KillUrTv

Professor

Beautiful day, Oregon Canyons bound...

kurtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #32
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Oddometer: 209

That is the forecast that we all saw before the trip (saved off the mega text message planning thread).
We seem to have all dismissed it as a slight chance of minor showers.

Remind me to list the mistakes later...

Back to the ride.

Climbing up into the Oregon Canyon Mountains

From the top we can see that it's raining back in the Alvord. Uh Oh

kurtw screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 09:47 PM
Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #33
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,759
Onward towards another playa and our mountain tour goal

My bike came with this stupid thermometer dipstick that suddenly decided to fail. Engine oil is puddling on it then flicking little drops on to myself and dripping on the header for that wonderful burnt petroleum odor.

Who cares what temp the XR is? Stupid invention.

We stop at a junction to try and JB Weld the thing sealed.

It didn’t work, now I have a slurry of hot oil and diluted JB Weld spooging around and stinking

KillUrTV on the 990

Beastly in the poof dust

Got to this really fun high-speed, rock free run.

Kurt.

N2Moto sequence

N2 swapped me his tranny plug off the 450 (not pressurized) and the leaking stopped - thanks N2!
Found our way up into the north end of the mountains

Kurt

Heavy weather to the west of us. Hmmmm, that’s where we’re headed. Oh it’ll just sprinkle a little, we’ll be fine.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
kurtw
Child of the Wind

The ride after this lunch stop started to get a little hectic and I basically stopped taking photos.
  • The Professor had a get-off. I'll let him elaborate. We met a 90 year old rancher who had lived his whole life in the area and his son exploring on a side-by-side. The Professor scored a beer.
  • My bike stopped running just as the rain was starting to hit the mountains. It died suddenly when I hit a little bump so it had to have been some loose electrical connection. No blink codes to go by this time but wiggling all the wires including the infamous coil connectors. After that it ran perfectly the rest of the day (thank goodness)
  • By the time we hit Whitehorse ranch road, the rain was pelting us hard and we were getting wet and cold fast. ("It won't do more than sprinkle...")
  • Wach's bike needed a couple of fuel transfers to reach Fields on fumes.
What did I forget?

We arrived at Fields soaked and shivering just in time to get food orders in before the grill was shut down.
I sacrificed a space blanket/bag and made it into some very fashionable underwear. Wachs got in on the act. I will never NOT have one of those in my pack again. It worked like magic and I was comfy all the way back to camp.

As we were riding into Fields and getting warmed up, the thought coming to the fore for all of us was the state of the playa and our camp on the FAR side of it. N2Moto and I were especially concerned since we both had dogs couped up in the vans.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #35
Mr Dual Sport OP
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtw View Post

We arrived at Fields soaked and shivering just in time to get food orders in before the grill was shut down.
I sacrificed a space blanket/bag and made it into some very fashionable underwear. Wachs got in on the act. I will never NOT have one of those in my pack again. It worked like magic and I was comfy all the way back to camp.
Epic! I can't wait for the next set of pics!

I ALWAYS carry a space blanket in my pack. Never know. There is also a master link now taped in there, and my one in my tank bag and one in my Coyote. Won't make that mistake twice!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #36
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post
Epic! I can't wait for the next set of pics!

I ALWAYS carry a space blanket in my pack. Never know. There is also a master link now taped in there, and my one in my tank bag and one in my Coyote. Won't make that mistake twice!
Yes I always carry a space blanket for emergency shade or bivy. I've deployed it for the former a few times. But it was just the thing to keep warm after getting soaked and cold.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #37
The Professor
Minky says ride

Oddometer: 29
Yea, it was the first get off of the entire trip for me. I digger into the ground as I was hammering my way up a rocky trail when the front wheel hits a rock and moves left, the momentum continues and the bike power-drives me into the ground at speed. I think I might have a concussion, then a deep breath tells me the ribs are affected. I have broken my ribs before and the feeling is unmistakeable.

Here are a couple of x-rays that I got on Monday:

In the center, you can see where rib 6 is broken and displaced

Rib 7 is fairly obvious on the left side.

The beer was great. If you are going to crash, its nice to have beverages delivered to you asap. I know there are some photos of me trying to get my shit together. Looking forward to seeing those, not!

I have a rule, now broken like ribs 6 and 7, "Don't borrow someone's bike or hold someone's baby, because you will either fall in love with it, or drop it" I dropped it! Hard.

After an appropriate amount of time, I decide I can ride out, there really is no option. But I'm still a little shaken up, so N2 takes my bike up the rest of the rocky uphill. I walk, slowly. Kicking it over is difficult, but fortunately adrenaline is working for me. At this point we still have over a hundred miles to camp. It is a very long and painful ride especially the washboard on White Horse Ranch Rd.
No more photos for me as it was all whiskey and ibuprofen after that.
We all survived that hella ride. More chaos awaits.
1981 BMW R100RS
1979 BMW R65
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #38
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Epic.

More please.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #39
OR400
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Come on. I have lots of work to avoid. On with the story.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
wachs
just passin' through

Disaster Peak out there. My bike will need to mooch some fuel to get to Fields. No problem, there’s plenty extra on the others’ machines.

I come around this rocky corner and Professor is down!

He rung his bell pretty good and takes his time getting it together.

But he’s not bleeding or anything, seems like he’ll shake it off. We’re about 1/2 way through the ride and as far away from a rescue as possible at this point.

Professor hops back on the bike and we continue south. The temperature is dropping and we can smell rain blowing our direction.

Down off the summit and headed into the weather we come to this little obstacle and there’s no KurtW?

N2Moto scouts the line.

more . . .

Old 09-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #41
wachs
just passin' through

Professor seems OK and is riding fine

Killurtv handles that beast

Still no KurtW so N2 goes back to see if he’s OK

Kurt shook something electrical loose but they got it sorted pretty quick and back on the trail

Let’s get going!

No pictures of the 35 mile deluge we rode through to get to Fields about 4PM. I was completely soaked and going through the list of stupid things I did not bring with on this anticipated sunny desert tour. Face mask, Latex gauntlet gloves (XXL that slide right over moto gloves), hand guards, extra layers, lip balm, SPACE BLANKET! Kurt had one and we split it for the 35 miles back to camp. Stuffed that thing into my gear and we headed north into the weather and just hoping the playa is crossable back to our camp.

Hey don’t laugh too hard - those things actually work!

So many shots we didn’t stop to take. Followed N2 onto the super slick and gooey surface. He had no problems but my bald-assed rear tire was quite thrilling on this surface. Professor out there soldiering on.

I didn’t see Killurtv behind me so I stopped and got off my bike - another mistake

It doesn’t look that bad but you could barely walk on that stuff

Killurtv had the out riggers down and rode for miles on that 990 but never went down. Got back to camp, there’s my ancient North Face VE25 tent that no longer sheds water.

N2Moto’s 2 wheel drive van and trailer

Sad camp

It kinda let up for a bit and we made the decision to high-tail off the playa

Packed up all our muddy crap and headed west for the shoreline

Killurtv went ahead in his 4WD Tundra and told us to go 45 mph or we’d get stuck

That worked great till we spun the Sprinter van - scariest thing I’ve been through in 2013 but KurtW got us off the mud and we paid to camp across from the hot springs. Took a soak and hit the hay. My brother and his contingent decided to stick it out at camp and hope for better conditions the next day. I couldn’t risk it due to work.

There were some others soaking when finally got there.

4 people from camp decided to get their rig completely stuck in the perma-puddle down from the springs. The next morning it was better but they were completely stuck out there. They had been warned

Paul form the ALvord ranch stopped by to coordinate the tow.

We headed for Crane to have breakfast and possibly soak.

Crystal Crane Hot Springs

Brothers, OR

Rainbow near KurtW’s house

There’s more but that’s all I have - thanks for the ride Kurt!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #42
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
The Prof: not looking too chipper in those pics!

Wox has girlie handguards.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #43
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
That wet lake bed gave me the chills!

Great report with great pic's.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #44
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
HOLY freakin epic. Coming back to a lake on the playa is the stuff of nightmares, can't believe you guys made it out of there. I'll bet that ride out with two broken ribs was just peachy. Kurt I can't imagine the sigh of relief when your bike came back to life. Funny how quickly things can get sketchy out there.
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #45
wachs
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
HOLY freakin epic. Coming back to a lake on the playa is the stuff of nightmares, can't believe you guys made it out of there. I'll bet that ride out with two broken ribs was just peachy. Kurt I can't imagine the sigh of relief when your bike came back to life. Funny how quickly things can get sketchy out there.

Yes, especially if you're from 'out of town' (Killurtv shot). We were long gone at this point.