ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #181
WJBertrand
Ventura Highway

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSarnia View Post
I've been looking on ebay for the replacement 'Digitizer' but they list a number of different sizes ranging from 79 x 64.5 mm to 76 x 63mm.

I have a "HONDA" badged Garmin 550 Zumo that has just begun to crap out. Before I remove it from the bike, I am hoping to have all I need on hand to fix it.

Thanks in advance,
Don in Sarnia
Order the larger size.
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #182
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Anybody have that little (make that ultra-tiny) bridge that secures the ribbon cable from the digitizer to the circuit board on a Zumo 450? It had come half off during a ride and when I opened to case, it attacked me. Never again to be seen on the garage floor, or in the boxes, or stuck in my shoe, or wherever.
Garmin won't sell me the part even though I think it's the same on the 550 which they still service
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #183
The Oracle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Just wanted to throw out big props to the OP and others who posted this fix. My 550 how been unuseable for quite a while now. I was ready to dump $500 into new one when I came across this thread. I ordered the digitizer about two weeks ago on ebay. I got it a couple days ago and spent about an hour fixing it today. It's working perfectly...for less than $25. THANKS AGAIN!!
Various quads and bikes for the peewees
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #184
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,716
It's the thread that keeps on giving!

If only there was a simple fix for the MC cradle. I have 3 blown ones now. Inside, the ribbon that goes from the PC board to the contact pins keeps corroding/arcing which destroys the circuit board and the ribbon. Yes, $75 on Ebay. I've blown 2 this year from water ingress. Suppose I should only ride on nice days?

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #185
mellysenior
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Excellent thread

Like others I was ready to ditch the Garmin but found this thread and despite being useless at fixing things I ordered a combined screen and digitizer from Honk Kong!! Received it within a week - with trepidation set about replacing and found it back in working order within about 10 mins. Many thanks to all
mellysenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #186
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaver View Post
it's the thread that keeps on giving!

If only there was a simple fix for the mc cradle. I have 3 blown ones now. Inside, the ribbon that goes from the pc board to the contact pins keeps corroding/arcing which destroys the circuit board and the ribbon. Yes, $75 on ebay. I've blown 2 this year from water ingress. Suppose i should only ride on nice days?
dielectric grease?
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #187
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
dielectric grease?
Yes, I have that, hmmmmmm.

If they were waterproof as advertised then they'd last. Hard to tell if the burnt ribbon is the cause or the effect. Maybe a bead of silicone along with the gasket.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #188
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 285
It keeps going and going...

Glad I found this thread. This forum rocks!

Zumo 450 began doing the phantom button presses and not letting me scroll. Garmin is not offering to replace/repair at $150 anymore I guess. They offered me 20% off new if I traded it in for a new unit.

I'll fix this one this go-around!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #189
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 614
You guys think it would be a good time (while it is all open) to do a Neverwet treatment (minus the screen)?
Renegade_Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #190
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcn View Post
Glad I found this thread. This forum rocks!

Zumo 450 began doing the phantom button presses and not letting me scroll. Garmin is not offering to replace/repair at $150 anymore I guess. They offered me 20% off new if I traded it in for a new unit.

I'll fix this one this go-around!
Son-of-a-b. Always something. I got it all ready to install....peel off the protective plastic....and go to stick it on...no glue bead on the back!!!!

Grumble.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #191
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj3 View Post
Re comment about screen not light enough. Purchased another screen/digitizer from Goodsupply 0889 and just installed it. This screen was different from one of the other Chinese that I purchased. Screen from Goodsupply 0889 is as bright as new
Went back and ordered one from this supplier that is staged to ship from MN. $10 more than the other one I bought which I can't use due to no glue strip on the back. I doubt for $12 that it is worth fighting the supplier over through Ebay but I opened a case just the same. Maybe if/when that is settle I will have a spare.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #192
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
Went back and ordered one from this supplier that is staged to ship from MN. $10 more than the other one I bought which I can't use due to no glue strip on the back. I doubt for $12 that it is worth fighting the supplier over through Ebay but I opened a case just the same. Maybe if/when that is settle I will have a spare.
Well the new one came with no adhesive on the back side of the frame for sticking to the LCD either. Guess I will get some thin 3M HA or HB or something similar...

Any recommendations?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #193
falcn
Squidless Soul

OK did a Google search and came up with 3M double sided tape 2mm width made for this purpose. Probably won't find it locally :(
Old 11-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #194
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
OK did a Google search and came up with 3M double sided tape 2mm width made for this purpose. Probably won't find it locally :(
Got the 3M adhesive strip in 2mm width last night and put the screen on with ease. Made sure the gasket was in the groove and put it all back together and calibrated it.

It works better than it has since the first day I got it. Responds very fast to touch now.

I have enough 3M tape now to do probably 1000 of these things!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #195
Old Nuke
Flatlander

Oddometer: 222
I'm going to give this digitizer repair a try also. I have one other problem though, the rubber cover over my power on/off button came off while on a ride. Any replacements out there?
Old Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote