ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #18886
hitmanlol
Cotor Myclist

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Destroyed, last year it was a little over 800 bikes confiscated and destroyed.
any idea why?
hitmanlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #18887
hurielg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
You keep on going on about situational awareness and yet your expectations are still unreasonable and you admit it.

Speaking of situational awareness, usually the PANYNJ cops are on the EASTbound side of the bridge. You know, where the tolls are. There was also just as much traffic heading onto the bridge, so that wasn't gonna be any winning decision anyway. So much for your situational awareness, even after the fact.
OK. I'm sorry.
hurielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #18888
hitmanlol
Cotor Myclist

Quote:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1261

Looks like NYPD Operation Save Face has begun.
There was a protest for the guy that was paralyzed from 6-10. My guess is NYPD was preparing for the multiple rides over there.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #18889
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurielg View Post
OK. I'm sorry.
Okidoki.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #18890
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanlol View Post
There was a protest for the guy that was paralyzed from 6-10. My guess is NYPD was preparing for the multiple rides over there.
Perhaps. Glad I was riding away from that protest.

But for all the NYPD's effort, I saw NO bikes impounded in either place. I did however see lots of catch 'n releases, including my own.

So to me this is still pointless bullshit.

We needed this show of force on Sunday when the true outlaws needed to be caught. Today's worthless face-saving exercise is a slap in the face to the entire city, never mind it being a grave insult to the overwhelming majority of the area's motorcycle and scooter riders.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #18891
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanlol View Post
any idea why?
If they sold them it would be a cyclical cycle. Bikes would end up back there.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #18892
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
They sit in a storage lot until they're stolen again.
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/1947873...pd-storage-lot
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #18893
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 465
These days bikes impounded here get sent/donated to Africa. Prolly better than crushing them. My opinion is slowly changing regarding this but at first I thought there might have been a case of a rover douchebag getting snuffed by some other douchebags. At first it seems hardly big news worthy, no one even got shot or anything.
They do that shit in Bmore all the time (there was even an acclaimed film made about stunners here) and it used to be a regular thng here on Sundays. Mayor was made to look bad (like when they had open crack zones), so cops went to their neighborhoods and had a chat- now they stunt less downtown and in money neighborhoods. But it usually isn't a violent thing, a hassle, but not violent.
As long as mr. righteous citizen gives them some space and minds their own biz it usually is entertaining. I don't give a shit...as a matter of fact I usually get more nods and waves out of squids and stunters here than Beemer dorks or Harley bikers.
Sounds all that police state NYC needed was this shit. Now I'll be definitely driving there all the time. No more jay waking either.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #18894
hitmanlol
Cotor Myclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBandit View Post
They do that shit in Bmore all the time (there was even an acclaimed film made about stunners here) and it used to be a regular thng here on Sundays.
looks good! can't wait to see it.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #18895
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBandit View Post
No more jay waking either.

Jay walking is still tolerated.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #18896
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
If they sold them it would be a cyclical cycle. Bikes would end up back there.
Earlier this year, mine was recovered and returned to me.

Had another bike stolen and got a call 2 or 3 years later from the NYPD to come pick it up as it was recently recovered. It was owned by the insurance company at that point so I don't know what happened to it.

I guess if neither the owner or insurance company (if insured for theft) want it, they can get rid of it any way they want to.

If the rider/bike are unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured and not traceable to anybody else via the VIN, they should probably destroy it but I don't believe that they can destroy someone's property without first attempting to return it.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #18897
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
So much for your situational awareness, even after the fact.
I too (after the fact) was thinking DO NOT GET OFF THE HIGHWAY and head to the GWB (even thought I knew the tolls were on the other side, I figured that was "close enough"). Though the chance of there being no traffic there was slim.

But then...two days later...it hit me: he could have just stayed on the West Side Highway as it ends at the Henry Hudson tolls (with LEO). I was actually shocked it took me (a NY'er) 48 hours of armchair refereeing to realize he was headed in the direction of the police, he just didn't realize it.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #18898
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescent View Post
I too (after the fact) was thinking DO NOT GET OFF THE HIGHWAY and head to the GWB (even thought I knew the tolls were on the other side, I figured that was "close enough"). Though the chance of there being no traffic there was slim.

But then...two days later...it hit me: he could have just stayed on the West Side Highway as it ends at the Henry Hudson tolls (with LEO). I was actually shocked it took me (a NY'er) 48 hours of armchair refereeing to realize he was headed in the direction of the police, he just didn't realize it.
I didn't think of it either. And now that I think about it more, last time I went through that toll plaza it was unattended!!! So, um, YMMV.

But frankly I was thinking the car was such an effective bulldozer that he shoulda' just kept at it until he rolled over all of them.

Had any of us including him been better informed, the sweet strategy would actually have been to hop off at 125th, zip back onto the highway heading downtown and lead the fuckers right into midtown because that's where ALL the cops were.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #18899
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyp View Post
Earlier this year, mine was recovered and returned to me.

Had another bike stolen and got a call 2 or 3 years later from the NYPD to come pick it up as it was recently recovered. It was owned by the insurance company at that point so I don't know what happened to it.

I guess if neither the owner or insurance company (if insured for theft) want it, they can get rid of it any way they want to.

If the rider/bike are unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured and not traceable to anybody else via the VIN, they should probably destroy it but I don't believe that they can destroy someone's property without first attempting to return it.
I was referring to the non-stolen bikes. Obviously they try to return the stolen ones
Old 10-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #18900
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
I was referring to the non-stolen bikes. Obviously they try to return the stolen ones
It still makes no sense to me. For DUI/DWI there are some forfeiture laws, but even in those cases they can't seize the vehicle if it is owned by someone else (spouse, boy/girlfriend, anybody).

I don't think there are similar forfeiture laws for violating vehicle and traffic laws. If anybody shows up with a title for the vehicle and a van or trailer to legally get the bike out of impound, they will be getting the bike back.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote