Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #46
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Really?

Yes, I understand that, but you've missed my point...

I believe KTM put the 140 Dunlop tire because their marketing department discovered consumers had been using 140 Dunlops and determined the tire would make the bike more attractive to consumers.

That's marketing. Just like the graphics. Marketing.

However, this was not a engineering decision. The 140 is not intended for a 4.25" rim, and it is my suspicion (that's right, not based on fact, pure conjecture on my part) the engineers who put a 4.25" rim on the ADV bike would disagree with the decision of the marketing department. The engineers would likely tell marketing that if they wanted to run a 140 Dunlop, they would have specified a narrower rim, just like the SE.

Does that help?
Bingo! The 150 is a radial ROAD tire with a dual sport knob tread. Note the low and stiff short sidewall intended to be pushed through curves and not flex. The 140 is a dirt carcass with a narrow bead and massive fat sidewalls to give cushion, run lower pressures and protect the narrower rim with a DS knob tread. Totally different animals!

I've run the 908 on both rims and its scary on the road either way. Functions best, way better, on the narrow rim. I have no idea what KTM didn't simply spec the Baja with an SE rear rim...because it would seem to me that its potentially a problem in the engineering but also liability since Dunlop doesn't spec the tires for such wide rims.
Sporting Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #47
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Wow. I found the opposite. I really like the Scorpion Rally. I must not be riding as hard as you do or something.

I rode another 950 side by side. We swapped bikes for maybe a 20 mile loop. He had on the Continental TKCs mounted and I had the Scorpion Rally. His 950 would slide around a corner a lot easier than mine would. Mine pretty much just stayed planted around the corners (SR) and his would slide around (TKC). He commented on it too. It took way more effort to get the Scorpion Rally's to slide than it did the TKCs. This was on gravel and dirt/rocky roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I ran a Pirelli Rally rear on my 950 Adventure for the Colorado BDR. I couldn't see with that tire how a 150 would have fit b/c it's so wide.

BTW, did not like the Rally rear. No side bite - it just slides. Great forward bite, but no side bite.
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #48
Rodknee
Aggrivator

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75monza View Post
It took way more effort to get the Scorpion Rally's to slide than it did the TKCs. This was on gravel and dirt/rocky roads.
makes sense. the tkc is not as aggressive a tread pattern, and will last longer as well. the scorp is a DOT race tire. i will post up my review after this weekend and about 500 miles (tire should be bald by then...).
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #49
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Really?

Yes, I understand that, but you've missed my point...

I believe KTM put the 140 Dunlop tire because their marketing department discovered consumers had been using 140 Dunlops and determined the tire would make the bike more attractive to consumers.

That's marketing. Just like the graphics. Marketing.

However, this was not a engineering decision. The 140 is not intended for a 4.25" rim, and it is my suspicion (that's right, not based on fact, pure conjecture on my part) the engineers who put a 4.25" rim on the ADV bike would disagree with the decision of the marketing department. The engineers would likely tell marketing that if they wanted to run a 140 Dunlop, they would have specified a narrower rim, just like the SE.

Does that help?
Not sure if your "Really?" comment is sarcastic. When you said this:

Quote:
Now, people are buying 140 size tires because KTM put a 140 on a bike that's designed for a 150.

This makes my head hurt.
I took you at your word and I thought you meant that people are just now using a 140 size because KTM did it. I was just saying KTM 9x0 owners have been doing that for years. I agree that it's marketing, but it's not original.

I also agree that the tire and wheel size should match the engineer's spec.

When the Baja came out, one of my first thoughts was that KTM has validated mismatching tire size and wheel size. I think that's a mistake.

Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #50
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
I have a little favor to ask. Can someone with a 140/80/18 measure the total diameter when mounted and new?

I am figuring out wheel conversion for my versys and I need to know it wont rub into the swinarm for being too tall.

Thanks.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #51
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
The exact measurment will depend on the rim width. Based on the different sizes discussed in this thread, you might want to specify yours.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #52
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoule View Post
The exact measurment will depend on the rim width. Based on the different sizes discussed in this thread, you might want to specify yours.
18x2.5

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #53
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I ran a Pirelli Rally rear on my 950 Adventure for the Colorado BDR. I couldn't see with that tire how a 150 would have fit b/c it's so wide.

BTW, did not like the Rally rear. No side bite - it just slides. Great forward bite, but no side bite.
The 150 Rally fit on the 950/990 just fine. Remember they are 150/70 and the 140 is a 140/80 so roughly around the same size tyre.

I really like 150/70 on the big Kato are great tyre - just not a real long life, especially if some pavement is required (they overheat on pavement really easily).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #54
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBMW View Post
And that's another reason!
I don't really get it, the price of these bikes and I hear a lot of what a tire cost? I know it's a consideration if all else is equal, but I look for the best tire for the purpose I intend to use it for.
But it does expensive, the way the beast chews up tires :loll

Ok, I get it, but I don't know, whatever

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #55
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
990 run a 140/80 18 rear?

I was worried about mounting a 140 Scorpion Rally to my stock rear rim, but ordered one for a trip I was taking anyway. Got the tire in the mail, put it in a corner of my garage and mounted it up the night before my trip. The next morning at the meet up point, my buddy notices that his Scorpion Rally has a very different tread pattern than mine. Turns out I was sent a 110/120 Scorp, and mounted it without even noticing. I wasn't about to cancel the trip so we headed out anyway. Well, 2300 miles and 8 days later that tire performed beautifully on everything from highways to dry lake beds. I wouldn't do it intentionally, but I think alot of the issues with fitment/rim width are in our heads.

srad600 screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 12:27 PM
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #56
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
I wouldn't do it intentionally, but I think alot of the issues with fitment/rim width are in our heads.
Glad it worked out for you.

I DO think there is engineering involved, and I DO think tires are designed with specific rim widths and size limitations. So I DON'T think it's all in our heads.

However, I also think people are using tires for off-label applications with good success, just like you did.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #57
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,332
Terraflex? I tried it last year, it was pretty sketchy until the knobs were half worn off. After that, it behaved a lot nicer on the road. I took it through some severe mud and it didn't load up when everyone else did. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really plan to get into it deep with the bike. You may make enemies of anyone riding behind you also.

akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #58
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Glad it worked out for you.

I DO think there is engineering involved, and I DO think tires are designed with specific rim widths and size limitations. So I DON'T think it's all in our heads.

However, I also think people are using tires for off-label applications with good success, just like you did.
I agree that the tires are generally engineered for a particular size rim, and that will most likely work best. It's just after this experience I don't think I will worry about it quite as much as I used to. Just my opinion but sometimes good enough, is more than enough.

AKAROB - That tyre just looks evil...love it.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #59
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Terraflex? You may make enemies of anyone riding behind you also.

I would want to run sweep..... way in the back sweep.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #60
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,332
It's actually steel belted too. Nice and tough for the beast.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote