Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
helle hund OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumbs down Help needed, Oil Pressure Switch 2011 LC8 !!!

Recently I did an oil change and used a premium oil (Penrite 10 tenths racing oil (highly rated and very expensive)) as recommended by their website for the LC8 engine. This oil is supposed to have better properties at higher temperatures, which it may well have. After the service I took the bike out on road and off road for 35km (nothing to hard). On the way back the bike started to develop a vibration in the foot-pegs (14 k on the clock) which now feel more like a slight knocking at specific revs. I got the bike home and drained oil and replaced with what I normally use, Silkolene Comp 4. Vibration got a bit better and was now restricted to around 3000 - 4500 rpm but still an irritating buzzing in the foot-pegs and at times like a mild knocking, more so on the clutch side of the bike but only just. Not long after I noticed the idiot light had failed and invested in a pressure gauge just make sure all is ok on the front, which it is and replaced oil pressure switch.
To cut along story short, not happy with it I dropped the engine out and went straight for the obvious and inspected the crank, conrods, little ends and all the gearbox bearings in the vain hope of discovering where the knock could be coming from. The crank had no play to speak of, laterally, but slight side to side movement in the conrod when held at the little end. Mains are ok and nothing there either, balancer shaft also ok. All gear box bearings are as smooth as silk and no play in shafts or bearings. I reassembled the engine and went away for week on it covering 1200kms without any issue and did 120 kms a day for several days, but with same symptoms of vibrations and slight knocking at 4000 rpm.
Now after 2000kms after the teardown the idiot light has failed yet again. It could be coincidence that two switches have failed in such a short space of time, but does seem doubtful. I can live with the vibration after all it is a v-twin, but repeated oil pressure switch failure does cause concern and suggests that something is not right.
Any thoughts on what could be causing this would be welcomed as I have exhausted all avenues…
helle hund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Have you balanced the throttle bodies? Can help with vibration.

Regarding the switch, they do fail. Someone suggested a Landrover oil pressure switch is interchangable......
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
helle hund OP
n00b

Firstly thanks for the suggestions peanuts
I must admit I didn’t consider the throttle balancing to be a problem, but will look into that and post back the findings. I presume one of our good inmates has posted the procedure on one of the forums and will get onto this.
I have pulled the engine out again last night and will do a tear down today and re-inspect everything just in case I missed something. I was wondering whether there is any way is could be hydraulically shock loaded from the lube pump as this could cause strong vibration and explain why the switch keeps failing. I ran through the repair manual and can’t really see anything that could cause this condition.
In saying this though, I did wonder what the effect of a sticking bypass valve would be, any thoughts? This is the one thing that I did not strip down last time I had the engine out and I have to be honest when I had the pressure gauge connected I did not see any pressure spikes either.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,115
cpmodem fitted a high pressure line and a mini oil pressure gauge on his Adv, anywhere you pop one on the LC8 body....I wouldn't run a HP line via steering.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
helle hund OP
n00b

I did put a gauge on it and nothing obvious was noted. I have just ordered a few pressure switches from Oz as they are pretty expensive here in NZ. I am somewhat at wits end with this bike as I have never had so many problems with a new bike. During the course of inspecting I also found something nasty with the cam gearing main drive in that it has seriously scored the inner cylinder head face. Some small fragments have been noted and I am now wondering if these fragments have screwed up the pressure switch. It maybe that I just copped a bad one but I have to be honest in saying what I found so far is pretty alarming... I will be writing to KTM shortly with a copy of all the pictures including ones of the main crank case halves that don't line up with each other on the cylinder face, despite being located on dowels. With these problems I guess the oil pressure is the least of my worries.
This bike is only 14 months old. I will be posting some photos once I figure out how to load them.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Sorry to hear of your problems, Helle Hund. My oil pressure switch died last week and I never gave it any thought till now. I think I'm the guy Mr Peanuts is referring to, having fitted a Landrover Discovery TDI pressure switch to my bike (switch same thread,copper washer and similar pressure).

So in 20000km one leaked and the land rover one stops working....what gives. Never had a problem with one on a car. Only know everything is all right as I have a permanently mounted oil pressure gauge to watch for water pump leaks and oil filter restriction.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
helle hund OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRulz View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems, Helle Hund. My oil pressure switch died last week and I never gave it any thought till now. I think I'm the guy Mr Peanuts is referring to, having fitted a Landrover Discovery TDI pressure switch to my bike (switch same thread,copper washer and similar pressure).

So in 20000km one leaked and the land rover one stops working....what gives. Never had a problem with one on a car. Only know everything is all right as I have a permanently mounted oil pressure gauge to watch for water pump leaks and oil filter restriction.
I have now ordered several oil pressure switches from KTM parts online as I cannot believe that two would fail so quickly without reason. I am at the point of ordering a full gasket kit at $542 NZD and a few bearings so I can make sure once and for all that is all ok. I used to rebuild machine tools for a living, so experience suggests something is not right and I still think the by-pass valve is where the problem is or at least was...

I will post details of the finding and plenty of pictures of the tear down in the next few weeks. It did cross my mind to upgrade to an 1190 and let it become the dealers problem, but I just can't bring myself to do it even if it is a pain in the arse.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by helle hund View Post
I have now ordered several oil pressure switches from KTM parts online as I cannot believe that two would fail so quickly without reason. I am at the point of ordering a full gasket kit at $542 NZD and a few bearings so I can make sure once and for all that is all ok. I used to rebuild machine tools for a living, so experience suggests something is not right and I still think the by-pass valve is where the problem is or at least was...

I will post details of the finding and plenty of pictures of the tear down in the next few weeks. It did cross my mind to upgrade to an 1190 and let it become the dealers problem, but I just can't bring myself to do it even if it is a pain in the arse.
Why not ask the dealer for advice?
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote