ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
yobuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Going to Maine, need suggestions..

Fellow ADV'rs, could use a little input about an upcoming trip.
Unfortunately we will not be on the bike this trip but we are visiting Boston and then going to drive to Maine 10/20. We have 5 nights to spend in Maine/NH. My initial thought is to spend two nights in Portland, ME. and then two nights in Bar Harbor and another somewhere else. Open for suggestions for different towns to stay in. We enjoy night life, good restaurants, and fun places to visit. Not really into the romantic quiet type places. Places to visit, things to do, etc. are all welcome. Do enjoy, bicycle rides, food, local sights, breweries and anything related to motorcycles.
Hope to return in two years and ride the great Northeast up to NS.

Thanks,
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
NHTOTEROAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
You might try North Conway, NH. Lots of good restaurants, night life, outdoor activities (bicycling, hiking, climbing, etc.), great location with the White Mountains. For breweries they have Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewery (http://www.moatmountain.com/ ) and for motorcycle related they have White Horse Gear (http://www.whitehorsegear.com/ ).
Just to foreward you, by October 20th most of the good fall colors will be gone. But so will most of the tourists.
NHTOTEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Jeff B
I apologize

Oddometer: 5,102
I'm also heading to Maine the end of next week, so I'm also listening for suggestions. I'll have 5 days to work with. I want a lobster buzz.

Disconnected......... "The random thing was Grape Ape was there too"
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,918
Place sucks man, go somewhere else!
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Maineboarder88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I don't recommend Baah Habah. Pricey$$$, and not all that much to see IMO. Especially since Acadia National Park is now closed due to the Government shutdown.

Take a ride up Route 1 on the coast. Quaint towns aplenty. I like Camden and other spots on the mid-coast.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTOTEROAD View Post
You might try North Conway, NH. Lots of good restaurants, night life, outdoor activities (bicycling, hiking, climbing, etc.), great location with the White Mountains. For breweries they have Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewery (http://www.moatmountain.com/ ) and for motorcycle related they have White Horse Gear (http://www.whitehorsegear.com/ ).
Just to foreward you, by October 20th most of the good fall colors will be gone. But so will most of the tourists.
This.

Neat place to check out for your moto content is Whitehorse Gear.

Also on the other end of the Kanc (Rte 112) is N. Woodstock. The Woodstock Inn can be a fun place to stay. Sometimes entertainment onsite.

We stopped off in Bar Harbor earlier this year on the way back from Grand Manan. Pretty cool town to walk around at night and see the sights. Geddy's. Of course, October may be slightly different.

We stayed here. Walking distance to everything and fairly reasonable for Bar Harbor. Wanna say it around $100. Best breakfast in Bar Harbor is across the street regardless of where you may stay.

A neat place in Maine is DeLorme if you're into maps. Right up the road is the Thai Garden for the best Thai in Maine. Get the Drunken Noodles.

Of course, there's the rest of Freeport to wander if you're into that kind of thing.

Don't know what your Boston plans are but Faneuil Hall can be very entertaining.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
heDONist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
transportation museum

http://www.ohtm.org/
Old 10-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineboarder88 View Post
I don't recommend Baah Habah. Pricey$$$, and not all that much to see IMO.
Oh c'mon dude, everybody ought to see Bar Harbor. And go out on the bar (there really is one) over to the island at low tide. And see the boats going across it at high tide.

But for scenic sites, if the Park is closed, that would be a bummer.

My parents took me to Bar Harbor when I was a kid, and I took my kids when they were younger. They'll probably take theirs someday. But we like that views - nature - tide pools - blueberries up on the mountain sort of stuff. If somebody is looking for hot discos and hipster bars, maybe not so much.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Maineboarder88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Oh c'mon dude, everybody ought to see Bar Harbor. And go out on the bar (there really is one) over to the island at low tide. And see the boats going across it at high tide.

But for scenic sites, if the Park is closed, that would be a bummer.

My parents took me to Bar Harbor when I was a kid, and I took my kids when they were younger. They'll probably take theirs someday. But we like that views - nature - tide pools - blueberries up on the mountain sort of stuff. If somebody is looking for hot discos and hipster bars, maybe not so much.
This part of his question makes me think he won't be into it.

"We enjoy night life, good restaurants, and fun places to visit. Not really into the romantic quiet type places. "
Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
AlexL
Newbie Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Wicked Me too!

I'm riding from CT to ME on the 21st! Weather looks like it could be a bit chilly at this point. I'll be staying in Orland and Penobscot and doing some exploring, my family is from the Bangor area. I used roadtrippers.com for things to see and places to eat. Stopping at the Fisherman's Grill in Portland Monday for lunch.

I ride therefore I am.
AlexL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,320
Go up rt1 to Fundy Bay,,,,then New Brunswick to Nova Scotia!!!

Ride Maine Motorcycle Vacation Guide to Touring Maine Region ...

Great web site.They have outstanding info and free guides that are the best ive seen from any state.
Try to keep the ride'n to day light!!!!Its like Jurassic park when the sun goes down.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #12
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,582
I suggest you bring warm clothes.

Atlantic Brewing Co. on Mt Desert Island
Bartlett Winery in Gouldsboro
Ray's Seafood in Rye Beach NH
Red Hook Brewery In Portsmouth NH
Max BMW near Portsmouth
Kittery Trading Post

You should probably call ahead though, I imagine may places have off season limited hours of operation. Enjoy your trip, I love Maine.