Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
Reddydr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
KTM problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
As you can see from my signature, I own a new LC GS, so before anyone acuses me of trolling, I'm not. I change my bikes every year or so. There have been some issues already with the new GS, none of which I've experienced (yet!).

So, thinking about my next bike already, I'm intrigued by the 1190. I'm trying to find out if owners are experiencing any issues, if so, what are they, and what's the support like from KTM?

My move to the orange side is a little way off, so in the meantime, what issues/ problems have the new owners experienced with the new beast?
Its The Heat from engine + Handle bar BUZZ ( Ordered PHDC from KTM PowerParts Accessories hope this may solve problem ? )
Indicator switches didnt work in rain need to restart engine
The handlebar control switches struck and working after drying up
Reddydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
I JET
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Update

1. My side stand springs fell off completely the other weekend while I was riding, side stand came down, engine turned off, rolled to a stop, cable tied it up. - Dealer replacing springs under warranty.

2. My engine still shuts off completely, it happens usually once every ride now, always under deceleration when I pull the clutch in to change down a gear, usually when I'm pulling up to traffic lights. - Dealer checked possible cause from tilt sensor, dealer was told by KTM to completely re flash the computer, clear all codes, test ride & re check codes.

3. Tail light still flickers, Dealer told me they couldn't fault it but i've since swapped bikes with a mate and it determinately flickers on over bumps in the road. - They are looking into it again.

4. Water / moisture in indicators has been developing inside the '' sealed indicators.

5. Air box pre filter recall - Getting fitted by dealer.

Pick my bike up tomorrow so we'll see what they decide to tell me about the bike cutting off. I'm guessing it will be along the lines of. We did this, we checked that, could not fault the bike or ECU.
1991 Yamaha 50 → 1989 Yamaha 80 → 1989 Honda XR80 → 1988 Honda XR100 → 1993 Honda XR250 → 1997 Honda XR400 → 2007 KTM 450 EXC → 1994 Honda RVF 400 → 2010 BMW S1000RR → 2010 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple →
2012 BMW S1000RR --> Bike of the Month DEC/2012 <--http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bm...er-2012-a.html Current Bike → → 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
I JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
HESHOOTSRATS
n00b

Oddometer: 2
flashing brake light

hi did they finds a fix for this fault as mine is the same, it actually flashed when I was off the bike which was parked up in gear keys in ignition??? dealer checked it out nothing done still the same I also get a strong smell of petrol when I return from a ride vent problem ?? dealer checked nothing done still the same. had the heat deflector fitted under seat still gets hot??? so not really getting anywhere although no fault of my dealer who is great can we contact ktm direct??
HESHOOTSRATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #19
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by HESHOOTSRATS View Post
hi did they finds a fix for this fault as mine is the same, it actually flashed when I was off the bike which was parked up in gear keys in ignition??? dealer checked it out nothing done still the same I also get a strong smell of petrol when I return from a ride vent problem ?? dealer checked nothing done still the same. had the heat deflector fitted under seat still gets hot??? so not really getting anywhere although no fault of my dealer who is great can we contact ktm direct??
maybe your dealer is not as sharp as you think - he should be able to see on the KTM system, that there is a "recall" on many bikes, which relates to tank vent, seat foil and steering damper

If you enter your details here http://www.ktm.com/za/dealer-service...ety-check.html
you should also see the alert
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #20
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
At my first service they checked the vent (was fine), dampener (was fine) and fitted the foil under the seat. I havnt noticed a heat problem any more than any faired bike ive owned. Touch wood, my bike has been perfect.
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
Gillberg375
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Where do I begin

I have an 09 690 Duke that I thrash the living shit out of at the track that has never given an even a hint of disapproval. I think it says "Gimme a bit more"
Great bike.

I did a weekender just gone. An easy ride of about 600km.
It was hot. Up to 38 degrees C on the way home.
I was almost overwhelmed by petrol fumes at times. Then.... No power above about 4000rpm. The bike would just have nothing. I pulled over after thinking the stinky petrol smell may have something to do with it. Opened the petrol cap and it was like opening a petrol can left in the sun for an hour. Big whoosh of fumes came out. This seemed to cure the rev problem.

During the course of the weekend the bike developed a squeaky noise. Very noticeable at lower speeds. kind of like the noise a rusty disc might make. I thought it might be the chain as it sounded like it was coming from that area.
A little bit grindy. I pulled the clutch in when moving and the sound disappeared. I'm wondering if the clutch is to blame.

When I go over a bump in the road, there is a fairly substantial clunk that comes from the front end. No idea what this is.

I've yet to return the bike for the multitude of recalls.
One is for the heat problem.
One is for the steering damper. I swear it's completely hollow.
One is for the air cleaner. No idea.
And I think one is to fit the other half of the side stand or something.

Apart from these problems. The bike is perfect I love it to death but I'm sure glad it still has plenty of warranty left.
If this is a sign of things to come. Once the warranty has expired, the bike's welcome in my shed will also expire.
Gillberg375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #22
Dearnla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
The 1190 has a number of recalls to it that should be incorporated into production by the time you want to buy one.
Side stand spring breaks
Fuel tank vent blocked/obscured
Steering damper bearing wear
Under seat heat
ECU update
And one major upgrade that will come as std in 2014 is the MSC update, which can be retro fitted to our 2013 bikes.
So, all easily solved by £5 parts....
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #23
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 378
No real probs here; 7.5 k kms, and no real issues...

Steering head bearing needed tightening, thats all
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #24
Lee990Adventure
Lee1190Adventure

Oddometer: 22
Hi, 3000 miles on my beautiful orange beasty, used 600ml of oil and had all the updates done, but it's perfect and the best do-everything bike I've owned to date, 48 consecutive motorcycles and counting...
Lee990Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #25
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Went riding for 5 days up through the Aussie alps to Jindabyne and my 1190 ADV R was amazing. Easily keeps pace with sports bikes without revving the crap out of it, very stable on dirt and limited only by my amateurish dirt skills and the OEM tires. Pretty comfortable with the seat heat only occasionally a minor problem. Love this bike like no other and have done nearly 5000 Kms in a month!

But....

On the fifth day the bike wouldn't start. No fault codes, battery fine and full tank of premium fuel. I could smell fuel as the starter motor cranked over but no spark and no sign of life from the engine. Roll starting it also failed.

I did notice what appears to be a small amount of oil weeping from somewhere on the lower RHS or just underneath. Might be coincidental. Bike had been using a small amount of oil and there was oil visible in the reservoir window.

Having the bike sent back home by my roadside assistance company and expect it back at the dealers in a week or two. Slow I know but I avoided a massive towing fee for the 700 km journey.

Will post when the dealer has made an assessment.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #26
limcheewang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by I JET View Post
2. My engine still shuts off completely, it happens usually once every ride now, always under deceleration when I pull the clutch in to change down a gear, usually when I'm pulling up to traffic lights. - Dealer checked possible cause from tilt sensor, dealer was told by KTM to completely re flash the computer, clear all codes, test ride & re check codes.
Hi,
I've been riding my new 1190 Adventure (in Singapore) for about 4 days, and it had similar engine shut-off occurrence twice, while riding and clutch-in to change gear. Wonder if you've resolved this issue? One of the Singapore forum mate has similar problem too, and he had rode for more than 6000 km.

Or any folks here have similar issue and know the cause of it?

limcheewang screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 06:04 PM
limcheewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #27
TriTi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
seat broken?

I don't own one but I just recently went on a demo ride at my local KTM dealer. I have to admit it was an awesome bike... if I had the money... that is what I would buy for sure! I did notice when adjusting the seat height that the forward catch/slot to secure the front of the seat was cracked... It is a brand new demo bike! The way the seat adjusts is pretty cool but to be cracked already... not sure the seat design with hold up when any major off-road or single track if you bump into the seat pretty hard.

Any input from those who own them on this issue?
TriTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
bsashootingstar
n00b

Pissed KTM 1190 Adventure

Hi, just responding to this thread… I’ve had my KTM1190 Adventure now for around 4 months. Traded in a BMW K1200 to give the KTM a go.
Thoughts thus far: The bike itself is great, so I won’t replicate all the praises that most of reviews come up with. For NSW & Queensland roads that seem to have pot holes & corrugations at the apex of many a corner the KTM just rides them out – beautiful & safely.
However, after 4 months of purchasing the bike & panniers I’m still waiting on the panniers or keys for the panniers to be delivered by KTM…..There’s been a key recall that the factory just can’t seem to manage. So all my plans of going touring on the bike are on hold for months while KTM attempt to deliver a key to the dealer – I’m far from impressed Mr KTM….
Other KTM issues: well, I would really question the build quality (compared to BMW at least). The prop stand supplied just isn’t right. Before I increased the foot diameter from 40mm to 60mm it always felt precariously balanced & I’d leave 40mm diameter rings in the bitumen. It’s a small thing but why even let the design leave the factory gate?
Similarly, I’ve fitted an after-market radiator guard. If the bike is to have a design life of more than 50,000kms that highly exposed radiator should be supplied with a guard from the factory – unless of course you’re in the market of wanting to supply new radiators….
Heat from the motor is a problem, especially on a plus 35 degC days. A recall is to fit an under seat heat shield, no doubt to protect the seat foam from deteriorating too quickly – the result is even more heat blasted on to your leg; not bad in the winter but a pain in summer after several hours riding
Accessory range is good from both KTM & after-market suppliers & will no doubt improve. Prices from KTM Australia are on the high side especially when compared to KTM in the States. Buy from the US you say – Well the KTM guys in the US won’t (or more likely aren’t allowed to) export. I guess the after- market suppliers will gradually force KTM’s hand.
So in a wrap up; great bike but be prepared to spend extra $$’s to fit what the factory could have supplied initially for a fraction of the cost. KTM service & support - in my experience, very poor…. Once they have your cash it appears that that’s it, unfortunately.
Would I recommend the 1190 Adventure? Yes but be prepared to be underwhelmed by the overall KTM experience….
bsashootingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #29
bsashootingstar
n00b

KTM 1190 Adventure Experience

Hi, just responding to this thread… I’ve had my KTM1190 Adventure now for around 4 months. Traded in a BMW K1200 to give the KTM a go.
Thoughts thus far: The bike itself is great, so I won’t replicate all the praises that most of reviews come up with. For NSW & Queensland roads that seem to have pot holes & corrugations at the apex of many a corner the KTM just rides them out – beautiful & safely.
However, after 4 months of purchasing the bike & panniers I’m still waiting on the panniers or keys for the panniers to be delivered by KTM…..There’s been a key recall that the factory just can’t seem to manage. So all my plans of going touring on the bike are on hold for months while KTM attempt to deliver a key to the dealer – I’m far from impressed Mr KTM….
Other KTM issues: well, I would really question the build quality (compared to BMW at least). The prop stand supplied just isn’t right. Before I increased the foot diameter from 40mm to 60mm it always felt precariously balanced & I’d leave 40mm diameter rings in the bitumen. It’s a small thing but why even let the design leave the factory gate?
Similarly, I’ve fitted an after-market radiator guard. If the bike is to have a design life of more than 50,000kms that highly exposed radiator should be supplied with a guard from the factory – unless of course you’re in the market of wanting to supply new radiators….
Heat from the motor is a problem, especially on a plus 35 degC days. A recall is to fit an under seat heat shield, no doubt to protect the seat foam from deteriorating too quickly – the result is even more heat blasted on to your leg; not bad in the winter but a pain in summer after several hours riding
Accessory range is good from both KTM & after-market suppliers & will no doubt improve. Prices from KTM Australia are on the high side especially when compared to KTM in the States. Buy from the US you say – Well the KTM guys in the US won’t (or more likely aren’t allowed to) export. I guess the after- market suppliers will gradually force KTM’s hand.
So in a wrap up; great bike but be prepared to spend extra $$’s to fit what the factory could have supplied initially for a fraction of the cost. KTM service & support - in my experience, very poor…. Once they have your cash it appears that that’s it, unfortunately.
Would I recommend the 1190 Adventure? Yes but be prepared to be underwhelmed by the overall KTM experience….
bsashootingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #30
Trail newb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Off topic

Off topic sorry but So true BSA mate. I don't like to whinge, I call it making conversation.... BUT Australian distributors, salesmen etc are to the most part f@&king useless ONCE the money is in there account! I do know a lot of great suppliers and salesmen but its unfortunate they are in the lower percentage and declining in the days of a quick buck. Close a dodgy a business, hey, I'll just open a new one in another name.....
Trail newb is offline   Reply With Quote