User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #76
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Still on board Ladybug..

...and inspired to go find some caches this weekend (depending on weather). I've been accross Hwy 12 in a truck, in the snow, winter 1996 when Interstate 90 was closed. Fun times for sure, my first solo run in a truck was up that way in one of the nastiest winters I can remember. Thanks for the memory.
Enjoying you RR. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #77
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Neat story on finding the Willapa Hills Trail cache. My excuse being on the "closed trail" would have been, "I thought it was only closed to motor vehicle traffic, not foot traffic". Luckily, I've not had to use it!

Just searching for the cache! ...and leaving gps tracks. Giggle!
I'll remember that in case I find myself in a similiar situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
...and inspired to go find some caches this weekend (depending on weather). I've been accross Hwy 12 in a truck, in the snow, winter 1996 when Interstate 90 was closed. Fun times for sure, my first solo run in a truck was up that way in one of the nastiest winters I can remember. Thanks for the memory.
Enjoying you RR. Thank you for sharing.
I'm glad that brought back good memories for you.

Enjoy you caching adventure.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #78
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
This guy looks like a biker slug all dressed up in his leathers.

I kept seeing squiggly lines on the road and wondered what made them.
Then I found the culprit.

Maybe he needs a GPS to show him where to go.
You always find fun critters out there!
nice work, LB!
(I loved the GPS line - )

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #79
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

With all the un-necessary stress it was time to relax over breakfast and on to Pe Ella I rode.

Eveyís looked like it might have a nice meal.

The bucket on the roof makes me wonder what itís for.

While I was having breakfast people came and went and it was clear it was the local meeting place. They were all older folks and some, maybe most, retired. They were talking and I was listeningÖ. They talked about farming and the crops. They talked about other people in the area. They talked politics. They talked about their hopes and dreams. There was a couple talking with another couple and the one lady talked about how they saved all their lives to travel and now they were retired and would be able to as soon as he finished recovering from his stroke. They appeared to be in their Ď70s and the man looked like he was in very bad shape, barely able to walk and dragging an oxygen bottle behind him. Sadly I donít think that lady is going to be able to achieve her dream of traveling with the man she loves.

The closer I get to my retirement years I worry I wonít have the money to do the things I want because I have spent my life doing things I wanted. Then I see people like that who worked and saved their entire lives to get to retirement but not able to enjoy it. At least when I am forced to stop doing thing I do either because of health or lack of money at least I will have my memories and ton of pictures.

The stools looked lonely

I like quaint small town churches. They always make me feel positive about the world and they remind me to say a little prayer and be thankful for the good things in life.

For a bit the ride wasnít all that spectacular

Then I saw the Menlo store and I smiled while memories ran around in my mind.

In 2007 I attended a rally that is located behind that store. There was about 100 people and only 3 or 4 women. I was a bit intimidated since I was still new in the adventure world, I didnít know anyone, and certainly the minority with being a woman. I tried to talk with a few people but I was really out of my element and I was having a difficult time making connections. Not that the people werenít friendly, they were, but I was being insecure.

As I was walking across the field which was the camping area I spotted the nicest looking bike ride in. I was riding my F650 but I hadnít seen a black and white F650 Dakar before and it really got my attention. It had a nice assortment of farkles which just added to it. I had to get a closer look so I was required to talk to itís owner.

All in all that wasnít a bad thing because the owner was alinbeaverton now know as Loud Al and he became a good friend.

Thoughts of meeting Allan made me smile then I thought about the rest of the weekend, the riding class and another friend, Tantrum, showing up and her trail makeup.

Yep, someday if I get to the point where I canít do much I will still have good memories, very good memories.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #80
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

It wasnít too long until I was following the water.

As I was headed toward Westport I saw a sign that indicated Tokeland, WA was just a short detour so I decided to see what was there.
Pretty pup

Interesting horse sculpture made from driftwood

Tokeland_Hotel

There are stories about the Tokeland Hotel being haunted but I didnít see any ghosts so it was time for me to move on.

My next stop

Time to go for another walk

I enjoyed the walk here

Thereís a cache here somewhere

Getting closer

Found it

Since I was there I decided to see where another trail wentÖ..the ocean.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #81
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

There are three State Parks in a short distance along the ocean and it was now time to look for the cache in this park.

Iíve been here before. It was during an ADV event called wetfest recon. It was a follow up weekend after a good wetfest weekend. The downside is after breakfast while riding with a group, doing an easy ride, a young man on a sport bike didnít make a corner and crashed. I was right behind him and watching someone wreck is un-nerving. He broke his collar-bone but was basically OK. SighÖ.

Back to more pleasant thoughts and finding that cache.

Oh, thatís right Iím supposed to be looking for a cache not playing with birds. The cache is over there near or on the jetty.

I looked for the cache

And looked

And looked, I spotted surfers but no cache

And looked

And never did find that little bugger so I have to return.
There was another park to find a cache in but first to check out a few of the backroads.

Dry cranberry bog

These bogs will look much different this fall when the cranberries are on.

I made my way to the next park

Once I got there I saw it was a distance to the cache. I thought about it and decided since I need to return to the area anyway I would save this one to look for it at the same time.

I hit the main road then I-5 headed for the next state-park. Sculptures along the interstate.

I must have been getting tired since I didnít take any more pictures that day. I slept well, was rested and ready to head home the next morning.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #82
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
More good stuff!

This is cool too!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #83
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
"The closer I get to my retirement years I worry I wonít have the money to do the things I want because I have spent my life doing things I wanted. Then I see people like that who worked and saved their entire lives to get to retirement but not able to enjoy it. At least when I am forced to stop doing thing I do either because of health or lack of money at least I will have my memories and ton of pictures. "

Hi Ladybug!

I've popped in on this thread a few times over the past months and I keep "bumping into" you around other ride reports I've been following. I recently decided I need to be more active on the forums so other people might get to feeling like they know me as much as I start feeling like I know them!

I wanted to poke in and say "Hi!" and let you know I'm loving your reports... then I saw this quote and had to chime in to echo my strong support for the thought: I have spent many years being berated for not "taking life seriously" and "planning for the future" and I have always held firm to the notion that it makes no sense to overlook the now for a future that may never come.

I always used my uncle as a prime example: He spent most of my lifetime working double shifts and missing his children growing up so that he could put in the required number of hours to retire with his full pension at 55. I always thought he was gambling on an unpromised future... and then, 6 months before he turned 55, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

He spent the last few months of his life struggling just to stay alive until his 55th birthday so that his wife would get the pension they had spent the last 25 years planning on spending together.

I do wish he hadn't proved to be quite such a good example of what I'd been saying all those years. But he certainly couldn't have proven my point any more profoundly!

On a less heavy note, the geocaching looks like a great way to find new places to ride. I might have to look into it myself.

I'll be looking forward to more of your gorgeous pictures!
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #84
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Hi Shesaid

Thanks for popping in, saying hi and telling us the story about your uncle. He sounds like a very dedicated man and it is so sad that he passed away much too young.

Yes, geocaching is a lot of fun. Those silly useless treasures can take you to some mighty cool places. For me, that's the real treasure.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #85
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Saturday July 13, 2013

As you follow this ongoing report you will rapidly learn that while I love motorcycles and riding I'm mechanically inept. Always have been and it looks like I always will be. Growing up the "tool box" in our home consisted of a pair of pliers, a tack hammer and a philips head screwdriver. If a flat head screwdriver was needed it was right there in the kitchen drawer most commonly used as a butter knife. Learning to use tools didnít happen, much less learning anything mechanical other than how to change the tire on my first car. Crap, it takes me 30 minutes to figure out which socket fits what when I do try to do something on my bike. Meanwhile I watch other people look at a bolt and reach over and grab the right socket every time.

With that bit of an explanation youíll have a little bit of an understanding as I tell you about my decision to go home on the 3rd day of this ride rather than staying out for another day when I still had time off work. My clutch lever had started sticking. When I would let it out the lever wouldnít go back all the way out and I would have to push it the rest of the way out. I looked at the cable, where it attaches to the lever, and it didnít look frayed so I suspected the cable was gummed up a bit. I had no idea why it would be but that was all I could think of. I decided I should head for home rather than staying out longer.

There is a cache at the Seaquest State Park that needs to be found for the challenge Iím doing but I couldnít figure out how to get to it and I wasnít into looking so I decided to get headed toward home instead of looking any further. I was in a funky mood.

I headed North on I-5 but luckily I didnít have to stay on the interstate very long and I exited onto Hwy 12. My plan was to ride this highway on my way home because no matter how many times I have ridden it I always enjoy the ride. There is a restaurant on highway 12 right after leaving the interstate and I decided breakfast and a hot cup of coffee sounded like just what I needed.

These stickers were pretty interesting. Inside I kept looking around trying to determine who was driving that vehicle. I didnít figure it out.

After breakfast I wasnít feeling as funky and was looking forward to the dayís ride. As I rode east I started thinking that it would be fun to ride up to Windy Ridge (A Mt. St. Helenís viewpoint). I was thinking about my clutch cable, the need to go home, and the desire to ride to up and look at the exploding mountain. The closer I got to the turn off the more I wanted to go. When I arrived in Randle, WA my motorcycle turned and headed for the mountain.

Mt. St. Helens is a Pacific Northwest volcano that decided to blow up in 1980. Anyone that was around that day remembers it. I was around and I remember that day very well even though I was about 200 miles away, as the crow flies. At the time I worked a graveyard shift and slept during the day so when the mountain blew I was asleep. When I got up for the day it was sort of gray outside but I didnít think anything of it, figuring the sky was just overcast. I went to the store and while I was in the store ash started to fall. I had no idea the mountain had blown until people in the store said Mt. St Helens blew. The ash fall got heavier and heavier and the sky kept getting darker until it looked like midnight at 4:00 pm.

For a few weeks it felt like we would never see the sunshine again. Vehicles were parked because sucking in the ash clogged the air filters and killed engines. Emergency vehicles, for the most part, were also parked. The police cars would go to the garage between each shift to have the oil, oil filter and air filters changed just to keep them running. Walking outside was a walk through about 12" of fine volcanic ash. The ash piled on roofs and clogged gutters. People were trying to clean the ash and dispose of it. The hospitals were full with people having breathing problems. Meanwhile others were wearing masks when they would go outside. Some people collected jars of ash to keep. I didnít. I just wanted that nasty, dirty, stuff to go away. Some said I would one day regret not having a jar of "keepsake" I said I doubt it. All these years later I still donít regret not having a jar of ash.

A couple of years after the eruption the road to Windy Ridge opened. When it opened like many others I headed out to see what happened, first hand. WOW Ė I still remember that first ride up toward Windy Ridge. At the time only a short ways was paved the rest of the road was fairly rough dirt/gravel. Most people didnít go beyond the end of the pavement. At the time I rode a street bike but I rode that nasty (it would be easy on a dual sport bike) rode so I could get as close as possible. The most memorable thing for me was riding through a lush forest then I rounded a curve and BAM! No more lush forest, instead there was the remains of stripped trees, trees blow down, and blackened ground cover. It was like going into a different world.

At least every few years and many times every year I ride up to Windy Ridge just to see how things are changing and watch mother nature heal her world.

As I was riding along and still quite a distance from Windy Ridge I saw a "Slide Area" sign and thought, "I donít remember that". Then I saw this.

Hmmmm that looks different

This is new

I stopped at a viewpoint with a ranger station at it so I could get my day pass.

And look at the information signs. Every year more and more is added for tourist enjoyment.

From there it was to the Minerís Car. The first time I saw it, there was a lot more to it however it had been stripped of all itís paint. Sadly three people had signed a waiver to go into the "blue zone" knowing there was the threat that the mountain would erupt. They had gone to a cabin in that car and all three died there. The cabin was disintegrated, the car was lifted and dropped 60 feet away, where it rests now.

As I said more and more things are being added for the enjoyment of the tourists. A walking path and boardwalk over wetlands has been added to the Miner Car viewpoint so I decided to go for a walk. Come take a walk with me and enjoy the scenery.

I have places to go

And there she is, the mountain. You can still see the crater on the North side of the mountain. Still at times steam will rise from the crater but it wasnít doing it this time.

The road is fun to ride

Stopped at another viewpoint

There is a great view of Spirit Lake here.

The white on the lake is logs that were blown into the lake when the mountain erupted. The elevation of the lake rose when it was filled with mud sliding off Mt. St. Helens.

From there it was on to the end of the road and the Windy Ridge Viewpoint.

And more views, other mountains were showing that day as well. I think this one is Adams (?)

This lady was getting a shot of her dog with Mt. St. Helens in the background.

Toutle River

I donít know who this guy is but I sure like the picture of the bike in front of the mountain.

I went and listened to the Ranger give her talk about the eruption of Mt St Helens and the things that have happened in the area since. She did a good job and she made the information very intersting.

During the presentation there was about a dozen cruisers that decided to leave the parking lot. The majority of them started their bikes and quietly left from the far side of the parking lot. Meanwhile there were three rides that chose to ride over next to the presentation area and reved up their bikes as they rode by. Hmmmmmm I wonder why some people donít like cruiser riders? Those three made the entire group look rude and obnoxious.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #86
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Time to wrap this ride up and make my way homeÖÖ

During the presentation about the eruption of Mt. St. Helens the ranger talked about many things and one of those things was how the blast turned the trees into compass needles pointed north. Hereís some of those compass needles on the hillside.

In 1980 that hillside was stripped clear of standing trees now trees are returning but yet the fallen trees are still there reminding us what happened all those years ago.

Donít forget to stop and enjoy the flowers, they are very nice this time of year.

Time to go home

Where I was

Almost to Naches, WA on Hwy 12

It was getting late and time to make miles so I could get home before dark. As much as it didnít thrill me I was riding the interstate the rest of the way home.

Not long and I was feeling tired and I needed to be rejuvenated plus my bike needed fuel. A stop in George, WA would do the trick. It looks like a few other people needed a fuel stop too.

The soldiers were picking up munchies in the convenience store and were very polite.

My dinner - not all that great but it did the trick.

There were a couple tables behind the gas station/store so I took a break, had dinner and enjoyed the beautiful early evening.
The tables were made by the Job Corps.

Leaving George I was entertained by the signs with the crop names along the interstate.

I like the crop names out there so I know what Iím looking at. I wish all farmers would do this. Itís about a 20 mile stretch where this is done. In the winter these same fields have holiday decoration displayed and they have been there for years. The displays are lit at night and I think they used to be powered by car batteries but now by solar panels. Itís pretty cool at any rate. Someone is dedicated.

This stretch of I-90 I have been traveling since I was 16 when I first started driving. I don't have even a close estimate of how many times I have driven/ridden it but I'm sure it's in the hundreds. Iím always looking to see if I can spot something I that I haven't noticed before. Sometimes I do, most times not.

I got bored and started to play with my shadow.

Uh oh, shadow better stop screwing around or itís going to get ran over.

Just a few miles out of Spokane the sun set and for a few brief moments it as very pretty.

At home I was tired and too lazy to put my bike away so I parked the bike in the back yard to deal with in the morning.

The stats

Remember I was worried about my clutch cable? Needless to say I got home fine. The next day after unpacking the bike as I was pushing it into the garage I was at the perfect angle and I could see what was wrong with the clutch lever and why I had to push the lever back when I would let go of it. The hand-guard had worked itís way down just a little and was rubbing on top of the clutch lever. Sheeshhhhh - - - At least it was an easy fix.

Next up: A Superbug ride with two other gals headed for a ladies ride and campout in Tygh Valley, OR.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #87
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Memories

Posting St. Helens brought back some memories. I was in the Army stationed at Ft. Lewis when the eruption took place and some ash on our vehicles. That summer we went home for a vacation and I remember the ash piled up like snow at a rest stop on I-90 near Ellensburg. Put some in a baby jar, though I've since lost it. Went up where you did in 1991. Sure has changed over the years.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #88
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
wow!

What a cool ride/geocaching report! It has everything in it!

BSkye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:26 AM   #89
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Posting St. Helens brought back some memories. I was in the Army stationed at Ft. Lewis when the eruption took place and some ash on our vehicles. That summer we went home for a vacation and I remember the ash piled up like snow at a rest stop on I-90 near Ellensburg. Put some in a baby jar, though I've since lost it. Went up where you did in 1991. Sure has changed over the years.

So, you were one of the people that helped clean up the ash one jar at a time? I think more people have misplaced/lost their jars of ash than ones that still have them.

You're right it has changed up there but at the same time there is still a lot that's close to the same like all those logs in Spirit Lake, the trees laying on the ground pointed North and the mud flow of the Toutle River.

If you get a chance go up there again, it's always changing and always interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkye View Post

What a cool ride/geocaching report! It has everything in it!

Thanks. I'm glad you popped in to see what's going on.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #90
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
The stools looked lonely

I love the picture of the stools

2007 seems like a long time ago

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote