ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #2536
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Ride To Cairo

JuniorScout,

If you go over on the Illinois side, there are zillions of routes down to Cairo. Once you get past Chester, you can probably ride gravel levees in the river bottoms all the way down, (or until you're sick of them...). Cool routes abound, Sieg will tell you!

Darren

*It's a KLR, I'll catch up*
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #2537
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
A goofy little video from Tilton offroad park Sunday

"a few cellvids of us playing around, teaching Basil how to jump, Brian doing a terrible job filming Basil's two decent jumps, and then Basil running out of fuel on the way home"

Gamequeazy's helmet cam from earlier in the day:

mellephants screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 04:21 PM
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #2538
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,332
That bike ain't got no knobbies. It's a road racer.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #2539
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
True story. I roosted him for the mistake.

He currently wants fatknobbies.
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #2540
JuniorScout
Junior Scout

Oddometer: 15
Dirt route through Illinois

Sieg and dwthump,

Thanks for the advice. I will leave St Louis next Friday, the 4th, in the afternoon. I plane to ride dirt all the way down to Cairo, sleep, and then jump on the TAT all the way across Arkansas back to Bentonville.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #2541
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Great!

Good luck brother! The Miss. river valley is very cool all the way down, you can see the bluffs most anywhere along the route.

Darren

Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #2542
Squishymonster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hola from Champaign, IL

Hey folks. I'm a new-ish KLR rider in Champaign, IL. I saw that there are at least a couple of other people on here from nearby so I got registered to say hi.

I'd be really interested in a weekend cruise, or some slower off road practice so let me know if you're up for anything.

I use to drive a DR350 and did a fair amount of off-road with that, and then switched to a CBR600, then up until this summer I hadn't ridden for a couple of years. I recently got the KLR out of the break-in period so I'm starting to get out and about with it a bit more.

I'm really interested in doing some long distance adv touring at some point, but I need to get use to this heavier bike in the dirt. Trans WI Adventure Trail is top on my list, and maybe a Mississippi river run.
Squishymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #2543
Gamequeazy
Curbjumper

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishymonster View Post
Hey folks. I'm a new-ish KLR rider in Champaign, IL. I saw that there are at least a couple of other people on here from nearby so I got registered to say hi.

I'd be really interested in a weekend cruise, or some slower off road practice so let me know if you're up for anything.

I use to drive a DR350 and did a fair amount of off-road with that, and then switched to a CBR600, then up until this summer I hadn't ridden for a couple of years. I recently got the KLR out of the break-in period so I'm starting to get out and about with it a bit more.

I'm really interested in doing some long distance adv touring at some point, but I need to get use to this heavier bike in the dirt. Trans WI Adventure Trail is top on my list, and maybe a Mississippi river run.
Once my bum ankle heals up a bit (damn logs in the middle of mud puddles!) I'd be down.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #2544
wasions
Hang 10

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishymonster View Post

See here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873494

'06 Tiger (HANG 10); '99 DR350
Bigzoner peg No. 123
"Keep Brotherhood 'Til Die"
wasions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #2545
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

New KLR Squishymonster

Hey Squishymonster,

Enjoy your KLR, I have an '09. There seems to be a good ADV representation in the Champaign area, should get a lot of support. KLR's are great and there is a ton of after-market farkles available.

If you want to learn good D/S skills, keep the 15t countershaft sprocket on it, it allows the bike to be ridden slower in the dirt with good torque. Ride the multiple gravel roads out in the country, it's not far away. Most KLR owners switch out to a 16t for increased speeds, me included, do it later.

The stock tires are ok in the dirt but you may need to drop the pressure if you're doing a lot of D/S stuff. Sand will kill a KLR, stock tires will not do. You will need more aggressive tires and honestly, they don't perform badly for all-around riding. My current tire trial is a Kenda270 on the back and a Shinko 244 on the front, works fine but took a little getting used to in the twisties.

Darren

Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #2546
dougsdrive
Purposely Lost

[IMG][/IMG]
dougsdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #2547
Squishymonster
Adventurer

Shangri La Rd South of Danville

Hey William42, when I first hopped on this thread it was your photos that caught my eye. I thought "that landscape looks familiar, must be close". Though I can't place it. Champaign is generally way flatter than even that, but there are a couple of subtle hills here and there. Maybe it's Mahomet area?

A couple Sundays ago I took a ride about 40 minutes East to Shangri La Rd. a bit South West(ish) of Danville. Anyone riding in the area might enjoy checking it out. Nothing too special, but relative to what we have around here it is nice.

I didn't have my GoPro set up at the time, but I will try to get back over there and make a little helmet-cam video.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=b...=h&mra=ls&z=14

I like that whole area because it is pretty much the closest "continuous" forest we can get to since it generally extends South East into Indiana.
Squishymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #2548
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
Yo Squishymonster. bigborefan said it best. In east central Illinois we will ride 50 miles to find a gravel road with a mud puddle in it. It was one of the few times he made sense.

There is some good riding around here. You have to hunt it down. vfrpilot and bigborefan are both good at this.

We have found some good roads around Danville. There are better ones once you get into Indiana.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #2549
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorScout View Post
Sieg and dwthump,

Thanks for the advice. I will leave St Louis next Friday, the 4th, in the afternoon. I plane to ride dirt all the way down to Cairo, sleep, and then jump on the TAT all the way across Arkansas back to Bentonville.
Dirt from STL to Cairo, on the IL. side, good luck. Pretty familiar with the north part of that, not much dirt, that I know. Some gravel. Do you have a route in mind? I can work up a route if time permits, and you are interested, I have some tracks. Looking for someone to tag along? I may be caught up by Friday and have some time to ride it.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #2550
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,332
I thought I would update you Central IL cornbillies.

I bought a house in August. Been very busy with that,and very broke as well. Home Depot loves me.

Plus, back to school is my busy season at work. Just got off the road after three weeks of airplanes.

I have squeezed in two small rides on the 950. Rode with RNPaul in IN, a short day ride. I rode south and met TheMasterMike for lunch.

The 530 just sits. Time for the flea market maybe?

I got your PM William. I would be more than willing to lead you all around IN. . There is some pretty good stuff just east of the river over there. Plus I need to initiate the new Urbana guys. I can tie together a good day ride.

How about NOV 1 or 2? It should be cool enough to ride by then.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote