Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #61
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeikoKid View Post
So, in my work experience ive come across security screws / bolts that were twisted in but have no means of removal apart from a drill.
As this is a security lock and German I figured it could be a possibility. So now I drilled off the cover, just want to check if these cover bolts can be bought again as this ones getting drilled out
Im blasting and painting the frame which is why I am stripping it

I took a better picture of the head - am I correct in thinking that if I went for R80 heads then I would have to change over loads of other parts too?

Oh, and I took a vid of the other head with the spark plug issue - I was hoping if you guys could actually see it then you would know whether it needs attention or it will suffice?
http://youtu.be/fm4MOhzFiQE
Threads are trashed.

Dunno on the head conversion. The R65 is a shorter stoke motor so you would keep the short barrels and push rods. Rockers should be the same but the rocker mounts might not fit. Really don't know. I would only consider R65 heads. If you're interested in the racing ones I have, read over the ad first.

I can't see videos. Sorry. If the heads are coming off, just plan on fixing it.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #62
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
can you send me a link of your sale posts? you post alot and I got way into your history then got fed up :)

Hmm, that link should work - Its direct
SeikoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #63
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeikoKid View Post
So, in my work experience ive come across security screws / bolts that were twisted in but have no means of removal apart from a drill.
As this is a security lock and German I figured it could be a possibility. So now I drilled off the cover, just want to check if these cover bolts can be bought again as this ones getting drilled out
Im blasting and painting the frame which is why I am stripping it
Oh, and I took a vid of the other head with the spark plug issue - I was hoping if you guys could actually see it then you would know whether it needs attention or it will suffice?
http://youtu.be/fm4MOhzFiQE
Pull what remains of the rivet straight out, the new one is an interference fit to work, so you don't want to wallow it out. The correct method of removal is to pry under the cover, then the lock can be easily removed with the key. Don't lose that thin washer or you'll need to replace it. The spark plug hole in your video has the loosest thread I've ever seen, short of being completely stripped...!
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #64
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

Ok, lock removed and hole drilled ready for a 5mm tap. Ill put a security screw in there once im done
Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #65
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

Dang it! I've come a cropper....

for the life of me I couldn't figure out how the 2 up bench seat base was created. Rang a few custom seat upholsters but still was none the wiser
I think I've figured out that you take the metal base of the original, cut it to shape then get one of the above mentioned chaps to do the rest ..

Was I correct?

However , this makes me ask about the locking pin. and how it is then attached to the frame as I won't need to have it removable

Do I still mount my shortened rear mudguard where the existing one was?

oh, I think I need to get a donor seat pan as this ones almost eaten away

SeikoKid screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 02:40 PM
Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #66
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 471
Thumb Best seat upgrade

Do away with the hinged seat. Make the seat a removable unit it will make a great upgrade the stock BMW seat hinges are a pain to remove / install. Check the interweb for more info
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #67
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

not sure if mine is hinged ? by hinge do you mean the single hook underneath?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #68
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 471
Looks like yours is rusted out but here is the scoop:

Removable seat upgrade / instuction VIA Duane Ausherman's website:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/seatmod/

good website for info
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #69
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=494860&page=8

it's all in Boxer odysseys thread as posted previously.

On my GS I actually had a KLR seat floating around that had a plastic seat base. I trimmed & heated & bent it to fit.
I need to have space for a pillion but a plastic seat could be cut down easily enough. It prob not what you want for yours & admittedly prob looks a bit queer to some but it is very comfy & shows what is possible if you start bending your mind.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1346

Keep looking & thinking & solutions will come to you. You are quite lucky as there are custom builders in your town. Nothing is as good as seeing something in person to get the feel of it & talking to the guys that make stuff. Don't be shy about it as I've found most guys are pretty happy to talk about their bikes & how to find solutions.

BTW did I mention previously I was given a cheap plastic chinese scooter front guard I cut to fit the front wheel on Gus to use as a low guard?. you prob could cut one down further & spray it with chrome paint.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #70
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

Right, gotcha!

Really though Im not wanting to get particulally creative on the frame and guards side. It may seem lazy but Im after finding someone who can make or supply me the parts ( cut down sub frame and seat, mudguards ) so I can simply bolt them together and continue with my rebuild.
Im not wanting anything amazing but something like what I saw in the pictures I posted at the begining.

Im just not able to invest all my spare time into this project as I already am devoted to a few other after work tasks and am striving for down time enough as it is.

For me this re build is part fun, but mainly some focus with a daily usable bike at the end ands to keep it within my skilled limits
Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #71
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

Basic research has go me this far on expenses - more than I expected!

Lead to unleaded conversion , helicoil, exhaust thread repair, front springs, paint, seat, tyres, battery, front discs and pads, few other odds and ends but still not everything I need

still need to pay for the welding, engine gaskets, handle bars, grips, headlight, indicators, mudguards, engine and gearbox oils, rear brake pads
Speedo......
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #72
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Search for my guide to making a seat........ Use your creativity.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #73
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
Search for my guide to making a seat........ Use your creativity.
Hey, I searched through all your posts but couldn't find anything. Would you have a link to the post please?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #74
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807830

There ya go. I did a solo seat, but it's the same principal for any seat
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #75
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the link - great work but most certainly what I'm not wanting to get involved in!

I was looking at some service like this
eBay - 321198397652

Afrer alot of thought and research I've decided this is a little out of my league

several reasons and 1 of them being I need to move house and don't know if I will be getting a work shed again anytime soon

I would like to offer the parts up for grabs on here but failing that I'll do what I did when I stripped my CB600 and eBay it

However as I have the frame bare , I was thinking it might sell better if I were to have it all power-coated ready for the new owner ?

Not seen a frame for sale recently however so unsure of it value and whether it's a worthwhile cause ?

Was gonna do the same with the wheels too ?

Just felt its a better way to sell it and can also save the buyer some hassle