Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #436
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post
anyone tried the Michelin S12 on their airhead dirtbike?

I have been told that they work well for heavy bikes in soft terrain.

Dont know how quickly they will wear if used for dual sport , but was intending to use them as a dirt-only rear tyre
Ras Did you ever try the AC10 ? The grip of those in soft terrain is unbelievable. And they last a long time.
(don't buy the front, that one sucks) The competition 4 is a great front tire on the airheads in soft terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
What size Mefo did you use??? The 120 rubbed on my bike, others haven't had that problem. Mefo's are to damn exspensive, not sure about the Mita's but have to pay extra shipping from Canada to the USA.
I used the 120 explorer. My wheel is laced of center so no problems with the size on my bike.
The super explorer I tried before was a 140/80.

What you have with the Mitas I have with the D606. Love to try one but the shipping from the US...

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #437
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Ras Did you ever try the AC10 ? The grip of those in soft terrain is unbelievable. And they last a long time.
(don't buy the front, that one sucks) The competition 4 is a great front tire on the airheads in soft terrain.
have not tried the AC10s, all I had heard was that the front sucked on wet tarmac.

I have been running Michelin Starcross front (thanks to Ruckta's recommendation) and have found it great in all conditions. Only downside is the blocks started having a rounded shape on the front side after approx 1,000 km. Not noticeable when riding- but got a flat, so turned the tyre around while I was at it.

Quote:
What you have with the Mitas I have with the D606. Love to try one but the shipping from the US...
it only doubles the price to buy them on US ebay and send them over

I bought two sets of rear 606s and sourced the Starcross front locally. The 606s are a great dual sport tyre, but mud monster they aint.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ras Thurlo screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 08:57 AM
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #438
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
Quote:
has anyone tried the Shinko 705 120/80x18 or the 4.10x18 for the rear on the G/S?? I ask this because I had issues fitting the Mefo 120/80 18, it rubbed the shaft.

I want to get a little more miles than what I get from the K60 heidenuas and less dirt for my next set. due to ridding more pavement lately.

anyone????????
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #439
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,586
I tried an AC10 rear on a G/S and was extremely disappointed.
Straight line traction was great but keeping things in a straight line was difficult.

The AC10 worked well in deep sand but in mud the rear was always chasing the front.
Wet bitumen was a nightmare.
Hard pack was squirmy and no amount of pressure adjustment could overcome that this is a lightly constructed tyre unsuitable for a mid weight bike and my style of riding.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #440
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I tried an AC10 rear on a G/S and was extremely disappointed.
Straight line traction was great but keeping things in a straight line was difficult.

The AC10 worked well in deep sand but in mud the rear was always chasing the front.
Wet bitumen was a nightmare.
Hard pack was squirmy and no amount of pressure adjustment could overcome that this is a lightly constructed tyre unsuitable for a mid weight bike and my style of riding.
That really surprises me. On my bike its really a great tire in the Dutch sand. Although I still prefer some Bridgestone's but they are not street legal.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 09-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #441
Cdubs
made for adventure

Oddometer: 115
any other trials tire riders?

I've got a Pirelli MT43 trials tire on the rear and love it. Don't have much to compare it to(shinkos on my other G/S). The trials tire wears really well and did great the couple times I've had it off road. It also has a tall sidewall so the bike is a bit taller which is great for my long legs.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
Cdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #442
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,586
Quote:
That really surprises me. On my bike its really a great tire in the Dutch sand. Although I still prefer some Bridgestone's but they are not street legal.
It suprised me too.
They used to be a favourite.

Something may have changed in the batches they sell here.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #443
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Quote:
which Bridgestones?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #444
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
which Bridgestones?
The not street legal ones I like are the M203/204.(only use these in sand)
On another set of wheels I have the ED668 which is a pretty good tire but if it wil last long enough is something i don't know yet.
My long distance off-road favorite is the ED78. 10.000 km without a problem. Even for road use not a bad tire. But i'm stil looking for a better option than the ED77 for the front.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #445
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,004
Heidenau K60, ~11,500 miles ... ~98% on slab. Not too shabby. The front that was put on at the same time is a little over half worn

I think my riding style of 'downshifting to brake' is the cause ... but I'm pretty impressed with these tires.

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #446
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Heidenau K60, ~11,500 miles ... ~98% on slab. Not too shabby
do k60s have a flatter (less domed) profile that other tyres such as the TKCs?

optically they do, and had always thought that this would give them greater lifespan but less flickability
Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #447
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
has anyone tried the Shinko 705 120/80x18 or the 4.10x18 for the rear on the G/S?? I ask this because I had issues fitting the Mefo 120/80 18, it rubbed the shaft.

I want to get a little more miles than what I get from the K60 heidenuas and less dirt for my next set. due to ridding more pavement lately.
you will not get more mileage out of the 705 vs. the K60. I dont think you can get more mileage than the K60 with anything.

yes, the K60 are flatter than the TKC. They seem to flic just fine.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #448
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,004
I have to be honest here and say that this tire is my first 'knobbie' oriented tire ... So ... I really have no clue to compare it with the TKC's. Currently I replaced it with a softer Kenda tire, and I'm hoping that the front and rear wear out at approxiamtely the same time .... and Mitas starts importing the E07's into the US.

Quote:
do k60s have a flatter (less domed) profile that other tyres such as the TKCs?

optically they do, and had always thought that this would give them greater lifespan but less flickability
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #449
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Quote:

I have Shinko 705's on my KLR. In Tucson. There's lot of gravel around to work them in, but we don't have much mud. On gravel roads, they're fine, on dry dirt, they're fine. On sand, they aren't much (but then, nothing is.) Riding sand for me is like powder skiing, I can do it, but I'm not very good at it.

Around town, and on the paved twisties, they are more than fine.
And on the rare occasions I've had them in wet conditions, they've been okay.

Mine are wearing okay, about 6000 miles on them and they still have lots of tread. As the KLR is part of a stable of bikes, they'll probably die of old age before I get rid of them. They were my first set of tires after I ditched the OEM tires. For the price, who give a shit if they last forever.

With all that said, I have a set of 705's I have to put on my R90/6. In the process of reconditioning the Lester wheels (paint not powdercoat, btw.) My thinking is that period looking replacement tires aren't available or affordable. And for $138 for both tires and new tubes, if I don't like them on the BMW, I can take 'em off and at that price change them out like I'd change shoes.

I think they'll be more than adequate for my mostly street oriented R90. Don't know whether they'd be sufficient for more off road oriented riders tho. If I want to beat a bike, the 08 KLR is a better choice anyhow.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #450
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 738
silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Heidenau K60, ~11,500 miles ... ~98% on slab. Not too shabby. The front that was put on at the same time is a little over half worn

I think my riding style of 'downshifting to brake' is the cause ... but I'm pretty impressed with these tires.

Well if nothing else they are probably quiet on the tarmac.