ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #856
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
I didn't see a drinking competition listed. Hey did you get to view the pictures?
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #857
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

How does one post attachments?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #858
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Yes I have looked at them a few times, really like your routing, I spent a ton of time in that area mountain biking back in the 90's. I got to get back to Moab one of these days!
So how is the new bike working out? Is it a 2013 new or used? What are they going for these days, all I see is as for a quote..I feel a new bike in my future too.....
Be home in November maybe then..Hope the fires are under control soon!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #859
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

The fires are under control. I haven't ridden my MC in the area yet. We drove the car on Hwy 120 and up Evergreen Road a three weeks back. Many of the spurs off either road were closed. Hopefully they will open now.
http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
Old 09-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #860
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,261
Most of the burn area is closed and will remain so through the end of the year and probably longer.

Sierra Pacific has some private land within the area that is being logged now, via Cottonwood and Cherry Lake rd. But closed to the public. http://www.inciweb.org/incident/article/3660/21124/

There is pending legislation to allow logging in the rest of the forest. I don't expect this area to open for at least a year. There is already worries about erosion. There will be all kinds of hurdles to cross before it is business as usual.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #861
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Cycle Specialties is hosting a ride to Trumball Peak on Sunday the 10th, anyone wanting to hook up and meet them up in Coulterville? Heading home from the Middle East on Wednesday and looking forward to getting some riding in…..before the snow flies!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #862
SilverFaux
Gandalf impersonator

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Cycle Specialties is hosting a ride to Trumball Peak on Sunday the 10th, anyone wanting to hook up and meet them up in Coulterville? Heading home from the Middle East on Wednesday and looking forward to getting some riding in…..before the snow flies!
Does it require any off road riding?
SilverFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #863
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

From about Coulterville on it is mostly dirt, road up there once before and it is not too bad. interested to see it since all the fires back home

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #864
SilverFaux
Gandalf impersonator

Oddometer: 91
Hmmmm..... Not sure if the PC will make it. Regular street tires and 600+lbs wet. I need to get the DR up and running. Guess I'll be rebuilding that carb, lol!

Maybe I'll see ya.
SilverFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #865
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Thought you sold her long ago?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #866
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Jeff, I put it on the market for a few weeks but there were no takers with all the adventure stuff on the bike. Then removed the posting. So I just finished removing much of the aftermarket goodies. Now the reduced price closer to what I believe is inline with the market for a stock bike. I had to do the same with my Ducati. I've also given the DRZ a complete tune-up so the new owner will not have to bother for several thousand miles. It will be a great bike for someone.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #867
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,376
I bet you'll have no trouble selling the adv parts separately.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #868
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey guys since this thread is from San Andreas to Oakhurst I was wondering if any of you can assist me with a route. I'm not very familiar with your area north of Hwy 120. I can get to Hwy120 from Oakhurst via Forest Roads and trails so I don't need that portion of an adventure. I can supply that. What I would like to do is go from somewhere along Hwy 120 perhaps near Cherry Lake road, your call, over to Hwy 8 and beyond as far north as possible via backcountry. If you have a favorite section post it or PM me. If you have google or GPS tracks that's even better. My hope is to string together as much trail and forest roads as possible along the Sierra. Making notes along the way about historic spots, spurs to interesting spots, single tracks, difficulty, big bike friendly, camping, gas, food, lodging. Whatever info you feel is important. Pavement sections are a fact of life so include them when necessary. Someone else may know a way around them. Once put together we'll have a great adventure for all of us to enjoy come spring and summer.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #869
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,261
Your first hurdle from 120 to 108 is crossing the Tuolumne. Cherry valley road does that. Cottonwood road is a paved road that will take you to Tuolumne City.

The second crossing is 1N10 otherwise known at Lumsden bridge crossing. It is off Ferretti rd east of Groveland. There are a jillion roads back there. 3NO1 is a common hook up to 108, though more pavement every year.

DNK if you want 108 or 88. If the latter, The most common crossing to hwy 4 is through Beardley reservoir via Hells Half Acre aka 5N02 or a derivative 5N14 aka rt 52 on some maps. They both come out at the same place.

From 4 to 88 can be done through Arnold on 7N08. A less chance to get lost on road Is Black Sulfer springs road aka Summit level road east of Camp Connell. It hits Winton rd and that intersects 7N08 and is the only crossing on the Mokelumne river below Salt Spring Res. Any of the roads North come on 88.

The area is shut down for winter. The problem for most is too many roads with poor markings.

Read this
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111885

The section you are interested in, still applies.

itsatdm screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 08:26 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #870
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for response. I'll check the vehicles use map. I did see on the map that there are many roads back there as you mentioned. Can't tell on a map what they are like until ridden. It must be very cooked back there too. So I guess in spring time I can check them out.