ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
RibRoy OP
RibRoy

Oddometer: 63
Keihin 39/41FCR KIT for KTM 950

Hi, Tried to search the forum for some info about Keihin 39/41FCR KIT for KTM 950, but no luck.
Does anyone have these? Pros/cons/effect? Hi have Rotweiler filter and jetted my SE already, but more power is never wrong.
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy View Post
Hi, Tried to search the forum for some info about Keihin 39/41FCR KIT for KTM 950, but no luck.
Does anyone have these? Pros/cons/effect? Hi have Rotweiler filter and jetted my SE already, but more power is never wrong.
I had FCR 41's on my 950 adv for over a year
they are extremely FUN !
I built a heat resistant carbon fiber baffled cold air intake filter box for them
The carbs make a lot of noise and the CA box controled the sound and they sounded awesome , similar to a ducati sound and like a big V8 hum under hard accel
The advantage is not in horsepower
but the increase in raw TORQUE and throttle response is unmeasurable and hard to explain
like the difference between riding a pony and a mad cheetah
twist the throttle in third gear and the front end starts climbing off the ground without a bump up or anything
awesome mod for a modest $1500 investment !
makes it feel like a whole different bike, like a hot rod version of the LC8

downsides :
NO CHOKE :
this is a biggie and the dealbreaker for me after suffering with unreliable starting for over a year, I sold the carbs for a decent price , I would like to choke SUDCO for this bonehead move of not including a choke. If the carbs had a choke I would still have them today. may not be an issue if you live and keep it at sea level in a warm southern location, small loops out of the garage, but I lived in the mountains and ride a lot of remote places solo, wake up from a tent with frost on the seat and you are screwed, I dont want ANY unreliability issues.
CRAPPY AIR FILTER PODS:
this is not a big deal but the pods make it noisy as heck, and vulnerable to water, the C.A.I. box I built made it manageable
there are now some new options for filters but at the time all we had was the crappy pods

Dustodust screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 11:49 AM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
RibRoy OP
RibRoy

Hi and thanks for your reply. Living in Norway means I need choke. To bad they didnt fitted it with a choke, seems like a perfect mod.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
I've never had the FCRs on a KTM 950 or 990, but I have had them on an SV650.

The carbs were AWESOME. LOVED them.

BUT: NO CHOKE!

I live in NJ and ride all year long. I could USUALLY get the bike started down to 30F in the winter. The accelerator pumps would let me squirt some raw fuel before trying to start. There was more than once that I resorted to a hair dryer to get the bike started in the morning.

If the temps were above ~45F it wasn't a very big deal.

Fuel economy SUCKED too.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Alti Tude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I've been considering some FCRs on my 950 EX, I have both some 41s and 39s here I could use. Cant decide if I really want to. I'd love the power but don't want to loose fuel mileage. Still cant decide. I have FCRs on one of my Laverdas though and love them. They are I think the best motorcycle carb you can get but yeah, the lack of a choke can be a hassle. Not too much trouble on the Laverda as it never goes out in cold nasty weather but the KTM does. Cosentino Engineering offers some KTM/FCR stuff and mentions on his web site that he can do a choke system for them. I don't know what he does but here's a link:

http://cosentino-engineering.myshopi...ollections/all

And on the lack of a choke, Dusttodust, don't be mad at SUDCO, it ain't their fault. Keihin designed the FCR downdrafts as a pure race carb and didn't include a choke assembly. Its not something SUDCO had anything at all to do with. There are a few sizes of side draft FCRs that are available with a choke system but they wont work on our KTMs.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 322
RR: If you haven't seen this thread take a look

Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
How about this? They say they have choke & tps:

http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/th...tor-Kit/Detail
Old 09-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,677
My 950 is set up with the FCR 39's and the cosentino engineering velocity stacks, jetted appropriately. There's so much motor and throttle response it's insane. Really insane.

I was really worried the lack of choke was going to be a major issue. The ride I just did in Quebec got quite cold and wet at night, with temperatures around 5-8 degrees celsius in the morning.

It was no problem at all to start the bike. Once I had to hit the starter again after it fired initially then died, but the other three days (which were all cold/wet), it fired up easily, idled, warmed, no problem.

I have not tried to start it in sub-zero conditions yet, however.

I was very surprised by how easy it was. I remember this bike being much more difficult to start with just the Sudco kit (without the Cosentino setup), when the previous owner had it first converted.

Fuel economy was a steady 38mpg, all mixed conditions - highway 75mph cruising, dirt, singletrack, etc.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
RibRoy OP
RibRoy

I think I'm convinced. I will go for "The full Monty"
http://cosentino-engineering.myshopi...the-full-monty

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
RibRoy OP
RibRoy

Just ordered "The full monty", Anyone that have tried to fit Rottweiler on these?
(I have this already)

Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,130
Good move!!
Did you get the 41's? The full monty with stacks and big filters should set your hair on fire!!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
RibRoy OP
RibRoy

Nope, Went for the 39's :)

"The 39's provide a slightly higher intake velocity and produces more torque and mid-range, they will work well for stock to modified engines. The 41's will flow better at higher RPM's and thus produce a little more HP at the sacrifice of some torque down low, they will work well with over-bored or highly modified engines"
Old 09-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Alti Tude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy View Post
Just ordered "The full monty", Anyone that have tried to fit Rottweiler on these?
(I have this already)

Thanks
I have the Rottweiler on my 950 and some spare FCRs sitting in the garage and have been wondering the same thing. I love that filter and don't want to loose it, so I'll be very interested to see how it all goes together on your bike. :)
Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
interested here as well. i'm thinking a set of FCR's and a Rekluse would round out my SE as my perfect dual sport ride. :)

I've had FCR's on V-twin race bikes but curious to hear the overall impressions and if you can keep the foam ITG filters with the system as well.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
RibRoy OP
RibRoy

At the moment I'm trying to connect Chris/CPR with Chris/Cosentino Engineering, to see if there is possible to do this.

SpeedyR: I already got the Rekluse and Rottwieler filter/ CJdesign jetting. Works perfect, but more torque (FCR's) cant be wrong :)