Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed View Post
Anybody hear of or tried SEAT CONCEPTS?

They look like half the price of the others.

I have a Seat Concepts on my '02 GS,,,,,,,I really,,,,,,,like it, I should say. It's a flat seat, which I like and lower than stock. Good firm foam but your kinda set to one sitting position, not a lot of room to move around. They did address the forward slide and it really is a pretty flat seat. Much more comfortable than the stocker for long mileage. Only drawback is they don't do the passenger pillion at all so there is no exact match.
I do have a Seats Concept seat on my DRZ and being much longer and flat it's a great seat and I'm really happy with it.

I "like" it but not in love with it for the GS. I have had Corbin's on most of my other bikes but went with the seat Concepts since it was considerably less expensive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but wish I would have gone with the Corbin.

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Has anyone tried the RDL "Sport" seat? Supposedly it isn't as high as the std. seat and allows you to slide around in the twisties. It sounds like the answer for me, but I wonder just how comfortable it is...maybe no better than my Sargent...?
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
You say a GS, I have an '02 R1150GS. Will the seat fit it? Interested.....

From what I understand it won't. (09 R1200GS) people really seem to love those seats and it sure does look like a well made seat, in fact I think the receipt I found in the box of receipts that came with the bike was around $700 (total, after tax and all. not 100% on this, but it struck me as "wow, these custom seats are a chunk of change) I guess for a nicely crafted hand made leather seat it's fair, one of those "you get what you paid for" deals, and I have an estranged wife that has a converted bedroom made closet with coach purses hanging all over so I do "get it". I rode it once cause I just had to see for myself and was "uh, nah". just didn't feel right. I felt like I should be stretching my legs out while leaning back cruiser style... ok so the seat probably wouldn't work well for that since it is perfectly styled for "upright" sitting in place. I think for a lot of folks that can try it out first or already know what they want it's probably extremely good. It sure seems like a nice seat. but really I think people should try it out first before making such a commitment, especially since it is so different than the oem. speaking of which imho the stock design works so well on the bike... it just starts burning after a few hundred miles. a few 500 mile or so days of that can start getting painful.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:

I know a couple guys that are really happy with seat concepts. Good price too.

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
parkerltng
1200gsaarp (4' agl)

Oddometer: 68
Seat Concepts +1

Quote:

I did a ride up to their shop in San Jac. a few weeks ago. Met Brandon - fellow gs rider - and he personally did the seat (new custom foam and vinyl). BIG difference from stocker.
Thoughts;
- Slightly raised crotch area keeps the butt planted to the back of the seat.
- Added padding in the back area spreads out the contact areas.
- I 'had' the low seat option originally and could flat foot w/ street shoes. The extra padding raised the seat height about 3/4". Now I wear boots to compensate (not a deal breaker) or just go to toes. Inseam = 31".
- Stock seat would kill my butt after an hour. I can go tank-to-tank on this seat with only mild irritation.
- Sitting further back in the saddle has altered the ergos of posture for me. I now lean forward a bit more to keep the elbows flexed. Barbacks might be in my future.

Overall ratings (1-10);
Comfort - 8
Fit / Finish - 9
Style - 9
Durability - Too early to tell. Brandon did say there is a 'break-in' period for the seat to conform to each rider of about 1k. mi. Almost there.

For the price point and turnaround time, I would repeat the deal again.

Sorry, no pix yet.
M
parkerltng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 715
Rick Mayer

The previous owner of my bike put a Rick Mayer on it, and I'm still very happy with it it after 6 more years. The leather is getting a bit abraded in spots, but the padding is still just right, and so is the friction.
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
JeffinTD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
I went to Mr.Ed's Moto and Don Weber custom built my seat.

Best money I've ever spent.

Had: CX500, DR650, S2 Thunderbolt.

Need: To win the lottery so I can actually get time to ride.
JeffinTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 3,976
Another vote for the RDL here. Have one on my FJR and love it and plan to get one for the GS sooner or later. Not in a huge rush--the stocker is pretty good, but not great. I'm hoping that RDL will offer a sale over the winter and I can buy it for a bit cheaper.

You might check out the defunct RDL group buy thread. Many testimonials there about RDL vs. other options.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Rich's

Have had wonderfully comfortable all day seats built for me by Rich's Custom Motorcycle Seats in Kingston, WA. He's done 5 for me and I have had others, his IMHO are the best!! YMMV
Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
cruise_carter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Have had a lot of bikes over the years, mostly stock seats or Corbins.
The GS I just purchased came with a RDL the previous owner had made for him.

The RDL is amazing, first long ride on the bike was just over 600 km on a day trip and I didn't feel crippled at the end of the day. Very comfortable throughout the ride.

Was ok that night and could still walk good the next day.
I am more than pleased with the seat.

Customer service is very good, sent them a question regarding seat material, gave them the serial number and had a reply within an hour.

Dale
cruise_carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
SeeRace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Have had wonderfully comfortable all day seats built for me by Rich's Custom Motorcycle Seats in Kingston, WA. He's done 5 for me and I have had others, his IMHO are the best!! YMMV
+1. I sent Rich's my old seat and pictures of me sitting on my GSA and got my new leather seat in return. I had it about a week before doing an 11,000 mile trip to Alaska in July. It worked well. It would have been nice to have had him do a custom fit on the bike but I am happy with it.
SeeRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #27
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I'm taking my Rich Mayer custom seat on an IBA SS1000 tomorrow morning so I'll let you know how it goes for me there. I'm on stage 3 of "like" with this seat. Stage 1) sat on it in the garage and really liked it, Stage 2) from miles 20-1000 on it where I could really feel the spots they didn't get quite right and was partially disappointed (didn't do a ride-in since I live out east), and now Stage 3) it's broken it. Feels great not perfect, but have done several 12-15 hr days and only a little sore in spots.

I did the Sargent thing for about 1,000 miles. Better than stock, but just a not enough seat for me. I liked that it was lower to the ground though.

I rode to Key West and back on the stock seat. The guys at the local BMW store still high-five me for that. My "boys" and tailbone were numb (the stage beyond excruciating pain) from day 2 to a week after getting home.
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #28
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,766
Perfectly satisfied with my Corbin.

I hear the RDL's can't be beat for comfort though. Never ridden with one.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #29
Mituk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Rdl....

+1 on the Russell. I've had stock BMW, and two different Corbins, nothing compares to my RDL. I can do 800 miles on the RDL in a day without any discomfort, and can't do more than 4-500 on the others, and that with considerable wiggling around and a sore butt. Yes, they are ugly, but I'll gladly pay that price for the most comfortable saddle I've ever had.

As far as what was uncomfortable about the Corbins, they were just too firm. And the shape just wasn't right. They seem to be well made, and were better than stock, but nowhere near as comfortable as the RDL.

Good luck
'99 R1100RT
Mituk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #30
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Rick Mayer

buyer beware

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...66&page=7:deal

Been there - done that - never again
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote