Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #91
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Thanks, lurw. And yeah, that's a smile. :)

When I first arrived in Portland I made my way to a Peruvian restaurant called Andina. I'd been there years ago and it made a fairly substantial impression on me. Peruvian food can be very traditional Incan cuisine, but is commonly influenced by European, Japanese, Chinese and even African flavors and ingredients. Hundreds of years prior to "Fusion Cuisine," Peruvian cooks have been alloying bright tastes and indigenous ingredients using culinary techniques from around the world. Bah--who am I kidding, I'm no food historian--I'm just a curious glutton who dines alone and takes lots of pictures of his food to torment hungry inmates snacking on bugles in front of ADVRider:

(Above: ANTICUCHO DE CORAZÓN, or Marinated beef heart, skewered and grilled. The tough meat, broken down with a marinade, has a wonderful flavor and texture unlike anything else in the kingdom of beef cuts. (If only there was such a thing as beef heart marrow).

(Above: ANTICUCHO DE PULPO. No, it's not Octopus heart (I wish), just a lumpy, juicy, flavorful hunk of Octopus Tentacle with Chimichurri. Mouth watering deliciousness.)

(Above: SACSAYHUAMÁN - habanero pepper vodka shaken with pureed passionfruit and cane sugar, served up with a sugar rim and cilantro leaf garnish. It's a bit sweeter than I remember, and not nearly as spicy. What used to be the best cocktail I've ever had is now a little soft and spongey around the edges, but still pretty f'in good.)

(Above: CHICHARRON DE POLLO (and Prawns). Quinoa studded--think Peruvian fried chicken and shrimp--but a little healthier and not as tasty.)

No, I didn't eat it all, though I tried (I hadn't eaten much in two days). I shared with the businesswoman eating adjacent to me, who was kind enough to share some of her entree back.

Portland's food scene is unreal, by the way. My theory is that the Top Chefs who dream of changing the culinary landscape of the world end up selling their soul to investors, just so they can open a restaurant in NY, LA, SF or Vegas. The result? They lose all creative control to the investors who error on the side of playing everything safe. Portland's kitchens are a place for stubborn misfits, the true 'artists' of taste, for whom cooking is a compulsion, for whom sacrificing creativity for 'prestige' is akin to slicing off one's tongue to pay for the privilege to record an album. Portland, my dear friends, is right now, the epicenter of gastronomic genius.

Now if it would only stop raining....
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #92
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 174
Cool2 Welcome to the Northwet!

The crap quits Monday night with a little water Tuesday. Wednesday through at least Saturday should allow for some proper riding. Mine's been sitting under a cover the past four days, and I'm getting The Itch. Hell, if it weren't for class all week I'd be happy to show you a few choice spots. About the only one to avoid is Washougal River Road; every idiot and their drunken 2nd cousin rides it. Lots of law, too. SR-14 to 141 to BZ Glenwood Hwy to Goldendale is an absolute kick!

Touring the Pacific Northwest by Motorcycle - Motorcycle Roads Northwest

Bogfarth screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 05:24 PM Reason: I can't read
Bogfarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #93
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the link to roads, Bogfarth. I might be around for longer than a week, esp. if the weather clears up. And/or if I can get a functioning rain suit. Two down so far. I think I'm meant to just get soaked every time I ride.

Speaking of dry weather--it was a sunny day the first time I stopped by MotoCorsa. One of the finest Ducati shops I've been to. Even yesterday when it was pouring it seemed guys would just come in with no reason to be there other than to worship and it's not hard to figure out why.

And for all those women and new-to-motorcycling people for whom Ducati doesn't currently make a bike, here's some hope:

And if that doesn't float your boat, this probably won't either, but so cute you could punt one over the fence:
Old 09-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #94
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

D16RR. Not one, but....

...two!

And not one, but six Motocyzyczszzzs:

(I'm not going to bag on this electric bike because it's been to the Isle of Man TT and I have not).

I'll own one when I grow up:

I'll save my full write-up for MotoCorsa Part II. But safe to say that this shop is pretty friggin rad. Everyone here is super cool, the techs are wizards (thanks, AJ!), the service manager (Hannah) has raced about every R version Ducati has made and Arun (Bossman) rocks. More to come....

AntiHero screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 06:00 PM
Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #95
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Rode around Portland happily after my visit to MotoCorsa. I'd been working quite a bit lately, so the only time I had to ride was while going from one place to another. Having no destination was a relief.

My God I love this bike!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #96
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Andina night two.

Beets. Damn, I love beets, too. Sashimi of the soil.

Ceviche, with a Ron-Yki-On cocktail waiting patiently in the background. (Ginger rum shaken with cane sugar, fresh grapefruit and lime juice with cardamom-sugared rim.) I should have just poured the entire drink on the ceviche they went so well together.

Chicken kebobs, with a "spicy" salsa (nothing is ever hot enough).
Old 09-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #97
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Met up with one very cool dude from Episode 1. He'd moved from San Diego to Whidbey and was deploying soon, so I cut my time in Portland short and headed up to Seattle. He knew a great sushi place and, clearly, I hadn't been eating very well ;), and nothing succeeds like excess (this was about half of what we ordered):

After that, we headed to the gum wall for some dessert:

Then we just rode around terrorizing tourists and stunning locals with booming pipes 'fore stopping for a train.

This storage place rotating-color-lights, which was kind of a cool, opportune backdrop-and-light-stage all in one.

Not even sure how to describe the night better than the following picture does. Without any real purpose, we relaxed into momentary 'passivity', turning down alleys, riding 'lost', absorbing the lights, the sounds, the night air. We had an indifference to purpose. A moment before we were somewhere else and in a moment, somewhere after, but the 'now' was all that really mattered. It was as if we were trapped in an Asahi 'drink responsibly' ad, only without the women in the background peering curiously.

AntiHero screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 10:18 PM
Old 09-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #98
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Without any real purpose, we relaxed into momentary 'passivity', turning down alleys, riding 'lost', absorbing the lights, the sounds, the night air. We had an indifference to purpose. A moment before we were somewhere else and in a moment, somewhere after, but the 'now' was all that really mattered.
All of my favourite walk/ride/drive memories have involved such journeying for nothing but the sake of the experience itself.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #99
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 717
Loving the writing and riding. What's the name of the sushi place and what did you order? Hearing that way this next week and need it track that down.
Are you still shooting with the RX100? I really enjoy your pics as well.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #100
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,448
In! Thank you for sharing. Again.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #101
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
You met Arun and AJ... great folks. That is a really cool shop. They had always taken good are of me. I actually miss going in there since selling my last Duc about 4 years ago.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #102
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Good looking bikes: Check.
Good looking/tasting food: Check.
Good info on places to ride: Check.
Good writeup: Check.

I've been really enjoying your ride report. It's helping to motivate me to reach certain goals that I've set in exploring new places. I'm definitely going to do the 8 hr ride instead of work here soon.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #103
Tommy J
Dockworker

Oddometer: 86
Looks good so far with PTLD. and SEA. in the mix. So how has your rain gear been holding up?. I just made a five day trip through Eastern Oregon and my Klim Latitude pants leaked so there going back. Great pics on the Seattle waterfront.
'75 HONDA CB400F
Tommy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #104
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tommy J: My rain gear has been shit. Do not buy Sidi and do not buy Rev'it. My Sidi suit ($100 ish), made it through a few rainy days on my last R/R, then decided to disintegrate all over me while driving from Seattle to Portland. I spent 20 minutes picking off all the black pieces of plastic from the inside of the suit off my skin, then another 20 off the carpet of my rented flat. The following day, I went to MotoCorsa, bought a $120 Rev'it suit, and the fucker didn't just leak--it CHANNELED freezing water directly to my skin chandelier. Nothing lowers your core temp faster than running cold water over the scrotum radiator, which quite rapidly leads to George Costanza shrinkage AND what appeared to be a bladder issue. If my Airbnb hostess didn't just love the trail of tar my suit left going up the stairs, I'm sure she loved the idea of renting her place to someone who seemingly had bladder-control problems.

While literally freezing my balls off during the ride, my mind wandered. I thought, "how might a company that produces rain gear be able to actually test their products?" If I had a stopwatch that actually could pinpoint, down to the millionths of a second, how long it took me to come up with several answers to that question, I'd share the results. I did not, though, so let's just round up to the closest duration of time: 1 second.

It might be seasonally inconvenient to ask a company that produces rain gear to actually test their products in the rain, but after 1 second of ball-freezing-thought I discovered there are actually a surprising number of ways to adequately reproduce the effect of rain that does not involve protesting excessive fire-hydrant flow in front of Bolivian fire stations during nozzle-testing maneuvers at midnight. One could simply put on a rainsuit and take a shower(!). Or even sit in a chair and pour icy cold Coca-Cola down the front of the suit. Hell, a squirt gun given to a 7 year old who'd been given a lecture on 'stand your ground' could have exposed even the most minor design flaw. Even if no actual liquid was available for real testing, it does not take a mind-giant to realize that if you're going to have a flap on the front of the suit, make sure the opening isn't pointing directly INTO the wind.

I am not sure about how the flaps are positioned on the Sidi....I can't even touch it without more disintegration, but I'd venture a guess that it's the same. Perhaps both companies could co-market Civil War era blanket-technology and sell suits, tents and gloves manufactured from horsehair and glue.

I'm not even going to edit my post above because I'm aggravated, so please excuse any grammar, punctuation or spelling errors. (Ok, after I calmed down I did a quick once-over.)

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 01:37 AM
Old 10-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #105
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Loving the writing and riding. What's the name of the sushi place and what did you order? Hearing that way this next week and need it track that down.
Are you still shooting with the RX100? I really enjoy your pics as well.
Sushi place was Japonessa.

And yep--still firing off pics with the RX100. It's got a speck of dust on the sensor (which it's had since the beginning of the trip, requiring cropping and/or photoshopping), but it's still performing beyond expectations.

Aviator: Yep, spent some quality time with Arun, and AJ. AJ not only fixed my Piece of SHIT Gilles rearsets that kept locking up in gear, he also noticed I didn't have a lock ring on my rear wheel (I won't mention the tire guys who f'd that up) and also discovered my front axle was not torqued down properly (ok, I'll mention them indirectly--they are at every Zoom2 track event). Lesson 1) there's a reason you should do all your own work yourself and 2) there are good fucking mechanics out there who don't put your life at risk ('sup AJ!). Now you know who you can trust. Looking like I'll have haul my bike to every event with my truck just so I can carry stands Front and Rear, eliminating the need for me to depend on anyone else to change out my wheels.

It's truly incredible. Gilles fucks up, Sidi fucks up, Rev'it shits the bed, a company who does nothing but changes tires can't put a wheel back on (sorry guys, I like you, but you could have killed me), and even Sony can't do enough basic Quality Control to guarantee a $600 camera doesn't have dust on the sensor.

Edit: Oh yes, I also discovered the R30 Kriega isn't fully waterproof. One memory card, my sketchbook, some brain meds, and some other shit I'd packed into the pockets of the backpack were soaked. Though Kriega, as a company, is awesome and has some bitchin' products (and their people are top notch), the technical writer for their website needs to be struck in the knuckles with a crowbar for writing shit like, "Kriega R30 is widely acclaimed as the best 100% waterproof motorcycle backpack in the world" and, "The best waterproof motorcycle backpack available."

As you can see from the single picture (below) taken after a 3 hour ride in the rain (I have to give credit to Sony, even with dust on the sensor the puddle in the pocket is still visible!), a hefty bag held onto my back using bungee cords would have been less comfortable, but more waterproof. This was a free bag from Kriega, given to me without me even asking, because they liked my R/R and wanted to give back, which makes me feel like a total, ungrateful asshole, but photos on a memory card and a sketchbook I had hours and hours of work into were proper fucked. I also lost 1/2 of the meds I take several times a day to keep my brain inside my skull. The truth: the main compartment of the bag is about 95% waterproof, but the pockets are only good for about 30 minutes of sprinkles. If you know this, the bag fucking rocks. If you don't, you're not going to be happy when it rains.

(This was the excess water that wasn't absorbed by my gear in the top pocket. Puddle in the bottom pocket was the same.) I'm no marketing genius, but the whole "backpack with two built-in cereal bowls" could be a real selling point.

The good news: I waterproofed the exterior with leather wax after this incident. Even in a 1 hour downpour (today), the pockets stayed dry and the rest of the backpack material repelled (instead of absorbed) water. I'm still amazed at how wearing the bag, even when loaded up with gear (and H20), feels far lighter than it really is. The support system is truly amazing, but care should be taken to prepare the bag for a typhoon.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 04:01 AM