ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
tehdutchie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,697
http://africansafarimarathon.com ?

Anyone have any inside knowledge about the above? Organiser okay etc etc?

5 dutchies planning to take plunge and run ahead of the lions.
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Gian
dreamer
 
Gian's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: north east of Italy
Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Anyone have any inside knowledge about the above? Organiser okay etc etc?

5 dutchies planning to take plunge and run ahead of the lions.
never heard of... btw like the Grand China Rally managed by Auriol, finished a few day ago
http://www.autonewsinfo.com/2013/09/...es-103478.html
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
2volts
Rocket Surgeon
 
2volts's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Perth, Western Australia.
Oddometer: 270
Antal,
There was a South African bloke at Geraldton at the end of the Safari handing out his business card promoting this event. George Brooker, Race Director. He was telling us how cheap it would be for us Aussies to race over there because of the exchange rate for SA rands.

pete
2volts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Bluebull2007
Adventurer
 
Bluebull2007's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Lima, Perú
Oddometer: 4,930
Yes, George Booker is keen to do something and announced a 7 day event next year. It seems like it could be a series of loops over seven days around Vredendal in the western cape as the fixed bivouac. I understand it will be full road book navigation. George apparently attended the Australasian safari this year as an observer to "learn" the ropes. It nevertheless remains to be seen whether this will actually happen, because after the original announcement in March/April this year, there has been no further progress update.

Regardless later this month will be the third edition of the Amageza Safari rally, also in South Africa. This year its a full blown road-book desert rally, covering a very tough 1,900km in just three days. In the Dakar spirit of old Africa, the route is designed to be gruelling. It is expected by the organiser's that only some will be able to finish this event.


More on this event here.


The entry fee was only about $600.
__________________
-
-
RIP Angelo Pandelidis aka Brodovich Team F5 leader and inventor of Brodomath.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
tehdutchie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2volts View Post
Antal,
There was a South African bloke at Geraldton at the end of the Safari handing out his business card promoting this event. George Brooker, Race Director. He was telling us how cheap it would be for us Aussies to race over there because of the exchange rate for SA rands.

pete
Yep, he was around the whole week, George as BlueBull stated, had a few little chats with him.

Trying to find out how 'real' this event will be, if possible at all.

Will give it a few months to see if more details become available.
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
tehdutchie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

Regardless later this month will be the third edition of the Amageza Safari rally, also in South Africa. This year its a full blown road-book desert rally, covering a very tough 1,900km in just three days. In the Dakar spirit of old Africa, the route is designed to be gruelling. It is expected by the organiser's that only some will be able to finish this event.


More on this event here.




The entry fee was only about $600.
I have been following the Amageza, perhaps 2014 :) Shipping a bike for only a 3 day event is a bit over the top imho.
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Bluebull2007
Adventurer
 
Bluebull2007's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Lima, Perú
Oddometer: 4,930
Yeah I agree, 3 days is not worth it...Unless you want to do some riding around as well.

We will see what happens next year, but this years event almost did not happen thanks to the very expensive FIM fees which would have resulted in many locals turning away from the event. Eventually it went ahead without FIM and more on an informal basis.

I think the vision is there to produce a 6 or 7 day event next year. Let's see.
__________________
-
-
RIP Angelo Pandelidis aka Brodovich Team F5 leader and inventor of Brodomath.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
tehdutchie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Yeah I agree, 3 days is not worth it...Unless you want to do some riding around as well.

We will see what happens next year, but this years event almost did not happen thanks to the very expensive FIM fees which would have resulted in many locals turning away from the event. Eventually it went ahead without FIM and more on an informal basis.

I think the vision is there to produce a 6 or 7 day event next year. Let's see.
I think it is the same everywhere, FIM or FIA fees (and required logistics) make it very hard to organise a pure amateur based event. Without a serious backer and support from the local governments (like the state of Western Australia) it is nearly impossible to organise.

If you have the opportunity to organise without FIM or FIA 'interference' (like the way the Tuareg Rally moved to Tunesia, because of interference in Morocco) you can still have a world class event imho.
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014