the deal with gauges. Same deal with mechanical advance units, except you can buy the springs, otherwise they are one part and you can't buy, say, the weights.

We used to be able to buy some of the parts in the gauges but not the case anymore. Somebody could make a ton of money by duplicating the bulb holder circuit boards but nobody has brought them out to date. (discussed often here)

Non working gauges may sell anywhere from $50 to $150. Just no telling really. And I don't follow gauge prices usually because I have two sets.

But you mention the after market gauge starts at $300. I would think you could beat that price getting the OEM gauges to work. I think so but can't be sure of course.

There is a member here that does gauge repair. He has a great reputation for quality work and he charges less than the big houses for this stuff. it is still not cheap. But if you sent him both sets of gauges and an explication of what you need I bet he could make something out of the pair that works. Contact him and see what he might suggest. His name is wirespokes and here is his info page. At the bottom are some links. One goes to info about his gauge repair. PM him.
http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=1444

BTW, one of the things I do with Ebay that I think helps. I search only for used parts. Therefor no junk, just used and all of that will be OEM. I'm sure I miss some stuff sometimes and some sellers don't classify their ads but I don't have time to deal with idiots. I get to see what I'm interested. For the most part OEM parts. Try it.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #47
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I didn't really think the intent was nefarious. A lot of people would think they can do all kinds of stuff till the reasons for not doing it are explained. So you have a bike with "mileage unknown". It will merely be this forever. Even if another engine, a third, of known mileage is put in the bike will be mileage unknown. It's not a big deal. You have a title and the bike BTW is the frame. #s on the frame are on the title and that's what it will be forever.

I guess you could make an electronic tach work. You'd have to hot wire it. And the speedo may work, you have to attach the cable from the trans firmly enough for the square end to stay put. Somebody with your expertise of repairing instruments should be able to handle this.

There is not a lot written about gauge repair and it's not covered in depth much in the manuals. Parts are also scarce. BMW sold some parts as complete units and this is the deal with gauges. Same deal with mechanical advance units, except you can buy the springs, otherwise they are one part and you can't buy, say, the weights.

We used to be able to buy some of the parts in the gauges but not the case anymore. Somebody could make a ton of money by duplicating the bulb holder circuit boards but nobody has brought them out to date. (discussed often here)

Non working gauges may sell anywhere from $50 to $150. Just no telling really. And I don't follow gauge prices usually because I have two sets.

But you mention the after market gauge starts at $300. I would think you could beat that price getting the OEM gauges to work. I think so but can't be sure of course.

There is a member here that does gauge repair. He has a great reputation for quality work and he charges less than the big houses for this stuff. it is still not cheap. But if you sent him both sets of gauges and an explication of what you need I bet he could make something out of the pair that works. Contact him and see what he might suggest. His name is wirespokes and here is his info page. At the bottom are some links. One goes to info about his gauge repair. PM him.
http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=1444

BTW, one of the things I do with Ebay that I think helps. I search only for used parts. Therefor no junk, just used and all of that will be OEM. I'm sure I miss some stuff sometimes and some sellers don't classify their ads but I don't have time to deal with idiots. I get to see what I'm interested. For the most part OEM parts. Try it.
An electronic tach needs to be able to work with a wasted spark ignition. On my Fluke, It gets set to the 2 stroke mode. So I would imagine anything that will work on a 2 stroke will work.

The flex circuit boards in the stock gauges are easy to repair. You have to melt one in a fire to need to replace it.

Overall, the BMW gauge setup is pretty sorry, although allowance should be made for just how old these things are. They had problems in the first place and they never really did get them all fixed. New gauges, even incredibly overpriced Chinese stuff like the Acewells, make a certain amount of sense.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #48
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocktoon View Post
Do you know how to quote another post? Just do that in the flea market ad you want to link to. Then in the message editor, select/copy ALL the contents of the message.

Then come over to the flea market discussion thread and post a reply. Just paste all the contents of the original ad. It'll link to the original post and include all the original text.

Or just say "In the flea market thread, so-and-so was talking about this..."

For me, and most others, I only want to see the "new post" notification in the flea market if there's ACTUALLY a new item for sale/wanted. Plenty of room for discussion elsewhere on advrider. Under normal circumstances I'd like to subscribe to the flea market. Right now it'd be a nightmare because there's way too much noise.
Yeah, I quote shit all of the time. The issue is how to respond to a query in the flea market without posting there to cross reference the discussion thread...it's Catch 22...

Seems like those who don't wish to use the search function are really window shopping and looking for an impulse buy. The very nature of that is contained in a different sort of advert: the classified ad. Either it's a flea market or it's classified ads...it can't be both. Flea market folks sell and discuss shit, classified folks sell shit, it ain't the same thing.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #49
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroadie View Post
Yeah, I quote shit all of the time. The issue is how to respond to a query in the flea market without posting there to cross reference the discussion thread...it's Catch 22...

Seems like those who don't wish to use the search function are really window shopping and looking for an impulse buy. The very nature of that is contained in a different sort of advert: the classified ad. Either it's a flea market or it's classified ads...it can't be both. Flea market folks sell and discuss shit, classified folks sell shit, it ain't the same thing.

I have to admit I'm prone to a certain amount of hair splitting myself. Don't always want to make an issue of it but Old Roadie is right. A Flea Market is a social get together. A Want Ad is people trying to sell stuff for too much money.

Either loosen up or change the name to Airhead Want Ads.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 08-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #50
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroadie View Post

I pointed this problem out when the new thread was set up my a mod some weeks ago. No solutions forthcoming, inc. from the mod.

I would say the spirit of the thing is to divert the bulk of the discussion, especially the longer discussions, here. It's a sink, and it isn't easily sociable. if I have a direct question for a seller, PM them. Otherwise if I want general opinions on something, post here and put a single concise post there referencing the post here. That minimizes the discussion there. It cannot be eliminated w/o some technology that apparently isn't available.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #51
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I don't think the intent is to have a spirit of the thing. NO DISCUSSION in the Flea Market. So when JoBlow adverize's that he has a /7 gas tank for a /5 motorcycle there will be nobody telling him he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. I guess you may write a personal message to JoBlow and he would then correct his ad. Or he will disappear which happens when the posters here are to busy to clean up their mess.

Try it the way they want and don't put any discussion in the Flea Market. Maybe it'll work just fine.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #52
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
I don't think the intent is to have a spirit of the thing. NO DISCUSSION in the Flea Market. So when JoBlow adverize's that he has a /7 gas tank for a /5 motorcycle there will be nobody telling him he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. I guess you may write a personal message to JoBlow and he would then correct his ad. Or he will disappear which happens when the posters here are to busy to clean up their mess.

Try it the way they want and don't put any discussion in the Flea Market. Maybe it'll work just fine.
Your world might be black and white. Mine isn't.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #53
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Your world might be black and white. Mine isn't.
You sometimes get yelled at enough for both of us, don't you, Plaka? Good Luck with that.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #54
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
I guess some guys just love to drop turds into punchbowls. They're just natural born turd ploppers. Ain't never gonna change 'em.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #55
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgregus View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400293330310...84.m1423.l2649

that's a verry special beancan......
it's a very broken beancan. The top bearing should be centered. The beat up screws say a lot about whoever monkeyed with it. The seller doesn't have a clue about what it is, much less the bikes that used it. maybe it's a completely joke listing? he seems to think it is, and references the other ADV thread ridiculing his ads.

Anyone that buys it for more than perhaps $75 gets what they deserve I suppose. You pays your tuition and you gets an education.

I've done some joke eBay listings, each for a group of items. One was a box of severely worn, filthy and rusty bicycle parts...every part lavishly and meticulously described as the rarest of collectables (custom antique oxide fleck finish, etc.). I included the brick wall they were displayed against (subject to landloard approval. Buyer provides demolition and transportation) The other a box of computer parts, largely dead or ought to be. Both ads got a lot of positive comments and both sold, not for a lot, to people that said they only bought them because the listing cracked them up. More importantly they drew attention to my other ads---I was parting a very pretty but not running K100 at he time. eBay was different back then tho'

Somehow this guy doesn't even get me to smile.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #56
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
I guess some guys just love to drop turds into punchbowls. They're just natural born turd ploppers. Ain't never gonna change 'em.

Exactly.

The idea is to have them deposited here rather than in the flea market thread itself so people can, you know, easily find the actual items being sold. Just like the General Flea Mkt rules as per Baldy.

If an inmate is selling parts/bikes/etc the only real reply necessary is "PM sent", no personal opinions or philosophies required. Want the item? Buy it. If not, move on.

Neat,clean & efficient.

Sorta follows ole plaka-kahn's "wheat from chaff" philosophy.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #57
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,349
Nice thread. I shall follow it.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #58
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
/6 vs. /7 front fender

I just posted an ad in the flea market looking to trade front fenders with somebody because I can't get the /6 fender mounted on my 1977 /7 fork brace.
I have a very nice /6 Monza blue front fender that I wouldn't mind running, but cannot get it to fit my /7 brace. The front holes line up but the fender will not slide down onto the brace to allow getting the bolts in. There is about a 8-10 mm gap between the fender and the brace. I've always though that the braces didn't care but in my case it does.
Any ideas ?
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #59
lucky6600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
JJ,

Your black gas tank is a /5 tank. It does not fit a /6 unless an R60 that doesn't have a master cylinder under the tank. All the other /6 bikes have a master cylinder under the tank and need the extra space under a /6 tank.

Charlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Discussion thread!!------>

(cause I want to dd something to that.)

Plaka,

Educate us about the /5 tanks please

Toaster vs touring vs /6 later tank !!

and go
lucky6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #60
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky6600 View Post
Plaka,

Educate us about the /5 tanks please

Toaster vs touring vs /6 later tank !!

and go
Plaka could have added:
1) the gas cap flips the wrong way to be a /6.
2) The /5 has screw on badges whilst the /6 has stick-on.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote