ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #18871
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescent View Post
I too (after the fact) was thinking DO NOT GET OFF THE HIGHWAY and head to the GWB (even thought I knew the tolls were on the other side, I figured that was "close enough"). Though the chance of there being no traffic there was slim.

But then...two days later...it hit me: he could have just stayed on the West Side Highway as it ends at the Henry Hudson tolls (with LEO). I was actually shocked it took me (a NY'er) 48 hours of armchair refereeing to realize he was headed in the direction of the police, he just didn't realize it.
I didn't think of it either. And now that I think about it more, last time I went through that toll plaza it was unattended!!! So, um, YMMV.

But frankly I was thinking the car was such an effective bulldozer that he shoulda' just kept at it until he rolled over all of them.

Had any of us including him been better informed, the sweet strategy would actually have been to hop off at 125th, zip back onto the highway heading downtown and lead the fuckers right into midtown because that's where ALL the cops were.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #18872
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyp View Post
Earlier this year, mine was recovered and returned to me.

Had another bike stolen and got a call 2 or 3 years later from the NYPD to come pick it up as it was recently recovered. It was owned by the insurance company at that point so I don't know what happened to it.

I guess if neither the owner or insurance company (if insured for theft) want it, they can get rid of it any way they want to.

If the rider/bike are unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured and not traceable to anybody else via the VIN, they should probably destroy it but I don't believe that they can destroy someone's property without first attempting to return it.
I was referring to the non-stolen bikes. Obviously they try to return the stolen ones
Old 10-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #18873
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
I was referring to the non-stolen bikes. Obviously they try to return the stolen ones
It still makes no sense to me. For DUI/DWI there are some forfeiture laws, but even in those cases they can't seize the vehicle if it is owned by someone else (spouse, boy/girlfriend, anybody).

I don't think there are similar forfeiture laws for violating vehicle and traffic laws. If anybody shows up with a title for the vehicle and a van or trailer to legally get the bike out of impound, they will be getting the bike back.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #18874
pgh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...lowTwt_NYBrand

Not sure I should be shocked by this.
pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #18875
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyp View Post
It still makes no sense to me. For DUI/DWI there are some forfeiture laws, but even in those cases they can't seize the vehicle if it is owned by someone else (spouse, boy/girlfriend, anybody).

I don't think there are similar forfeiture laws for violating vehicle and traffic laws. If anybody shows up with a title for the vehicle and a van or trailer to legally get the bike out of impound, they will be getting the bike back.
I will spell it out. If you have a motorcycle seized by the NYPD the VIN will be checked. If it comes up stolen they will contact the rightful owner and return it. If the VIN is "clean" and you can produce a title in your name you can pay the fines and get it. If there is no title in your name it is gone. This includes buying a bike and getting the title but never putting it in your name. You show up with that, they don't care. If it is not a 100% legit vehicle you've lost it.
I know of a story fo a guy who bought a brand-new YZ450 under his girlfriends name. Never registered it (offroad use only) and got caught on it. They took it, and since there was no title transfer, only an MSO it was destroyed. Waste of a perfectly good Yamaha but it is one less wheelie machine on the roads.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #18876
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,487
Times article says the guy that turned himself in and was arrested, but no charges are being pressed against him. DA is pissed cops charged him, say it messes up the rest of the more serious charges against perps yet unknown.

More importantly, it says the Rover drivers wife called 911 4 times in 8 minutes. The cops couldn't respond in 8 minutes? As they say, "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away".

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/ny...=nyregion&_r=0

Speedo66 screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 07:38 AM
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #18877
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,784
"Thursday, upper Manhattan community members and local politicians will hold a press conference where they'll release footage of the bikers riding on sidewalks and overwhelming blocks with exhaust fumes, according to a statement."

overwhelming blocks with exhaust fumes

"Ms. Ng made at least four frantic calls to 911 in the span of about eight minutes, the police said."

why did they keep hanging up on her?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #18878
Speedo66
Transient

I heard they're going to confiscate all their motorcycles and ATV's and make them stunt with Citibikes. Much cleaner and quieter, and a moneymaker.

Basically, what it really says is the politicians knew about it, but didn't want to piss off their constituents. Now the SHTF, and they're "shocked, shocked I say" to find out this is happening in their district.

What a bunch of whores.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #18879
Speedo66
Transient

Stolen from the Westchester thread

New Range Rover setting

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5160

Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #18880
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
I will spell it out. If you have a motorcycle seized by the NYPD the VIN will be checked. If it comes up stolen they will contact the rightful owner and return it. If the VIN is "clean" and you can produce a title in your name you can pay the fines and get it. If there is no title in your name it is gone. This includes buying a bike and getting the title but never putting it in your name. You show up with that, they don't care. If it is not a 100% legit vehicle you've lost it.
I know of a story fo a guy who bought a brand-new YZ450 under his girlfriends name. Never registered it (offroad use only) and got caught on it. They took it, and since there was no title transfer, only an MSO it was destroyed. Waste of a perfectly good Yamaha but it is one less wheelie machine on the roads.

Thanks for clarifying your original post which was in regard to "all the stolen bikes that the NYPD recovers". I'm guessing that only a very small percentage of recovered stolen bikes get destroyed by the NYPD (probably after removing some of the higher quality farkles).

Not sure why your friend had to buy a bike that he never intended on registering in his girlfriend's name. Sounds like something that would wind up on Judge Judy.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #18881
hitmanlol
Cotor Myclist

Oddometer: 914
NYPD Towing today.

If you haven't been towed yet---

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/...rently_towing/
hitmanlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #18882
Speedo66
Transient

Speedo's Fall Fresh Air Fund Ride, Covered Bridges and Leaf Peeping

I'm going to do a fall ride through the foothills of the Berkshires next Thur, Oct. 10. You FF's are invited for some great riding and great fall color.

See my post here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....20&postcount=1 Respond on that post if you're interested in coming.

"OK city kids, welcome to Speedo's Fall Fresh Air Fund Ride. You say you've been breathing too much of that bad city air, haven't been riding enough? I've got just the antidote. Come join me for a visit to the Bridges of Litchfield County. No, Clint and Meryl won't be here, but we'll visit some covered bridges while riding fabulous roads through the fresh air of the Berkshire foothills during peak leaf peeping time. Hopefully, none of you FF's will pass out from too much oxygen.

The roads I've chosen will be curvy, colorful, scenic, you get the picture.

There will be dirt! But nothing any street bike can't handle. These are hard packed roads and in better condition than most of your potholed city streets. Not a lot, just enough to give the ride some flavor.

The top of the ride is the bike friendly Toymaker's Cafe in Falls Village CT, so save some room for their fabled Bacon or Cinnamon Butter Waffles.

Meet up location is the first gas station north of I-684 on Rt 22. That is, you take 684N in Westchester Co. to the end, it becomes Rt 22, first gas station (about 1/4 mile further) on right. Meet up time is Thur. Oct 10 at 9AM, kickstands up at 9:30. This location is approx. 1 1/4 hours north of the city, less depending on how adventurous you are with the throttle. Lots of ways to get to 684 including the West Side Hwy which becomes the Saw Mill, the Hutch, etc.

The leaf ride itself will be about 90 miles of handpicked great roads.

That's it. You've got one week to make your lame excuses why you won't be at work next Thur. Post if you're dragging your carbon monoxide infused ass up here. "

Old 10-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #18883
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Can we put together a charity page to help the Range Rover guy and his family? Something like "Responsible motorcyclists' fund for the victims of last week's attack"?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #18884
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh View Post
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...lowTwt_NYBrand
Not sure I should be shocked by this.
Well he IS an "aspiring rapper", after all.

I'm sure this joker (and a bunch of others) will wish that viral video never existed but from a legal standpoint and without trying to interpret too much into this, regarding Cruz, what I read is "Cruz's lawyer said that [he deliberately slowed down in front of the Range Rover] was not true."

They key word here will turn out to be "deliberately."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
the politicians knew about it, but didn't want to piss off their constituents. Now the SHTF, and they're "shocked, shocked I say" to find out this is happening in their district.
You really think these fuckers are the voting type?? Or am I mis-interpreting something?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #18885
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Can we put together a charity page to help the Range Rover guy and his family? Something like "Responsible motorcyclists' fund for the victims of last week's attack"?
He's the director of his own company and drives a $70k RR. I doubt he needs our money, but a support page might be a good idea, something along the lines of "Get well soon and don't group all of us in with those asshats".
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote