User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #10696
calan818
The CarMexican

Oddometer: 1,237
Never too early

GWN, never too early to plan a future bike trip! I think that be a great destination for a 2014 trip! Jim, thanks for making me laugh about your key adventure when u stopped by my work in Carman, way back when!
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #10697
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Maybe far too early to mention this, but here goes... Carl/Calan818 and myself were discussing potentially doing a trip out to the Cypress Hills next summer to check the place out. For those that don't know, quite a bit of wild, wild west history to the area, and lots to see. I'd love to take the southern route, Hwy 2 in MB, 13 across southern SK thru Assiniboia, Shaunavon, East End. There's a few gravel side roads thru Frenchman Valley that look interesting too. Potentially I could be up for venturing further onward westerly to the Milk River and Writing-On-Stone Prov Park in southern AB. It'd be a camping gig (for me). Just tossing it out there - would be cool if we did another Wpg/MB group ride - any interest?

http://www.cypresshills.com/

http://www.albertaparks.ca/writing-on-stone.aspx
You guys can hit the Saskatchewan High Point while your there also...since you did the Manitoba one

Nice hilly and historic area down there!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #10698
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post

"Mrs Backroader will be riding this one next year"

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Told ya it was a girls bike
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #10699
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
A guide appeareth :^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
I tried riding the dirt roads through Moose Mountain on three separate occasions. Each time I had to turn around : too muddy and wet.
It takes forever to dry out, and to make it through, you will need a long spell of dry weather/ little rain, before its passable on two wheels. I would like to eventually do it someday.
There's a cool route you can use as an alternate from Oxbow, south then through the Souris valley ( gravel ) that will connect you to Estevan and hwy 18.
If the water is high, there is a low level crossing that will be impassable . I know one rider who tried it and lost his bike, had to swim back to the road and walk out!!!!
Souris Valley just east of Hwy 9
Nothing like having a "guide" who's been there, done that. So much to see on the prairies - was reading today about the linear mounds in SW MB south of Melitta (article in the Wpg Free Press got me going), and discovered that there had been a large aboriginal permanent settlement near there too (Brockinton Indian Sites National Historic Site of Canada). Am betting an oasis like Moose Mountain would also have a significant aboriginal history.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #10700
2whlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Introducing the newest member of the stable.
Mrs Backroader will be riding this one next year
JimToe and I picked up a pair of these through Finndian, thanks to the ADV connection.
(Thanks Gord)
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Nice bike you've got there Janice. It will be a great bike to learn on.
Sounds like all that went to TBay had a good time despite the weather at the start.
We are on our way back from the east coast. Will post some pics when I get a chance. We had great riding weather in Nova Scotia.
So I take it Jim has the other one for Karen?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #10701
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrider View Post
Nice bike you've got there Janice. It will be a great bike to learn on.

So I take it Jim has the other one for Karen?
Shhhh. We don't want to scare. Have to break her in gently.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #10702
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
Well, I decided to be an optimist and perform an over due oil change now instead of waiting for freeze-up. Who knows? Might get a few more thousand K on it......of course the back tyre is just about shot right now too and I'd rather leave that until spring.

Sooooooo..... I'll need some oil again in another month or so I guess. Anyone seen any good prices about town on 10W40 MC oil? It was on sale at CT the last time I bought it.

Fun times doing my first change too. Had to run out to Princess Auto for the 8mm allen socket that I wasn't aware that I needed**, then finish up after sun down in the piss poor lighting of the garage. Mad props to those bloody germans for requiring of us 3 different tools to get the skid plate off too (and to make it more interesting one stud came out of the case).

Just shy of 15,000km now. Not bad for mostly commuting. Unless someone has a great suggestion for a new long-lasting back tyre I don't see a lot of point in switching away from the Metzeler. It's worn flat now (hardly surprising), but it's made 15,000 k

** as compensation on the way home I saw someone going down Portage on a yellow sport bike in Biker Scout armor (star wars). I could not get a picture of this awesomeness.

Mark-II screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 09:34 AM
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #10703
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
I over balanced and laid my bike down while getting it up on the centre stand to check my oil. A semi controlled drop into gravel and the only thing to touch was my folded up highway peg and one corner of a Vario. I was impressed by this. No damage whatsoever.

Not nearly so hard to pick back up as I thought it might be.

So Esel finally took a dirt nap.

Now if this damned rain would move on I could get going to my afternoon work site. I didn't bring a suit, based on the forecast.
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #10704
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
I had to pick up my Goldwing this summer when it fell over on a strangely angled parking lot. Good thing I had help.

I laid down the KLR on my lawn just to see if I can pick it up myself. No problem. Other than the brown spot on the lawn from gas dripping....
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #10705
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,743
A tip over is a scary thing when you are alone, especially when you are under it!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #10706
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
...A semi controlled drop into gravel.... No damage whatsoever.
Pride is damaged tho, or? Happens to all of us, and I think we all feel dumb about it afterwards. A few years back I was lying on the ground beside my GL1500 Gold Wing trying to slip (push!) on a new replacement muffler. I accidentally pushed it off the center stand and it fell (Thank God!) to the right away from me. Almost wore 880 lbs of mc - No damage other than a scratched mirror (in typical Honda fashion the mirrors fold back), and my pride of course, but it sure scared the crap out of me!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #10707
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Pride is damaged tho, or? Happens to all of us, and I think we all feel dumb about it afterwards. A few years back I was lying on the ground beside my GL1500 Gold Wing trying to slip (push!) on a new replacement muffler. I accidentally pushed it off the center stand and it fell (Thank God!) to the right away from me. Almost wore 880 lbs of mc - No damage other than a scratched mirror (in typical Honda fashion the mirrors fold back), and my pride of course, but it sure scared the crap out of me!
After one similar event, I now tie or strap the center-stand to the front wheel when doing work that requires muscle.
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #10708
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
After one similar event, I now tie or strap the center-stand to the front wheel when doing work that requires muscle.
Clever hint, will try to keep that in mind.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #10709
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
I heard an old local guy from Saskatchewan tell me there is an ancient Native Medicine wheel ( rock circle ) up in the hills in Moose Mountain . One more place I never got to go explore. The local natives may know where it exactly is.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #10710
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Parks Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
I heard an old local guy from Saskatchewan tell me there is an ancient Native Medicine wheel ( rock circle ) up in the hills in Moose Mountain . One more place I never got to go explore. The local natives may know where it exactly is.
Everything I've read recently indicates that Parks Canada intentionally is not actively "advertising" these aboriginal heritage sites as they're worried about vandalism... and I'm guessing sensitivities. I'm all for checking out this kind of stuff, if able. I know Chief Sitting Bull and his tribe fled across the border and took refuge in Cypress Hills after the massacre at Little Bighorn in Montana - you think the site of their camp would be known and marked!? Am always surprised this stuff isn't more accessible. Little known fact - at Pilot Mound one of the larger (largest?) battles was fought... 597 Indians massacred by approximately 1500 buffalo hunters. Alongside the highway is a very carefully (ambiguously) worded sign marking the spot. More on that here: http://www.pilotmound.com/history.shtml,
and here: http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/hrb/plaques/plaq0923.html

Worth checking out, but not much to see...

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 05:25 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote