Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #61
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
There's another interesting documentary about Senna called "Ayrton Senna - The right to win". It has been done a few years ago and shows other points of view and I think is quite complementary to the movie. HERE the full feature on yt. Enjoy and sorry if it has already been posted.
Thank you. That was excellent. As a telling of who Senna was, and of his relationship with Prost, it's roughly 100 times better than the movie Senna, which is rotten at its core.

The movie Senna has tons of rare F1 video and audio. From that point of view, it's outstanding. But it debases itself by dishonestly vilifying and demonizing Prost in order to make Senna a bigger hero than he was. Senna had faults, like any man. The linked documentary hints at those faults. The movie Senna goes out of its way to reject them and to paint a false portrait of the man.

Senna deserved better than his namesake movie.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #62
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,094
No one like him before or after. His persona is unmatchable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCWDSpwv9U
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #63
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,187
gives me tingles

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #64
Slotheee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Senna

Senna was able to drive an F1 car from that era, 4 wheel drift it out of corners in qualifying trim, then ask the crew if there was more performance left in the car.
Senna says it best about his early carting mentor, Pure racing & driving !
People with this kind of focus, talent & drive WIN, no matter what ! Others are just in the way, Prost & Racing political leaders etc, when someone Great comes along.
Senna had no choice but to act the way he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
who's to say? if someone is doing a film/docu on a fallen immortal they are usually going to do it in a positive light. to say that it was purposely left out is pure speculation. they only have 2 hours or less to get a finished product down to.

I got caught up in the Chad Reed James Steawrt SX title drama in 2010 when Stewart won it. The last race at Vegas Reed had a mathematical chance as I recall and needed a good finish with a very bad finish by Stewart.

Reed was out front and then slowed and Stewart had no choice but to pass and Reed appeared to try and...disrupt his forward progress.

Racing to the nth degree? it was Reeds ONLY option. I "hated" Reed for that but have since realized how unique these minds are. the pressure. the desire to win. etc etc etc.

Maybe Senna's mindset was if we both go out I win. game over. even he didn't seem to like it, what little they showed, but I think from what little I saw that Senna came across and was a "good" guy.

pitchers bean batters purposely in baseball, nobody thinks any less of them.

foot ball players bite, grab, hold, trip, clip, blind side, etc etc, part of the game.

you're a much more informed race fan then me but those are scary lofty zones those guys are in given the speeds. makes my beloved motocross seem like miniature golf, but it seems trying to assess those minds is pointless, they are very rare people to compete at that level of intensity.
Slotheee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #65
Slotheee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Senna

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by icewalker View Post
i remember senna in karts back in the old days - when he used his full family name. The karter he mentioned (terry fullerton) was a regular fixture at rye house back in the day. As someone who was around at the start of his career and at the end i can atest that he didn't 'drive like an idiot'. He was the most naturally talented driver i've ever seen and most likely will ever see.

I stopped watching formula 1 after imola.
Slotheee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #66
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,086
The thing I find most offensive about Senna is that out goes out of its way to vilify a great driver, Alain Prost. In order to do so it had to distort the truth. That's the main reason I dislike this fictional "documentary."

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #67
Dirtslngr
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I re-watch Senna over and over. This and the "Faster" "Fastest" movies are all great displays of pure talent, I love it.
Dirtslngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #68
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
The thing I find most offensive about Senna is that out goes out of its way to vilify a great driver, Alain Prost. In order to do so it had to distort the truth. That's the main reason I dislike this fictional "documentary."
There is a segment of the populace that is absolutely unhinged on this point. When I went to see the movie in my local art house theater John Bisignano was there to talk and answer questions after the showing. The first audience member to speak up was some guy with a Welsh accent, absolutely seething with anger for Prost. His devotion to Senna seemed religious.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #69
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
I just watched it again the other night and enjoyed it. I think it was a little biased, but not that much. I think he was the greatest pure driver ever. His record of poles shows that. For one lap, there was no one faster! Especially on q-tires and with a hand grenade qualifier turbo motor!

He was beaten for the 1978 karting world championship by an American NASCAR driver!?! Anybody know who?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #70
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,094
lake speed
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote