Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #46
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
I'm talking about the shaft thats on your picture. They didn't have bigger u-joints than the original shafts. They had smaller ones. The new version has bigger size u-joints.
The outside diam of the old and new bearings didn't change the inside did.
The first series of those shafts had a problem with the size. They would not go through the swing arm because they were just to thick. A few spins af an angle grinder can fix that

I didn't measure the size of the u-joint bearings my self but this info came from Mat from the boxertoko.
Now they should have the same size as the original bmw shaft.
These new shafts are available in Australia too http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823543
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #47
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
So this thread has prompted me to have a look. Way overdue, since it's been 26,000 km so far on the re-buildable shaft.

Prutser had warned me to check it at 10,000 km, and sure enough there's play in the universal joints.

Question: is a certain amount of play acceptable? Because worryingly, the new spares we've carried have play also, and the bearing caps don't feel smooth.

Have I ruined the rebuild kit by carrying it over rough roads for the last few months?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #48
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Question: is a certain amount of play acceptable? Because worryingly, the new spares we've carried have play also, and the bearing caps don't feel smooth. Have I ruined the rebuild kit by carrying it over rough roads for the last few months?
No play is acceptable - it's a sign that things are on the way out. I would also not accept any play in your re-build kit components either. I doubt that carrying them around in your kit caused any damage - they go through rougher conditions when they are in service.

If I feel any play in mine during my winter maintenance program, I will do the change out to the stronger style bearing cups/spiders immediately. The shaft itself is very well built and my guess that by installing the beefier parts, it will be problem free.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #49
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
No play is acceptable - it's a sign that things are on the way out. I would also not accept any play in your re-build kit components either. I doubt that carrying them around in your kit caused any damage - they go through rougher conditions when they are in service.

If I feel any play in mine during my winter maintenance program, I will do the change out to the stronger style bearing cups/spiders immediately. The shaft itself is very well built and my guess that by installing the beefier parts, it will be problem free.
The shafts that I had re-build were replaced with new ones. I didn't ask why yet.
But I had one shaft before these that was worn where the joint bearings go in. That was were the play was, not in the bearings them self.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #50
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
The shafts that I had re-build were replaced with new ones. I didn't ask why yet. But I had one shaft before these that was worn where the joint bearings go in. That was were the play was, not in the bearings them self.
So you gave you a whole new drive shaft in exchange due to the defects? Who were you dealing through?

So the bosses where the bearings sat in wore pre-maturely? Bad machining tolerances? I thought you had previously said that the shaft bearing internal sizes were smaller than OEM and the lack of durability was from that.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #51
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
So you gave you a whole new drive shaft in exchange due to the defects? Who were you dealing through?

So the bosses where the bearings sat in wore pre-maturely? Bad machining tolerances? I thought you had previously said that the shaft bearing internal sizes were smaller than OEM and the lack of durability was from that.
I had two shafts which I serviced a few months ago with the first available service kits. That time both the shafts had broken bearings.When I ordered those service kits the dealer(the Boxertoko) told me there would be a different type of bearing set in a few months. So a few weeks ago he told me I had to send him the shafts and they would re-build them for me. When they came back there were two new shafts in the box......
The new ones have the new bearings in the BMW size.

That they gave me complete new shafts was a surprise and I still need to ask why the replaced them completely.
Another shaft I serviced had bearing failure and because the outside of the bearing was turning in the shaft,the shaft it self was worn. Thats why the new bearings were not tight in the shaft and had some play.
That the outside of the bearing could start to spin could be because they were never tight enough or due to bad tolerances. I don't know...

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #52
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

I bought my shaft from Ted Porter at Beemershop in 2011. I no longer see that shaft as being available from his store. I had sent him e-mails since then asking for details of which grease to use on these animals but received no real answer - my guess was that he didn't know either. I'm kind of wondering who a person would go to if you do get a problem starting to rear its head - another vendor? Hopefully I can catch any bearing issues before they start to physically damage the shaft body. Prutser, if you can keep this thread updated as to when these new bearing kits and other developments take place, I would be very appreciative.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #53
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Well I think I will fit the rebuild kit that I have, as uncertain as it might be.

Hopefully that gets us to Holland, where I will fit the updated units.

Any tips on how to remove the bearings? I was going to hammer them out from the opposite side.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #54
fabspec
fabspec

Oddometer: 15
Shafted?

Howdy Folks

I just received my new Emerald Island drive shaft from Ted Porter and Co. a week ago. It has the German INA U-joints and is a very nice piece of work. Jeff at Emerald Island was kind enough to not only answer my questions, but fire me another email letting me know when they were shipping the new batch to Ted.

Fabspec
fabspec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #55
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabspec View Post
Howdy Folks

I just received my new Emerald Island drive shaft from Ted Porter and Co. a week ago. It has the German INA U-joints and is a very nice piece of work. Jeff at Emerald Island was kind enough to not only answer my questions, but fire me another email letting me know when they were shipping the new batch to Ted. Thanks for the update.

Fabspec
So it's called an 'Emerald Island' drive shaft is it? Good to know... I still have the original box that mine came in from 2011 and there is nothing to indicate who made it or what it was - just a tag from the Beemershop with the aftermarket shaft part number. I will give it a google in a few minutes and hope I can come up with a website - and then I will put the questions to Jeff directly. I might give old Ted a query as well.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #56
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Emerald Island Co

http://www.repro-works.com/index.html

Not too many details on the website, no prices.

You probably cannot buy direct unless you are a distributer.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #57
fabspec
fabspec

Oddometer: 15
This is what I got from Jeff. Very nice guy. Beryl at The Beemmer Shop was great as well.

Email below;
Subject: Re: 1992 BWM R100GS driveshaft
Sent: Fri, Aug 2, 2013 9:42:16 PM

Hello Rog,

We solve the U-joint problem , we will use German INA U-joint, so will offer soon again within 3-4 weeks
Thanks

Jeff Lee
fabspec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #58
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
mine clicks when I roll the bike backwards
should I panic?.
has done it for a while
iv'e been riding it pretty hard lately
sand/single track/jumps etc.
trying to keep up with newer bikes
sometimes I surprise them
when I pass them.
cheers and thks.
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #59
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
mine clicks when I roll the bike backwards
should I panic?.
has done it for a while
iv'e been riding it pretty hard lately
sand/single track/jumps etc.
trying to keep up with newer bikes
sometimes I surprise them
when I pass them.
cheers and thks.
On centre stand and in neutral spin the rear wheel backwards If you hear anything then, it may be worth taking a look.

Best caught early.

Good luck

akabeton screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 08:40 PM
akabeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #60
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by akabeton View Post
On centre stand and in neutral spin the rear wheel forwards. If you hear anything then, it may be worth taking a look.

Best caught early.

Good luck b
thks
makes a horrible sound when running on centre stand
when in gear
only did it once trying to track down a noise
was the rack coming loose.
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote