ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #706
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Seeing all these pics makes me feel bleu
If you dragged a sack of cement mix 1/4 mile up a rocky hill made greasy with rain, you'd have the experience of helping get my GS unstuck from the spot where the flywheel was knackered.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #707
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Seeing all these pics makes me feel bleu
I got a ass kick-n last weekend.... you should have been there!
I will need to go back and make a better run at it...

My T-63s were pretty worn, so when they filled up with mud, it was really slippery. Plus the hills were much bigger than usual...

Given that I had a mostly worn T-63, how much of a difference would a good tire make?

What is the best tire for that terrain?

For me:
I would like to see a DS route that just goes down to Dirt Roads, and has rated WR options. I don't even know if I can do a DS Hero 1.0, given what the 2.5 was like.

My DS Hero 2.5 description:

A DS Hero 2.5 has lots of slippery mud, with steep rooted rocky twisty uphill sections usually with a decent size log and/or large rocks sprinkled in. It also has steep downhill sections with occasional large drops where you expect to hear the bashing of your skid plate but somehow magically does not happen if your are on a wrr.
__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #708
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ken F's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Wallingford
Oddometer: 410
Fx does make a street legal bike.http://www.fxbikes.com/models/
Ken F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #709
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
you'd have the experience of helping get my GS unstuck from the spot where the flywheel was knackered.
BTDT
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #710
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go
 
Drewha's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tolland,Ct
Oddometer: 560








The FU log

Rob visualizing the route for tomorrow.

Sunday Morning.



Rob.....still visualizing

Getting ready to roll out.

Not a bad setting for the start.

The Husky after coming out of the first Hero 2.5 section right from the start. It was three miles long and took me an hour to get through. Brutal.
__________________
08 Husqvarna TE 610
04 Ducati ST3
Drewha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #711
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 744
Thinking of putting a Teraflex rear and MT16 front on the wrr...
Just though it would be fun to try out this tire...

Would the bike still be usable for road use?
__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #712
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Thinking of putting a Teraflex rear and MT16 front on the wrr...
Just though it would be fun to try out this tire...

Would the bike still be usable for road use?
The Terraflex is not a tire for small displacement bikes. The MT16 front and rear isnt a bad choice. Not sure if the rear is DOT rated though. Personally, I think that the Pirelli trials tire is about the best dual purpose tire you can put on a bike like that.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #713
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
The Terraflex is not a tire for small displacement bikes. The MT16 front and rear isnt a bad choice. Not sure if the rear is DOT rated though. Personally, I think that the Pirelli trials tire is about the best dual purpose tire you can put on a bike like that.
Thanks for the feedback...

After the BBR there are a lot of things I can do better...
but the mud getting all stuck to my tires really made it hard to stay upright...
maybe if the T63 wasn't worn out... I would have had less of an issue with it.. I will check out the Pirelli...
__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #714
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Thanks for the feedback...

After the BBR there are a lot of things I can do better...
but the mud getting all stuck to my tires really made it hard to stay upright...
maybe if the T63 wasn't worn out... I would have had less of an issue with it.. I will check out the Pirelli...
For general dualsporting, the trials gives good traction in everything but mud.

When you enter an event like the a Turkey Run or an Enduro, a brand new MT16 is the way to go.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #715
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 744
Creating a Garmin Track Map

If anyone is interested in how to show a track or even multiple tracks with different colors on a garmin, I found it can be done with the following programs:

Use Basecamp to create a list with one or more tracks and save as a gpx file.
Use IMGfromGPX to convert the gpx file to a map.
Use JaVaWa GMTK to load the map into Mapsource.
Use Mapsource to load the map into the gps.
__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #716
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
If anyone is interested in how to show a track or even multiple tracks with different colors on a garmin, I found it can be done with the following programs:

Use Basecamp to create a list with one or more tracks and save as a gpx file.
Use IMGfromGPX to convert the gpx file to a map.
Use JaVaWa GMTK to load the map into Mapsource.
Use Mapsource to load the map into the gps.
holy schmoly, now I'm really confused. My GPSmap 60csx is pretty much a glorified speedometer/odometer.

You yung'ins and your computer thingys.

I downloaded RideLeader and haven't figured much out.

I have a couple gpx files that I can't figure out how to display and follow.



somebody hold a class. Maybe a good reason to all get together in January.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #717
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,586
My etrex GPS lets me change the track color to whatever I want. I prefer the pink because it doesn't blend into the other graphics. Default colors are blue and gray, hard to read.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #718
seekerhiker
Starbuck
 
seekerhiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: New Hartford, CT
Oddometer: 44
Was it all just a bad trip...?

I think this happened to me during the Berkshire Triple on September 8 on my KLR250. Or was it just a bad trip?

__________________
Chris, the big guy that may be too much of a girlie-man for his new 2001 DRZ400s, formerly on the little teal KLR250, you remember, the one that passed you...
seekerhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #719
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
holy schmoly, now I'm really confused. My GPSmap 60csx is pretty much a glorified speedometer/odometer.

You yung'ins and your computer thingys.
I downloaded RideLeader and haven't figured much out.
I have a couple gpx files that I can't figure out how to display and follow.
somebody hold a class. Maybe a good reason to all get together in January.
Here is step by step video on how I created a map with a route that was converted to a track.. and a track made manually. Hopefully, when I come back to the Berkshires I can get a route sheet in advance to make up a map for the ride.

__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #720
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Here is step by step video on how I created a map with a route that was converted to a track.. and a track made manually. Hopefully, when I come back to the Berkshires I can get a route sheet in advance to make up a map for the ride.

Thanks JG, but now what are we gonna do in January?
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014