Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #571
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
I have read many posts about BD great customer service - well here is another. I called and Mike answered the phone , started to tell him about needing the brackets for the KTM shroud. He said he was just reading my post on ADV - and would send them and the bolt that I managed to lose out at no charge for the parts. Sure is nice to deal with people who are proud of their products and customer care. Thanks Mike
Hi
Thanks for the support and kind words. Its greatly appreciated
760 560 2252 ext 126 and/or ext.123
Baja Designs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #572
dct3416
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Any idea when the Squadron will be available to fit the 2014 500 EXC?
dct3416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #573
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 852
Supersized Squadron

Did I miss a post about the new Squadron XL? Besides the obvious increase in size of the reflectors over the Squadron, what are the differences in performance? I have an older BD 8" HID racelight that I'm looking to replace but want to be certain that the LED's will be an improvement.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #574
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 852
Bueller. Bueller?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #575
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Did I miss a post about the new Squadron XL? Besides the obvious increase in size of the reflectors over the Squadron, what are the differences in performance?
I emailed Baja Designs a day ago on this exact topic and haven't heard anything.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #576
dct3416
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
I emailed Baja Designs a day ago on this exact topic and haven't heard anything.
I emailed them also and here was their response: "The difference is the size of the reflector, and housing. It allows us to use a deeper reflector and capture more light achieving greater distance. The same LED is used drawing 42 watts in both the Squadron and XL."
dct3416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #577
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Squadron XL

The Squadron XL is the Onx light bar in a squadron shape. Both the regular Squadron and Squadron XL now have 4300 lumens but the XL has deeper optics that throw light farther - according to Baja Designs, the XL has the distance of an HID light.

The XL is bigger and heavier than the regular Squadron. Currently the XL is only available in newer KTM masks. It is too big to fit in a CRF450X mask or the Polisport MX mask that the "universal" regular Squadron comes in.

The XL, using Onx technology has a pre-built dimmer in it. This means that with a toggle switch you can change from 100% output to 50% output. From reading this thread, most guys run their regular Squadrons from 20-40% power for street. Even with the built-in dimming option of the XL, it may be too bright for consistent traffic use and require a true BD or skene dimmer.

Baja Designs said they are at least a few months away from making a universal XL motorcycle light as they first need to find a mask that's big enough to fit the larger XL body.

I really wanted the XL but needed it asap so I settled with the Squadron (which at 4300 lumens and a spot lens is still a bitchen light). When the night shots, ride reports and comparison photos come out, I may be tempted to get the XL but only if the throw is significantly farther than the regular Squadron. If a universal XL was ready, I would have purchased one...

Until then, I'll be testing/abusing my Squadron once it arrives in the mail

PS: No I do not work for BD nor get any discounts (even though I wish I did!!) but I just had this exact phone convo with them when I ordered my Squadron so I figured I'd share the intell here too. Mike (who posts here on ADV) was a big help in answering my questions
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #578
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
http://www.bajadesigns.com/Resources...50-0009%29.pdf

The Squadron XL kit instructions for KTM say:

Quote:
These instructions will cover KTM year models 2008-2013.

The SquadronXL M/C Light operates on DC voltage and draws 3.2 amps at 12.5 volts. Most electric start off-road motorcycles have an AC/DC charging system that only provides a minimal amount of DC power to the battery. For 2008-2011 year models, you will need to convert your stock charging system to run 100% DC. This can be accomplished by either floating the ground on your OEM stator or by having your OEM stator rewound. Regardless of which option you choose you will also need to replace your stock AC/DC regulator/rectifier with Baja Designs part #12-2004. If you have any questions about these modifications please feel free to give us a call (800)422-5292. For 2012 EFI bikes, you won’t have to modify any of your KTM’s electrical system. If you try to run this light off the battery with the stock AC/DCcharging system, you will discharge the battery.
This is confusing.

The 690 models are all EFI from 2008 so I think that these instructions need to be updated/modified, no?

I've emailed Baja Designs for clarification.

EDIT: I've now received a response from BD, Mike DiSano.

"Unfortunately the instructions are not accurate for the 690 models."
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro

gen screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 05:59 PM
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #579
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
2010 KTM 530 XC-W

Before:

After:

Only issue us that it does not work to well w/ this series of KTM. The lower mounting strap touches the ECU and limits steering lock quite a bit on the left side. I would also be afraid of falling and having the pressure break the ECU.

This is not gonna be a problem in my case since I'm mounting the Squadron like this:

I like that the headlight sits higher so I can run my tube bag and not have it interfere w/ the light:

Yellow Pig;
Where did you get the fork mount set up? This looks like what I need?

Cheers
Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #580
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Yellow Pig;
Where did you get the fork mount set up? This looks like what I need?

Cheers
x2 on the fork mounts.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #581
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
x2 on the fork mounts.

Looks like he is using their race light quick release mount kit ($120) and then using a metal plate to connect the squadron polisport mask to the male end quick release bracket.
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #582
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
Looks like he is using their race light quick release mount kit ($120) and then using a metal plate to connect the squadron polisport mask to the male end quick release bracket.
Edited, found the race mount kit here: http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=600092
Old 10-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #583
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,220
That's right, except I had the fork mount components sitting in the garage from a crashed 8" race light. All I had to do was order the Tecate mounting plate and I was good to go.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #584
ADVTuga
Paulo Lança

Oddometer: 298
Any news about BD guys ?
Trying to contact them but without sucess .
Old 10-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #585
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 525
Hey guys

Sorry haven't been to active lately on the forums have been taking on multiple different tasks.

Like a few guys mentioned both the Squadron and Squadron XL use the same LED the Cree XML2 LED the main difference is the size of the housing allowing us to use the high speed spot reflector. This is the same reflector that we use in the High Speed OnX LED Light Bar. Therefore even greater distance can be achieved.

The smaller Squadron is a 3x3" and the Squadron XL is a 4.5 x 4.5". We also have new lenses for the XL to change the different beam patterns since the high speed spot reflector is used in each pattern. There is a clear lens for all spot, a half n half lens( half clear and half wide-cornering) this is the driving/combo, and there is an all diffused wide-cornering light.

The Squadron XL also has a built in 50% mode which will take place of the dimmer. We are working on a wiring adapter to utilize your stock hi/lo switches to activate the 50% and 100% modes.

We also have version of the Squadron for the 2008-2013 KTMs and a version for the 2014 as well. Retail pricing is $374.95 before the ADVrider discount.

Hope this helps let me know if you guys have any questions

Thanks
Mike
760 560 2252 ext 126 and/or ext.123
Baja Designs is online now   Reply With Quote