ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #16
BUGRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Answer is yes to all
BUGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #17
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
This will be my fourth trip down in the last 5 years & always have a good time. My riding buddy will not camp so we are moteling it at a Day's Inn just outside I-459 on Hwy 280. I've stayed at this place in the past...it's "OK" and the price is right, but traffic on 280 is a damn nightmare. Any locals here able to recommend something else?

Hope to drop by the campground and meet a few inmates.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Moto-Kafe OP
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
This will be my fourth trip down in the last 5 years & always have a good time. My riding buddy will not camp so we are moteling it at a Day's Inn just outside I-459 on Hwy 280. I've stayed at this place in the past...it's "OK" and the price is right, but traffic on 280 is a damn nightmare. Any locals here able to recommend something else?

Wayward..........you are correct, 280 traffic bites. I live 6 miles from the "Colon-aid" at 459. You could try The Hampton Inn at Lee Branch (just behind the Carmike 15 theaters)........further south on 280, right before you "go up Double-Oak Mtn". You can get to Barber's the back way by taking hiway 119, then Grants Mill Road, hang a right onto Rex Lake Road which is the road Barber is located on......and it will allow you to stay away from 280 pretty much. The good part about 280 is that it has plenty of eateries/nightlife.....and it's higher-income housing out there, which keeps the riff-raff away. On the brightside.......I believe the Day's Inn is near "The Titlted Kilt", right???
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post

Couple of nice hotels near Liberty Park.

Also look up Sicard Hollow Rd, to Rex Lake Rd, for a fun route to Barber.
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,736
Ill be there, Ill be the fat guy on the black bike.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

@Mark444 & Custmmc....thanks for the suggestions on lodging. I'll try to make some time to check them out. I have used all of the routes you mentioned in the past. Usually leave the hotel & take Blue Lake Rd. (I think) to Sicard Hollow etc. Nice little ride for sure.

Days Inn is directly across the street from Logan's Roadhouse. I remember an Irish pub kind of next door...but the Tilted Kilt doesn't ring a bell. Maybe I should make an effort to find it? We are just a couple of old country boys from Kentucky...do they have a pool table?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #22
Moto-Kafe OP
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 464
[QUOTE=WaywardSon;22476227Days Inn is directly across the street from Logan's Roadhouse. I remember an Irish pub kind of next door...but the Tilted Kilt doesn't ring a bell. Maybe I should make an effort to find it? We are just a couple of old country boys from Kentucky...do they have a pool table?[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha..........The Tilted Kilt is on Hiway 280, approximately 1/2 mile from the I-459/280 Interchange, heading east (towards Logans). No pool tables.........think: an upscale Hooters!!! And no, it's not a strip club.........just a sports bar/grill with nice local attractions....... Who said there are no "peaks" in Alabama.......
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #23
deaconjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Wayward..........you are correct, 280 traffic bites. I live 6 miles from the "Colon-aid" at 459. You could try The Hampton Inn at Lee Branch (just behind the Carmike 15 theaters)........further south on 280, right before you "go up Double-Oak Mtn". You can get to Barber's the back way by taking hiway 119, then Grants Mill Road, hang a right onto Rex Lake Road which is the road Barber is located on......and it will allow you to stay away from 280 pretty much. The good part about 280 is that it has plenty of eateries/nightlife.....and it's higher-income housing out there, which keeps the riff-raff away. On the brightside.......I believe the Day's Inn is near "The Titlted Kilt", right???
Thats the way to go. We stay at a La Quinta INN 2 or 3 blocks from this intersection and don't have to contend with 280 that much. The La Quinta is also adjacent to the Irish Pub mentioned in another post - very convenient.
2000 KX 250
deaconjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #24
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Ha ha ha..........The Tilted Kilt is on Hiway 280, approximately 1/2 mile from the I-459/280 Interchange, heading east (towards Logans). No pool tables.........think: an upscale Hooters!!! And no, it's not a strip club.........just a sports bar/grill with nice local attractions....... Who said there are no "peaks" in Alabama.......
Sounds like a destination to me...I'll check it out! And was kidding about the pool table...didn't much figure I'd find one there. That's OK as it eliminates 50% of the opportunity for a fight to break out. Guess I'll just have to watch 'em fight over the pussy instead
Old 10-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #25
warriorcole
n00b sch00b

Oddometer: 745
Anybody gets left out in the cold, I may have room for a tent or two. I am about a mile from Barbers. Looking forward to the festival.
warriorcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #26
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
The family and I will be camping in Camper lot B I think. At least Friday through Sunday. I have been to the track and museum but never the festival. I have a couple of questions for the experienced. I have asked a couple of them before but am still unclear.

During the show, can I ride a motorcycle around the campground and to the other places on site (swap meet, museum, track and such?)

Can I put a for sale sign on a motorcycle that isn't in the auction or swap meet?

Could I leave some cool parts on my trailer in the campground in hopes of snagging a buyer?

Has anyone done the hare scrambles course before? Are there any big hills on the course?

Can I sit outside my motorhome and drink beer at night?
If you have Vendor privs, you may be able to ride around, but it is freaking crowded.

As for a "For Sale" sign, sure.

If you have cool enough parts, if you haul 'em out, they will come.

And yes, you can enjoy any beverage you like outside your trailer. If you play music at 100db or act like foolish teenagers, you may get a visit from the paid po-po.

Most of all, it's sensory overload for motorcyclist.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #27
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
The family and I will be camping in Camper lot B I think. At least Friday through Sunday. I have been to the track and museum but never the festival. I have a couple of questions for the experienced. I have asked a couple of them before but am still unclear.

During the show, can I ride a motorcycle around the campground and to the other places on site (swap meet, museum, track and such?)

Can I put a for sale sign on a motorcycle that isn't in the auction or swap meet?

Could I leave some cool parts on my trailer in the campground in hopes of snagging a buyer?

Has anyone done the hare scrambles course before? Are there any big hills on the course?

Hay Mini

a lot of us from P-Cola will be up there on Friday for the weekend, and after headed up to Tn.-NC afterword.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #28
Jhammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
This is my 5th trip there it is well worth the drive form Joplin,Missouri!
Jhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #29
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,576
Riding down from PA...leaving Wednesday morning and taking the scenic route down. Some BRP and other two lanes, trying to stay of the slab as much as possible. This will be my third visit.

My brother lives about 20 minutes away near Springville so I have the accommodations covered

As someone said...it's sensory overload
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:

Yes you can ride your bike around the perimeter road, the campground area, and the parking paddock areas. You can not ride it in the swap meet area unless you have a vendor pass/spot.

Yes you can have a sign on it. Pretty common to see bikes with for sale signs on them parked along the road. Lots of traffic will see it. Just be sure to provide a cell phone number with area code that you can answer there.

Yes you can leave some parts near your camper/trailer, as long as you are subtle about it and do not have an entire trailer worth of stuff out there. Several years folks have had parts in the campground. I bought a Ducati Tank off a fellow camped across from me a couple years ago.

Technically they say no glass bottles like pretty much every campground in existence but I have never seen that enforced and have had bottled beer before. Heck some groups bring a keg with them and have draft beer all weekend. Not much problem with over drinking and everything quiets down at a reasonable time normally. For the most part the crowd is mature enthusiasts.