Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
regomodo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Used one of these along with a lump hammer on some nast old metzlers/continentals. Easy peasy
regomodo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by east high View Post
What's a good brand of spoons?
Big ones. Set the tires in the sun and the stock ones in the under seat kit work fine on /5 wire wheels.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_C_Ries View Post
I am going to try using some plastic cut from a 1 gallon milk jug as a rim protector next time I change tires, just to see what happens.
Hint: just buy some regular rim protectors at a motorcycle shop. They're cheap and really thick plastic. Won't cut through. Do the job. I got 2 sets (4 total) just to make life easier. And I'm all kinds of cheap.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Sometimes I just like to experiment,
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #20
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre170 View Post
Thanks all. As always, I appreciate the advice. I always enjoy doing stuff myself when able, but also may be worth calling the shop to see what they would charge.....possibly the small fee is worth saving my frustration in advance...
I found I could change out a tube or tire on my /5 easily. Set every thing in the sun to warm up, etc.

Snowflake /7 wheels were a whole 'nother matter. MAJOR PITA from start to finish. I even bought a jug of RuGlyde. I got mongo tire levers and rim protectors. At the end, I had to use my largest air line off a 60 gallon tank with the valve core removed to seat the bead. The 1/4" airline just wouldn't get it. I am NOT happy. Even changing a tube on the road is going to be extremely iffy with out some special ($$$) tools. That bead breaker/ tire iron combo tool looks sweet, just costly. looks worth the money, heavy, but it'll do it. I don't think a portable tire pump or a coin op gas station compressor will properly seat a bead, but you can limp to a good source of air at a shop somewhere. Pressure doesn't work, you need big flow to keep the bead moving. One pause and it grabs. At the moment I don't even carry tire irons. Useless. Pull the wheel and hitch to a shop or call AAA to haul the bike to a shop. Pisses me off. I'm looking for wire wheels. Costly but if I can fully change a tire roadside I can deduct the cost of a fancy portable changing rig and it stops being quite so silly.

I have gotten rear flats on tour. Not fun.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
I had to leave my bike on the side of the road without a back wheel once, I hated the feeling.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 474
Anyone using.......

BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool Set

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0519/

looks like it might be all you need..?

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #23
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I think you should change your own tires if you can. I have tried and because of my inherent stupidity or just old age I always fail. I take my BMW Airhead wheels and new tires and new tubes to the local Honda dealer. Where they do it for a reasonable price.

But give it a try. Plenty of videos on YouTube about changing tires.
Amen.
I always try to do what I can on the bike & something easy like changing tyres Pfffft - I've changed thousands of MTB tyres & a few on UJMs how hard can it be?

Well after nipping 2 tubes on one wheel & still failing after subsequent attempts, it is now one job that I admit defeat on & I take my wheel with head hanging low to the guys that do it every day.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
190e
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Not sure if the OP was talking about snowflakes or spoked wheels. When I moved from non airhead spoked wheels to snowflakes I couldn't believe how much harder it was to change tires. I've been there breaking the beads on snowflakes and had to use colossal force to do it. Always makes me question the perceived wisdom on the other common tire thread topic.

According to the theory when using tubeless tires without tubes on snowflake rims the profile doesn't retain the bead once the air is let out and the tire beads will fall relatively easily into the wheel well - ergo they are unsafe.

I think not.
190e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
regomodo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 190e View Post
Not sure if the OP was talking about snowflakes or spoked wheels. When I moved from non airhead spoked wheels to snowflakes I couldn't believe how much harder it was to change tires. I've been there breaking the beads on snowflakes and had to use colossal force to do it. Always makes me question the perceived wisdom on the other common tire thread topic.

According to the theory when using tubeless tires without tubes on snowflake rims the profile doesn't retain the bead once the air is let out and the tire beads will fall relatively easily into the wheel well - ergo they are unsafe.

I think not.
Apart from struggling to get the bead to sit correctly (i didn't have a man-enough pump) I found fitting roadriders to snowflakes a piece of cake. Maybe it's tyre combos that make a difference. Fitting Pirelli MT43's onto a different bike was murder.
regomodo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
190e
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Breaking and seating the bead aside putting new tires on snowflakes always seems easier than getting them off. I think I put the last one on without using levers. Maybe it will come off easier than some.
190e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #27
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190e View Post
Breaking and seating the bead aside putting new tires on snowflakes always seems easier than getting them off. I think I put the last one on without using levers. Maybe it will come off easier than some.
I gotta feeling there is something to the tire too.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #28
kniepm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_C_Ries View Post
I am going to try using some plastic cut from a 1 gallon milk jug as a rim protector next time I change tires, just to see what happens.
Shampoo, body wash bottles are a bit heavier and don't tear quite as easily.
kniepm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Amen.
I always try to do what I can on the bike & something easy like changing tyres Pfffft - I've changed thousands of MTB tyres & a few on UJMs how hard can it be?

Well after nipping 2 tubes on one wheel & still failing after subsequent attempts, it is now one job that I admit defeat on & I take my wheel with head hanging low to the guys that do it every day.
I change all my bicycle tires without tools. I don't bother carrying levers anymore.

On the bike, the guys that do it every day have a dynamic balancing machine and a goodly assortment of weights. Just can't beat that and I take the wheels for dynamic balancing anyway, they may as well change them too.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
I am a country boy...sure I could have gone to the wood pile for a 2x4. Just happened to have this laying around, darn bears in the cherry trees.

I camp so always carry a saw... Fence post and a rock could also work, should I try? Lots of rocks here....

Notoriously difficult to break bead...R100GS. Could have been worse that's an Avon. Easier than Metzlers....Popped.

Bolted to the bench....easy peasy....!Them Motion Pro rim protectors don't fit the GS wheels. That's fine did no scratches....

Pop....so easy I did it twice just to amuse myself on a rainy day.

But the bead sure was stuck, darn POs not cleaning the rims or using the right tire lubes.

Darn beads (Dyna....), now I have to clean the shop.

Tube type...get one of those, always a pita holding the valve stem in place or even fishing it through the rim. Sturdy that one will even let you install valves on tubeless rims, did one last week end.

I should go do a car tire,I popped the bead on two last weekend the same way to fix leaky beads but I'd like to relearn the fine arts of "patching". I was good at that in my youth, old tire jockey. Not practising that on a good bike tire.