ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #9391
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutti312 View Post
Just curious to hear about the different ways (if there are any) that the ADVrider folks find the tags. Do you scope them out on an unfolded paper map, instinctively know where they are, use Google Maps, GPS?
And, then, when you figure out where they are, do take advantage of an opportunity to ride out in the open.....?
Googlefu.

With satellite and street view you can pretty much confirm the location before even starting out.
Ofcourse the more fun thing is just to get a general idea and go ride, but that usually takes much longer and often results in a bruce.

Remember when you are out riding to stop occasionally to get a picture that can be used for a tag location so you can quickly post one up next time you tag.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #9392
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
That's less than a half mile from where i work. And yes it's delicious.
Sounds like we need to have a pre-work ADV breakfast some day soon. I live close and Hateithere lives and works close to Fred's.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #9393
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Just curious to hear about the different ways (if there are any) that the ADVrider folks find the tags. Do you scope them out on an unfolded paper map, instinctively know where they are, use Google Maps, GPS?
And, then, when you figure out where they are, do take advantage of an opportunity to ride out in the open.....?
I use a Ouija Board, or if that fails we kidnap the person who posted and give them sodium pentothal. So far neither has been very effective.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #9394
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Sounds like we need to have a pre-work ADV breakfast some day soon. I live close and Hateithere lives and works close to Fred's.
Sounds good to me. I start work at 7, so it would have to be pretty early.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #9395
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,482
Quote:

I'd have to re-learn how to set an alarm clock
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #9396
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,412
Quote:
I generally Google them. I will give a tag about 5 minutes of searching, if I can't find it in that time span, or at least narrow it down to a small area, I usually leave it alone. It's a game designed to get people riding, not jerking off behind a computer.

Back in the day, over on the Ohio tag thread, it was common practice to post bizzare clues and have people totally lost. Shit, one tag was literally lost because the guy who posted the picture forgot where he had taken it! That game is way better now, generally the clues are easily searchable and the tag can be found within my 5 minute marker. I still find some NEO clues to be hard, some posters assume that everyone has a great deal of local knowledge and that isn't always the case.

Some tags I recognize from riding around, others are famous enough that they are identifiable by anyone.

I generally try to get tags at times that most other people are occupied - weekdays during work hours, or nights during normal person sleeping hours. Having a job with odd shifts makes this easy for me. Typically I will ride straight to a tag, post it from my phone, and then explore in the area and just gradually and not directly poke around back towards home. This helps cut down on my being bruced.

I also pay attention to where people live and the areas they commonly post tags in.

Overall, it's a fun game that provides an interesting distraction, motivates me to ride more, and educates me about things I did not know. I enjoy it.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #9397
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

And I've learned Mark likes to post tags along the far boundaries of the tagging area.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #9398
Honda501
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Count me in

Quote:

I love bacon!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #9399
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Deep fried bacon!!!

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #9400
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Put some miles on the connie after work today. Rode over to Indiana for the weekend. Usually sucks balls riding the KTM out here, but it was easy on the big beast. Only had to stop once for gas too!

Did the most miles i ever have on a bike without stopping, 170. Felt like i did about 45 on the KTM. The thing just eats miles. Had a nice close call with a stupid little doe right after the state line. Dumb shit stood in the middle of the road as i came to a screeching halt in front of it. Never moved until i was almost stopped. The brakes on this bike leave a lot to be desired, especially since i'm used to supermoto brakes, stopping a bike well under half the weight of this one.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #9401
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 359
In

Quote:
Count me in. Send me a message. I've finally stepped into the current w/ a modern phone. Would love to come. Need to get some tips on posting tags from the road from someone.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #9402
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,943
At this time I will be trail riding from 9-12 if anyone is interested then I plan to leave crow canyon mx at noon for a back roads cruise if anyone is interested. Be warned, we're going exploring so don't show up on a street bike.

PM is mandatory or I won't wait or look for you.

Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #9403
The Roadie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
TAG! Sad i didnt get to eat here.. but maybe someday I will have time tonenjoy the deep fried bacon.

My grom grom looks so small on that sidewalk. Haha.
The Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #9404
The Roadie
Adventurer

NEXT TAG:
I decided to go to a place I've never been before.. a lake just north of rt 39. And just to make it more fun, I turned off the first road I saw. (It just happened to be gravel) This tag is at the corner of Fargo rd and Rose rd. This is the gravel turn off.

Beauty shot!

It was a bit of a feat on my 12" wheels.. my grom did NOT like 3rd gear, that big thick gravel made my front end want to wash out like crazy.. it was definitely still the most fun road I rode on for this 120mi trip though!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #9405
The Roadie
Adventurer

Whoops, first time tagging. Anyone upset with the gravel? Just found out I made a noob mistake (the bf said I shouldve tagged pavement.) This gravel though was not gnarly what so ever, any bike could be taken on it. Hence my grom was on it.