ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
I've got ~ 8 or 10 gallons of water-contaminated transmission/hydraulic oil from an old tractor, 80w90 stuff, to dispose of. sigh. looks like a cappucino.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I've got ~ 8 or 10 gallons of water-contaminated transmission/hydraulic oil from an old tractor, 80w90 stuff, to dispose of. sigh. looks like a cappucino.
If you let it sit without disturbing it it will separate. Most recyclers understand a certain amount of water contamination and account for it.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Do you know of documentation on that? There's an auto-zone near me that rejects my oil on a regular basis because of contaminates. There's another place that never rejects it but the auto-zone is closer.
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/Used_Oil.cfm

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/InformationRe...enerators1.pdf <- likely the most useful bit. Remember this is likely one of the most litigious subjects in the US the regs are confusing and lengthy. Good luck.

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/hazardouswast...e_01-10-06.pdf

There is some guidance ...
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #19
Sfcootz
Banjoboy is my guru.

Oddometer: 2,566
Thumb

This is great information for DIYers.

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #20
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,289
In Redwood City you can put oil in a "clear jug" and filters in a bag and leave on top of your recycle bin. What bothers me is that Recology wants me to use a clear jug instead of recycling the old oil quart plastic bottles. I don't have clear jugs; we don't drink milk or 2 liters of soda. WTF?
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #21
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,636
Don't want to dilute this thread, but how 'bout some help on recycling used motorcycle tires? I'm finding it harder and harder to find a place to do this. I have been taking them to my local America's Tire but today it was explained to me that legally they're only supposed to deal with tires they sell...but they did take my two dirt bike tires.

I believe Contra Costa Transfer Station will accept them for a fee--any idea how much?

(If you'd rather me start another thread I'll do it.)

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #22
tedski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Don't want to dilute this thread, but how 'bout some help on recycling used motorcycle tires? I'm finding it harder and harder to find a place to do this. I have been taking them to my local America's Tire but today it was explained to me that legally they're only supposed to deal with tires they sell...but they did take my two dirt bike tires.

I believe Contra Costa Transfer Station will accept them for a fee--any idea how much?

(If you'd rather me start another thread I'll do it.)
MotoShop in South San Francisco (and soon moving to San Francisco) has oil, oil filter, and tire recycling. However, I do think they charge a nominal fee for tire disposal.

The bonus is that MotoShop is a DIY shop, so you can do your oil change there (they also sell oil and filters). They also have a NoMar tire machine and a balancer for tire changes.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #23
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedski View Post
MotoShop in South San Francisco (and soon moving to San Francisco) has oil, oil filter, and tire recycling. However, I do think they charge a nominal fee for tire disposal.

The bonus is that MotoShop is a DIY shop, so you can do your oil change there (they also sell oil and filters). They also have a NoMar tire machine and a balancer for tire changes.
That's an interesting concept. Is it common? I can see it being popular enlarge, expensive cities where real estate is expensive and people live in shoe boxes.

Do they provide the tools? Is there "person of knowledge" on staff to assist and/or give direction for more complex repairs?
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
Sfcootz
Banjoboy is my guru.

Oddometer: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
That's an interesting concept. Is it common? I can see it being popular enlarge, expensive cities where real estate is expensive and people live in shoe boxes.

Do they provide the tools? Is there "person of knowledge" on staff to assist and/or give direction for more complex repairs?

Yes, they have all the tools you need. The owners are both good with wrenches and you can also pay to have an experienced mechanic supervise you. I have done everything from oil changes to adjusting the valves on my monster at Moto Shop.

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #25
tedski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcootz View Post
Yes, they have all the tools you need. The owners are both good with wrenches and you can also pay to have an experienced mechanic supervise you. I have done everything from oil changes to adjusting the valves on my monster at Moto Shop.
They also hold classes. They have lifts, tire machines, parts washers, etc. They have relocated to San Francisco (540 De Haro) since my last post. There is no charge to go hang out and look around. They're open Wed - Fri noon-10pm and Sat /Sun 10-7.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #26
Bicycle Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
In Redwood City you can put oil in a "clear jug" and filters in a bag and leave on top of your recycle bin. What bothers me is that Recology wants me to use a clear jug instead of recycling the old oil quart plastic bottles. I don't have clear jugs; we don't drink milk or 2 liters of soda. WTF?
I use a 5 gallon clear plastic jug that had previously contained canola oil. If you ask a restaurant or two I'm sure that they can provide you with the same. I take my used oil to an O'Reilly's that is close by. Also one of the close by quick oil change places will readily take my used oil.

Thank you: MX1West, Renazco Racing, KTM Twins, Rally Management Services
Bicycle Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #27
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
Yup, Moto Shop is great--and quite popular. Easy to recycle oil and filters there. I'd love to have more options for recycling tires without paying for it...but so far my local dump and local shops have to pay to dispose of tires, so we as consumers do, too. My local dump in Oakland charges $3/tire.

It's something I'm happy to keep working on, though.

As for the clear plastic gallon milk jugs: they are not my fave either, but the trucks they use to transport oil are built with racks that fit precisely that size. Other recycled oil bottles don't fit and fall off the racks (or won't go in at all), and so make a mess for the hauler.