Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #31
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
I heard something about that place, apparently it's all based on a True story but the guvmet isn't telling what actually happened or where the visitors are now, be careful there Sam very careful....

I'm doing some day trippin myself today, headed to Kona to get a new front knobby and some motor oil (never mind what brand, I don't want to go to the "Which Oil do you use Thread" purgatory ).

Take care Sam!
Mahalo Yes let us not go down the "which oil is better" route. Good to hear from the island Paradise, I keep tabs on you crazy lava rock hoppers from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Relatives?

Enyoying your trip from afar!

Thanks Admiral! wife informed me its 48 up there, that should feel good after sweating everyday for the last 2 weeks.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #32
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Hi'ya ADV land

I have returned home now had numerous to-do's to take care of, so I now have a little time to attempt to catch this Ride up.

I know it's been a long period of time since last posting but I was surrounded by family making it difficult to collect thoughts.

I believe I had left off in Vernal Utah, and as I had stated this was a journey of randomly picked roads... one's that seemed interesting to me.

I had ventured to Vernal via Bear Lake Idaho down the west side and on the highway 30 to Wyoming topping off the fuel tank in Kemmerer. I then proceeded on down 189 to "Carter Cutoff" or highway 412

leading me under I80 when I did a side trip over to Fort Bridger

There was much more to see at Ft Bridger than I allocated and decided to return here at a later date when I ride the Pony Express trail (still in the works, done Utah and Nevada) rode on down to Manila Utah on 414/43 some GREAT scenery along this route

and so that brings me Vernal

Stayed at the KOA and the next morning stopped off at the local Dinosaur Museum wondering around for a little over an hour. It was right after Labor Day weekend so the place was pretty quite.

I would hate to be standing here when it cut loose

Well that was interesting, proceeded to head on out of town on highway 40 to Dinosaur Colorado when I turned onto highway 64 leading me to Rangely Colo which as I approached could tell this is a Company Town... currently Chevron.

I decided to stop at the local museum and nice lady curator stumble all over herself to give me a personal narrative of the history. It was once know for it's sweet oil and thus sprung up as a oil town in the late 30's. During the WW II it supplied 90 percent of the oil produced to the US Navy for it's operations.

The old school built back in 1909

She said they use to just chain prisoners to a large tree but when the town incorporated in the 30's they were mandated to have a jail, so, they purchased an old brig from a decommissioned navel ship and had it brought in (cheaper than building one)

This little guy is an icon from the Fremont Indians found on numerous petroglyphs in the region know as the "Mudman"

I exited Rangely south on highway 139 a 90 mile long road of just pure bliss, dotted with only a couple of ranches along the way and numerous dirt roads leading to petroglyphs all along the way

I finally exited via an alluvial slope taking me to the interstate and Grand Junction. Fueled up and headed out on Colo 141 Oh MY GOD what a wonderful section of pavement I was so entertained at the scenery and lack of traffic

I really tried to stop more on this AWESOME road for pictures, but the lack of traffic, etc, I just couldn't let go of the throttle if'in you know what I mean.

There was a section of 141 going to 491 just out of Dove Creek that well my throttle just ummmm never mind This let me to Cortez

More to come.......

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 10:42 AM
Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,460
Glad to know you made it home.
The pics are great, thanks for posting.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,551
Nice photos and interesting stuff. I like Mudman
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #35
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Glad to know you made it home.
The pics are great, thanks for posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Nice photos and interesting stuff. I like Mudman
Thanks Sherry, Your not going to believe it but I just spent 20 minutes writing and posting pictures for this RR and it just crashed... poof! I'll try again later kinda friggin computers

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #36
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
This little guy is an icon from the Fremont Indians found on numerous petroglyphs in the region know as the "Mudman"

I like the mudman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
Thanks Sherry, Your not going to believe it but I just spent 20 minutes writing and posting pictures for this RR and it just crashed... poof! I'll try again later kinda friggin computers
ugh, I feel your pain!
Even after doing something like 200 pages worth of RRs, I still lose posts on occasion - it SUCKS.

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #37
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
I like the mudman!

ugh, I feel your pain!
Even after doing something like 200 pages worth of RRs, I still lose posts on occasion - it SUCKS.

Yea Sucks big time when you put a lot of time and effort into it than POOF!. Anyway here I go again...........

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #38
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

So after a wonderful ride I ended up in Cortez Colo and was heading to the KOA when I stumbled onto a nice affordable Motel (she only charged me 43 for the night) . Next morning I headed out to go visit something that's been on my bucket list for a long time Mesa Verde National Park been wanting to see the cliff village.

Rode out and up to a gate paid my 5 bucks and did the very enjoyable 20 mile ride in.

I thought I would be able to walk around but I was told I needed to buy a ticket outside the park at the visitor station ... Oh well I just took pictures and called good

Funny thing is everyone around me were from Europe, I heard French, German, Italian and some other sounded sorta eastern European. They came halfway around the world for a vacation and it took me over 50 years to get here and it's more or less my backyard.

I got a zoom lens I don't need no sticking tour ticket

across the canyon

look like ants crawling around down there

I like this shot the best. See those dark clouds...... they came in pretty quick from the south; a precursor to things to come for Colorado. It started sprinkling

started heading back out of the park

By the time I reached the highway it was late afternoon and raining nicely now so I headed back to the motel and stayed another night, figuring the rain will taper off in the morning...................... well that didn't pan out. Needless to say I took off in the rain on 160 towards Pagosa Springs.

I had originally intended to head to the 4 corners and then to Canyon De Chelly in Arizona but the Rains were coming up from that direction. No big deal another time

I think it's worth it to go check it out OH, and no admission

Here's a link to Canyon De Chelly IMAGES

Well I must say even on pavement albeit back roads it's a great ride. Into New Mexico on highway 84

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 05:55 PM Reason: proofing
Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #39
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

I finally got ahead of the rain between Durango and Pagosa Springs, where I fueled up and turn south onto 84 into New Mexico. I liked highway 160 but heading down 84 was fantastic, numerous sweepers and smooth as silk pavement not to mention the scenery, but! this leads me to the states speed limits. Some on.... REALLY...... 55 miles per hour posted! REALLY!!!

Scenery did a drastic change out of Santa Fe (the land of Eco Homes) Started raining again as I headed down 285 where I finally called it quits in Carrizozo for the night. found another affordable motel for the night

Rain all night and into the morning

Sure happy I had good rain gear

Now the reason I went this way was for nostalgic, as I use to run around up in this area back in the 70's while stationed down in El Paso ( I was dating a gal from Tularosa but that's a beer drinking story) So, remember that Smoky the Bear was buried in Capitan just down the road. Yes the original Smoky died in 1976. Had a wonderful breakfast at the Smoky Bear Restaurant and man this town sure has changed

Last time I saw the grave there was no museum and just a lump of dirt with a placard..... my how times change, I actually had to pay to see what was once free to the public. OH Well Progress.

Headed on down the Lincoln where Billy the Kid had broken out of the county jail.

Humm, forgot to upload those pictures. OK intermission.

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #40
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Nice update Sam.
Were you in the Herd, I mean the 3rd Cav? I was there @Bliss in 72-74
ADA, 16F 16P
Sorry, carry on.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #41
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Nice update Sam.
ADA, 16F 16P
Sorry, carry on.
Yup! "Brave Rifles" 75-79 H co 2/3 72-75 3ID Germany

Still working on those pictures

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #42
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Nice update Sam.
ADA, 16F 16P
Sorry, carry on.

ADA So you were over there on the other side of base with the Luftwaffe and those Iranians and I believe the Israelis Must have been interesting Mister Hawk man

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #43
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Hey Sam, you just can't stay out of NM can you? It is a great state full of whacky people. I was buzzing around in Iowa while you were in NM and CO. IA is a lot more scenic than I thought it was. Madison co has really neat gravel roads and covered bridges. Glad you are having a great time. Wish I could take pictures that nice . you have a great nack for it. Get back down to So. NM and see us again some winter. Happy Travels...
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #44
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Started in Quads (guns) then Chapparal, opposite side from all the Luftwaffe and Iranians, guess the Iranians will be our friends AGAIN??

Lived out at Biggs enjoyed the luxury that the Air Force guys were used to. Even there "hand me downs" were nicer than stuff on the main post.
I heard they tore most of it down and made an NCO Academy.

Sometimes I think about going back for a visit.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #45
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Downtown Lincoln NM

Now this town hasn't changed much at all, courthouse still looking good

Spent about an hour wondering around

Well that was an interesting flash back, and so it is onward to Roswell

All I can say is that's an hour of my life and 5 bucks I'll never get back

I had a really hard time to keep from laughing out loud...

... but I can say this; "Be there done that" even thought about the T-shirt... NOT.

Onward to Texas

Aldous Huxley