Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #541
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
So I got to try out my 10/20 degree combo setup tonight.

Completely blown away at how much more I could see and how much farther I could see down the road.

Absolutely amazing! Worth every penny.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #542
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post

Completely blown away at how much more I could see and how much farther I could see down the road.

It didn't happen unless we see a pic (or video). But don't stand on the mounts this time.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #543
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640

That would have to wait till this weekend
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #544
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post

Thank You for posting your thoughts
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #545
fletchiii
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
10/20 degree lights are amazing

I'd always been reticent to ride much at night because I couldn't see well, even though I love riding at night. Took the plunge and got these lights and the difference is all I could have hoped for. Now I'm riding at night with no hesitation as I can see, and be seen, far better than before. I've turned them off at night for a moment and freaked myself out at how dark it is without them. If you ever ride at night, these are a must.

Also, Darrell is great to work with. He's a hard core motorcyclist who gets it and knows how important customer service is. On a recent long trip I kicked my light and broke the mount (clearly my fault). Darrell replaced the mount feeling like it shouldn't have broken which I felt was way above and beyond.

Great lights and the right guy to spend your hard earned dollars with.
fletchiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #546
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchiii View Post
I'd always been reticent to ride much at night because I couldn't see well, even though I love riding at night. Took the plunge and got these lights and the difference is all I could have hoped for. Now I'm riding at night with no hesitation as I can see, and be seen, far better than before. I've turned them off at night for a moment and freaked myself out at how dark it is without them. If you ever ride at night, these are a must.

Also, Darrell is great to work with. He's a hard core motorcyclist who gets it and knows how important customer service is. On a recent long trip I kicked my light and broke the mount (clearly my fault). Darrell replaced the mount feeling like it shouldn't have broken which I felt was way above and beyond.

Great lights and the right guy to spend your hard earned dollars with.
Thank You sir
The mount that broke was the tube frame mount, not the Long Range mount. Although that's not really a warranty item and made by another party, We stand behind what we sell, and always put the customer first.
1-800-624-0278
Old 09-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #547
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

24hr race on an ADV bike?

This year Cyclops has put together a team of ADV bikes that will race the 24hrs at Starvation Ridge against 450 class bikes.
I'm very exited as myself, Alex Martins, Radek Burket ,John Isenburg and a few others from the ADV rider forum are looking forward to this event.
No ones has ever tried to ride an ADV bike around this track, let alone competitively race it. It should be a blast

Most of this race is in the dark,
We know we will have the best lights

Bikes are KTM 950/990's
so far sponsors are
Cyclops Adventure Sports
Konflict Suspension
Giant Loop
Renazco seats
Tigatu Clothing Co.

Please Check our team out on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/advheavyweights
1-800-624-0278
Old 10-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #548
idc22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Very impressed - doubled my riding time!

I have been thinking about better lights for a long time now, and riding with Cyclops a few times pushed me over the edge. Helped me set up 2xLED long range on my 990 crash bars and it is a night and day difference! We rode the WABDR section down to Hood River for a rally this weekend and night riding is an absolute blast now!

Cyclops lights are much better than the cheap knock offs I have seen around these days, highly recommend going with him.
idc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #549
paulvandenbogaard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
the cabling

I finally got time to look deeper into the package. LR's are relatively heavy. Looking great! I now see the lights are not symmetrical: there is a top. (where the sticker is). The "issue" with the top is, that the bracket will not move over it. I have attached them upside down to a SW-Motech bracket (for HAWK lights) on my KTM SMT 990. This is a very tight fit! Only a couple of millimeters left between light and fork leg. The bracket itself is also not symmetrical. Looking at where the bolt is one side is straight, where the other side is round. Is there a meaning for this? One of my LRs had the bracket fitted "straight part" in front, while the other had the rounded part in front. Had to change the latter to "straight part in front" to ensure the lights would not touch the bikes fairing...

One question though for the cabling....

From the dimmer there is a red wire without any plug tagged "to switched power" This one needs to be coupled to a positive point that becomes active after the bike is switched on. Correct?
What will be the maximum power draw here?

BTW I assume the dimmer is waterproof, so it can be placed anywhere on the bike. Or should it be placed in a shielded environment, that is (in my case) under the seat?

Now some more questions for my understanding.

Why is there a 20 AMP fuse? Two LRs draw so little power (10W each) that I would guess a 5A would be more than sufficient. I bought the wiring stuff, hower there is so much wiring that it might be easier for me to use and reconnect to existing wiring that is already after the bike power on switch using an existing relay (and fuse). For this I only need to know what the max consumption is for each component (single LR, dimmer) Assume the multi function switch does not consume any power at all.
paulvandenbogaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #550
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

The lights are substantial and not made cheaply. about 1 pound each. They will last longer than your bike they are on. If you pickup a powerful LED and its really light, you will see issues with that product in the future.
You can flip the bracket around from top to bottom and forward and backward. That gives many different mounting options. That allows for most clearance issues. You will have to unbolt the bracket to move it to the top or bottom.
Yes the dimmer is water resistant, I advise you to put it under a fairing or seat etc.
Switched power is power that is on when the bike is running or the key is on and not on when the key is off, You can also run that to the battery, But I don't advise that. this circuit just triggers the relay, very little power going threw there.
We use large fuses due to the FACT that fuses on bikes will blow from vibration and not power draw, This comes from our extensive night racing experience, the lights will run an a 2 amp fuse. Don't do it, keep it as it is.
You really should not have to buy anything other than maybe a terminal for your switched power source.
These lights really need no relays, you certainly can wire them in threw the switch with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvandenbogaard View Post
I finally got time to look deeper into the package. LR's are relatively heavy. Looking great! I now see the lights are not symmetrical: there is a top. (where the sticker is). The "issue" with the top is, that the bracket will not move over it. I have attached them upside down to a SW-Motech bracket (for HAWK lights) on my KTM SMT 990. This is a very tight fit! Only a couple of millimeters left between light and fork leg. The bracket itself is also not symmetrical. Looking at where the bolt is one side is straight, where the other side is round. Is there a meaning for this? One of my LRs had the bracket fitted "straight part" in front, while the other had the rounded part in front. Had to change the latter to "straight part in front" to ensure the lights would not touch the bikes fairing...

One question though for the cabling....

From the dimmer there is a red wire without any plug tagged "to switched power" This one needs to be coupled to a positive point that becomes active after the bike is switched on. Correct?
What will be the maximum power draw here?

BTW I assume the dimmer is waterproof, so it can be placed anywhere on the bike. Or should it be placed in a shielded environment, that is (in my case) under the seat?

Now some more questions for my understanding.

Why is there a 20 AMP fuse? Two LRs draw so little power (10W each) that I would guess a 5A would be more than sufficient. I bought the wiring stuff, hower there is so much wiring that it might be easier for me to use and reconnect to existing wiring that is already after the bike power on switch using an existing relay (and fuse). For this I only need to know what the max consumption is for each component (single LR, dimmer) Assume the multi function switch does not consume any power at all.
1-800-624-0278

Off Road Ryder screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 10:32 AM
Old 10-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #551
paulvandenbogaard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Connected them, and switched to on. These (2LR's 10 degree) are bright, and that is an understatement. Even on lowest setting of the dimmer I fear they are too bright and will blind upcomming traffic. However I will only be able to tell after install is complete. Will the LRs still work with another dimmer that would reduce the light even more?
paulvandenbogaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #552
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvandenbogaard View Post
Connected them, and switched to on. These (2LR's 10 degree) are bright, and that is an understatement. Even on lowest setting of the dimmer I fear they are too bright and will blind upcomming traffic. However I will only be able to tell after install is complete. Will the LRs still work with another dimmer that would reduce the light even more?
Thanks Paul. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the lack of flashes you get. Try them out and get back to us.
I never get flashed, but I do dim quite a bit ahead of time, showing the oncoming that I have done something. During the day they are always on full blast.
Aim the lights straight out at the same level as they are mounted for best results, slightly down if anything.
I noticed this weekend while riding with riders with multi emitter lights or small single emitter lights that theirs where far more potent to look into than both the long range and long range extreme lights.
Do to the much larger reflectors on the long range series that don't blind nearly as bad as the other lights.
The original LR lights require our dimmer, due to the built in PWM, the Long Range extreme lights can use the skeene or other dimmers.
1-800-624-0278
Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #553
OBD
Other Brother

Oddometer: 78
hurts my eyes just looking at the picture.
LRXtremes on an F800GS (more pix once i button it up)
BTW Thanks Darryl for all the help!

OBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #554
ballshot
nOOb in training

Oddometer: 49
Got my lights mounted.

Thanks Darryl for getting the lights out to me while you were preparing for your race this past weekend. Super fast shipping.

I finished up my brackets and got the lights mounted yesterday.
I went out for a quick test ride tonight but unfortunately it turns out my town is pretty well lit. The true test will be this weekend when I'm on the backroads of West Virginia and Kentucky. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again for the great service.
Billy

ballshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #555
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballshot View Post
Billy

Looks great Billy!

any change of a few more pics of your actual mounts inc the back of the mirror mounts? ie inside the fairing - i'm trying to get an idea of how substantial the mirror mounts are compared to my Superhawks.....ie do you get any wobble or vibration of the beam?

cheers very much

Shaggie

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote