Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Gearbox / transmission - time for rebuild?

I probably already know the answer to this question but before taking it to an "expert" and being told to invest serious s I wanted to double check with the experience here...

Issues:
  • Whirring rattling noise in neutral that goes away when clutch is pulled. Decreases when left for a while in neutral
  • Sometimes difficult to put it into first gear and I have to slip on the clutch slightly
  • Sometimes ends up in false neutrals between gear, especially between 2nd and 3rd
  • Gearing down quite often, if from high speed/rev and intending engine breaking, can be difficult especially to 2nd and it feels, and sounds, as if changing gear without pulling the clutch lever
  • A couple of times, but rare, it's jumped out of first gear

I'll bring it to the expert next week but interested in hearing your thoughts as said.

Cheers V
victorlaszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,505
have you talked to Rob farmer or Voyager yet ?

Here's an excellent thread with the insides shown

http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread....hlight=gearbox
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,586
the last one is worn tranny. for the others, adjust the clutch first and see what happens.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,474
change the tranny oil, check for debris/shavings. if none, keep riding, but keep changing fluid often, maybe every 1000 miles, and keep looking for metal.
some gearboxes are very rattley when in neutral, yet will show no signs of bearing damage. I have a noisy one, just keep checking it and keep riding it!
I'll also agree that most of those symptoms sound like a misadjusted clutch. check your free play at both ends.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorlaszlo View Post
I probably already know the answer to this question but before taking it to an "expert" and being told to invest serious s I wanted to double check with the experience here...

Issues:
  • Whirring rattling noise in neutral that goes away when clutch is pulled. Decreases when left for a while in neutral
  • Sometimes difficult to put it into first gear and I have to slip on the clutch slightly
  • Sometimes ends up in false neutrals between gear, especially between 2nd and 3rd
  • Gearing down quite often, if from high speed/rev and intending engine breaking, can be difficult especially to 2nd and it feels, and sounds, as if changing gear without pulling the clutch lever

I'll bring it to the expert next week but interested in hearing your thoughts as said.

Cheers V
If gearchange quality goes to crap as the gearbox heats up, it's an indication that something needs to be done.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
the last one is worn tranny. for the others, adjust the clutch first and see what happens.
The clutch engages and disengages fine, would you recommend tightening it even further...?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
have you talked to Rob farmer or Voyager yet ?

Here's an excellent thread with the insides shown

http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread....hlight=gearbox
Thanks for the tip - just subscribed there :)
Old 09-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
victorlaszlo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Motorworks seems to have rebuilt gearboxes for 300 - must be cheaper than rebuilding mine right in case thats the case...?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
The clutch engages and disengages fine, would you recommend tightening it even further...?
Put the freeplay on spec on both ends. Spec in the manual.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,784
Quote:

Issues:

Cheers V
#1...This is normal. The noise is supposedly from inside the trans I think but don't worry about it.

#2...This type of transmission needs for the gears to be moving immediately before engaging. Don't sit at idle with the trans in neutral and the clutch lever pulled in. This allows the shafts to slow down, even stop, and when you want to shift into 1st the dogs don't engage. Idle in neutral with the lever out. May even have to rev the motor just before pulling lever and shifting into gear.

#3...This is not a good sign. But it is not the worst

#4...Not sure I understand this one. I don't use a lot of engine braking tho. I use some but not a lot. If I wanted to use more rpm on slowing down I'm sure I could but I've been riding these things for a long time.

#5...This is a bad sign. Can be expensive to fix. The longer you wait the worst it will get.

There is a correct way to adjust the clutch. It involves a measurement of 201mm from the rear of the trans to the barrel of the cable. Set this with the adjustment on top. Then set the free play at the top lever with the bolt and nut adjustment on the bottom. If you need more help with this write me and I'll try to walk you through it.

Padmei always has some of the best posts. I also am enjoying that link. I'm currently struggling with my second transmission rebuild so it is very timely.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
+1 on sorting clutch cable free play first.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,633
Some of the answers to your questions depend on whether it's a four speed or a five speed?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote