User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #31
Blago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
around bangkok

Can anyone recommend good routes for 1-2 day trips out of bangkok? The riding in the city is absolutley horrible and I regret bringing my bike here, but I think I'll try to make the most of it. I am looking for twisty backroads since I used to ride in the US, and don't really want to see boring flat straight roads anymore. Thanks.
Blago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #32
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blago View Post
Can anyone recommend good routes for 1-2 day trips out of bangkok? The riding in the city is absolutley horrible and I regret bringing my bike here, but I think I'll try to make the most of it. I am looking for twisty backroads since I used to ride in the US, and don't really want to see boring flat straight roads anymore. Thanks.
Head to Kao Yai National Park or River Kwai (in the other direction). Getting to either of those places from BKK is about a 2 hr slog but worth it once you get there. Quiet twisty roads and about 10 degrees cooler.

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #33
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Blago - Canaoli has some good roads within a couple hours of BKK. The Khao Yai national park is a nice sportbike type road. Keep in mind its the only road through that area and a main destination area so the weekends will pack the roads with cars and take the joy out of running it at a good clip on a bike. midweek is better.

For the best sportbike/supermotard tarmac roads though you've got to go to Northern Thailand. North of Chiang Mai and heading east along the Thai borders of Myanmar and Laos are the best roads to enjoy. Roads like the 1091 and 1148 near Nan are fantastic bits of tire sliding fun without as much traffic as Kanchanburi and Khao Yai.

Get on some of the local South East Asian motorbike websites like Ride Asia and GT Rider for road recommendations.

Enjoy.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #34
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,461
Hwy 12 east of Lom Sak is mighty nice and very popular with Bangkok riders. The ride up on hwy 21 is ok once past Saraburi.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #35
Yasmarbi
n00b

Oddometer: 7
The 1148 from Chaing Khong to Nan is 150k of racetrack.
Plenty of good riding in the north.
www.gt-rider.com for plenty info
Yasmarbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #36
Yasmarbi
n00b

Thumb

Magic road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
Hwy 12 east of Lom Sak is mighty nice and very popular with Bangkok riders. The ride up on hwy 21 is ok once past Saraburi.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #37
Asia Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Rather than using hwy 21 up north to lomsak, I usually combine Khao Yai and further north to Khon khaen on route 2 catching route 12 on the easter of the city. reckon this is slightly longer trip but route 2 is a very enjoyable ride and also gives you the chance to head up to loei. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
Asia Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #38
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
A question for you guys that have made the trip over from the US &/or live in Thailand.

My son & GF are headed to the Krabi area for a month+. We need to get some sort of phone thing sorted out so that we are able to contact each other. They are taking one iphone (US service provider) & a laptop but it sounds like they plan to buy a local phone when they get there. What is the most economical arrangement for calling from the US? Int'l calling card? Sounds like Skype is in the works too.

Thanks, TD
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #39
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post
A question for you guys that have made the trip over from the US &/or live in Thailand.

My son & GF are headed to the Krabi area for a month+. We need to get some sort of phone thing sorted out so that we are able to contact each other. They are taking one iphone (US service provider) & a laptop but it sounds like they plan to buy a local phone when they get there. What is the most economical arrangement for calling from the US? Int'l calling card? Sounds like Skype is in the works too.

Thanks, TD
There's cell phone shops everywhere. 700 baht/$20 should pick you up a basic Nokia. Tesco carries them too. Maybe when your son buys it get the clerk to do the SIM card installation and change the operating language to English. A SIM card maybe 50 baht and then just keep filling the time up with cards you can buy at any 7/11. True or 12Call are OK companies. For phoning the North America I just dial direct. Not expensive. When you phone Thailand I think a calling card would be the best. Wallyworld international calling cards work OK. Maybe 5 cents a minute.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #40
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh kood View Post
There's cell phone shops everywhere. 700 baht/$20 should pick you up a basic Nokia. Tesco carries them too. Maybe when your son buys it get the clerk to do the SIM card installation and change the operating language to English. A SIM card maybe 50 baht and then just keep filling the time up with cards you can buy at any 7/11. True or 12Call are OK companies. For phoning the North America I just dial direct. Not expensive. When you phone Thailand I think a calling card would be the best. Wallyworld international calling cards work OK. Maybe 5 cents a minute.

Thanks for your reply. It's nice it's actually that simple, I was expecting it to be more complicated. Will pick up a Int'l calling card when we get a new phone # from him.

Best, Ted
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #41
Yasmarbi
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post
Thanks for your reply. It's nice it's actually that simple, I was expecting it to be more complicated. Will pick up a Int'l calling card when we get a new phone # from him.

Best, Ted

Trying to understand all the different deals and rats is a whole different world.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #42
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmarbi View Post
Trying to understand all the different deals and rats is a whole different world.
What I was talking about was a "pay as you go" phone plan. Just add money/time when you run low. No contract or anything. It's the simplest way I thought. I guess I wasn't clear enough.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #43
bennyblue
n00b

Oddometer: 9
im in pattaya........im up for a drive if anyone's ever around....hit me up.

[IMG][/IMG]
bennyblue is offline   Reply With Quote