Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #3691
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
If anybody wants to do go on a 3-5 hour ride, I'm wanting to do the Dirty Moose Race loop again this year.

Otherwise I have other hobbies to enjoy, but just seeing if anybody is interested. Always interested in getting on two wheels.

It's not dual sport friendly. (none of the pro's went on to do the second loop and I think only one finished the loop under the 3hr cut-off - Came in 6 minutes before 3hrs)

Bike must be able to do 80k/tank.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #3692
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod View Post
Andy, do you still have the KDX? Would love to hear your thoughts about it. My friend with his KX should consider one!
Dean - I sold the KDX when I got the GasGas. It was a good bike for me to learn that I like riding single-track. Turns out though that I'm no faster or better on the GG... apparently it wasn't the bike holding me back.

If I could do it again, I'd still get the KDX and just ride it, instead of throwing $$ at it to make it a better bike.
Lav1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #3693
wylie348
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Laugh Bear Berry and Beyond

Here is that link to a small portion of my ride last weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcmDOdwFoIs
A true blast!

On another note... anyone know the best place to put the GoPro? I was thinking of a chest mount but no idea where to purchase that...? Thanks for any advice!
wylie348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #3694
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
'89 KDX vs shiny new toys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Dean - I sold the KDX when I got the GasGas. It was a good bike for me to learn that I like riding single-track. Turns out though that I'm no faster or better on the GG... apparently it wasn't the bike holding me back.

If I could do it again, I'd still get the KDX and just ride it, instead of throwing $$ at it to make it a better bike.
Andy, I would love to hear more about what you did to your KDX. If memory serves, you did a fork swap? Maybe it's a good reason to hook up for a beverage to hear the details!

I plan on keeping mine for quite a while, and it certainly doesn't owe me anything, so I will make some small adjustments (bar risers/bars, fit hand guards into my bark busters), additions (skid plate, spark arrestor) and general maintenance (fix odo cable). Might tear her down this winter. My friend and I got the lights working this week - first time since 1992!

Interesting comment about the bike not making a difference in riding ability. It actually is nice to hear, so I don't get jealous of shiny new ones! I think the dirt bike technology was advancing significantly in the 1980's with water cooling, disc brakes and single shocks, that by the 1990's, most bikes were fairly similar. Ergonomics have continued to change, with more gradual steps in technology. And let's not discount BNG's (Bold New Graphics)!

I find that my mountain biking experience transfers very well to dirt biking, and vice versa; especially my trials-like abilities! Things such as riding figure eights super slowly, doing brake stands, hopping curbs, riding up rock ledges, balancing on logs, etc. on a bicycle first and then on a motorbike really pay off!
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #3695
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylie348 View Post
A true blast!

On another note... anyone know the best place to put the GoPro? I was thinking of a chest mount but no idea where to purchase that...? Thanks for any advice!
wylie, I still prefer just a helmet mount myself. Keeps the viewer in the right frame and adds that element of seeing more than just what's ahead, ;)

'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #3696
wylie348
Adventurer

Sweet single track

Hey Kaptin - thx for the advice and where is that single track! Looks like tree skiing! I have only started off road this year when I traded in my thruxton on my tiger XC but I can never go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
wylie, I still prefer just a helmet mount myself. Keeps the viewer in the right frame and adds that element of seeing more than just what's ahead, ;)

Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #3697
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
This is just south west of the fallen timber staging area. While that stuff on film is ok for a bigger bike a lot of the way into that spot would be a challenge. for example, there was a giant rain rut going up a hill and the line around it was super narrow on the edge of a 4-5 ft drop that you needed to hit in second gear because it was kinda loose and fairly steep. Moderate to easy on a dirtbike but it would be expert or double expert on a big DS bike with street legal tires.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #3698
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
Just bought a place in Calgary.

We're moving down from Lacombe, taking possession on Nov 21. Not exactly biking season at that time but I think beer season is still on.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for upcoming meets.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #3699
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 784
Moderate to easy on a dirtbike but it would be expert or double expert on a big DS bike with street legal tires.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a challenge. Challenge accepted! Gotta check it out soon!
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #3700
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
A true blast!

Well those are two great ones from Lycan1, but I thought I'd add my favorite, hand-held!

XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #3701
wylie348
Adventurer

Go Pro

Pretty steady hands but I choose life! Gotta watch for those bears!
I think I will have to find some good vids of chest mount but otherwise will stick to side of brain bucket for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
Well those are two great ones from Lycan1, but I thought I'd add my favorite, hand-held!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #3702
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
This is just south west of the fallen timber staging area. While that stuff on film is ok for a bigger bike a lot of the way into that spot would be a challenge. for example, there was a giant rain rut going up a hill and the line around it was super narrow on the edge of a 4-5 ft drop that you needed to hit in second gear because it was kinda loose and fairly steep. Moderate to easy on a dirtbike but it would be expert or double expert on a big DS bike with street legal tires.

It's illegal to ride those trails...............

So tread lightly, and don't stop. Volunteer on trail days to keep our trials in good shape.

I'm all about informing people, but I do not agree with the rules.

The only legal loops are SE of the camp ground. Still a ton of fun and worth checking out if you haven't already. About 50-75KM of trail depending on how you manage them. Mostly great ridge riding. Less technical then it used to be, but still a good workout when going fast. They removed most of the logs which has greatly increased the flow. Apparently people aren't wanting a challenge as we removed tons of logs from the race course when I volunteered to help. RMDRA still got massive complaints about being too difficult, and even quoted as "the worst race ever..." . Happy customers. I've rode the full loop and only one 15km section had trees, the rest was AWESOME! (I like trees too though)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 01:07 PM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #3703
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Pretty steady hands but I choose life! Gotta watch for those bears!
I think I will have to find some good vids of chest mount but otherwise will stick to side of brain bucket for now.
Of course - I was just fooling around on some long stretches. I've tried many different mounting points; vibration and interference are the main problems. With the engine running I've gone over the bike and checked how much different parts of it vibrate...you can sometimes get a more stable image by just shifting your mount over a few inches. I really like mounting it on the crash bars so you can see the front wheel, but you get a rolling skew problem if it is too close to the engine electronics (with the GoPro Hero 3 Black anyway). Shielding will help that but I haven't had time to mess with it...side of the helmet is my main mount point these days too. I don't think chest mount offers much over having it there.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #3704
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Waiparous Valley Road

So here is the video from the ride down Waiparous Valley Road a few weeks back with Floss&Fly...nothing most people here don't know well, but for others I think it shows what to expect if you come here to do some dual sport riding. This ride was not super challenging, but challenging enough to be a whole lot of fun!

Also working on an outro...all of your production motivated me Lycan1! Still needs some editing but the foundation is there...

Old 10-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #3705
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
If anybody wants to do go on a 3-5 hour ride, I'm wanting to do the Dirty Moose Race loop again this year.

Otherwise I have other hobbies to enjoy, but just seeing if anybody is interested. Always interested in getting on two wheels.

It's not dual sport friendly. (none of the pro's went on to do the second loop and I think only one finished the loop under the 3hr cut-off - Came in 6 minutes before 3hrs)

Bike must be able to do 80k/tank.
I would be up for doing this with you but it would have to be the weekend of the 11-14th. I have been busy with reno's and visitors for a lot of the summer but need to get out at least a couple more times before the snow flies!

Cheers