ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #31
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlstults View Post
I am on my third Zumo 550. They suck! The first time it falled, I was in Mexico. When I got home I called Garmin and they told me it was 2 months out of warranty and that cost me $150 for a refurbished unit. I lost all me routes. Started over again with unit #2 and 7 months later it falled. Now on my third unit, it shuts down, locks up and is generally worthless as a GPS. Usually I can plug in to my computer or the wall charger and get things going again. Today, nothing works. No Nothing. I'm sick of having to pay $150 for a used refurbished units that has falled some one else. Is there a better GPS out there? Oh yes, I have also had to replace the motorcycle cradle. I just thought it cost a lot with the original purchase. It seems you just keep paying Garmin as long as you own a zumo.
Lost in Texas
They do suck! Mine is now a very expensive door stop. I had the same issue as you and many others. Garmin wanted 250.00 GBP to swap it for a recon. Their customer service is shite too. Never ever again. I'm back to paper maps again now and I carry an Iphone with MotionX if I really need GPS.

It's the worst piece of tech, from the crappiest company I have ever bought.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #32
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
Besides the pins on the cradle, has anyone had issues with the contacts on the bottom of the Zumo wearing through and not allowing a complete circuit? Several of my contacts on the bottom of the Zumo appear as if the cradle pins have been erroding them which may lead to poor or intermitent connetion... Can they be fixed without going the re-furb route?
Mine corroded to the point of no return, Canadian Zumo repair depot wants $375 flat rate for any repair, shipping both ways not included

So I took it apart but it looks next to impossible to replace the contacts at home. My wife shelled out a lot of money for this turd that only lasted 3 years of partial use.

My fix is to stay away from expensive Garmins.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #33
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Mine corroded to the point of no return, Canadian Zumo repair depot wants $375 flat rate for any repair, shipping both ways not included .
That doesn't make sense. Garmin's 'Out of Warranty' web page says the flat rate repair cost for a 550 or 660 for that matter is $150 and you usually only pay shipping one way, in my experience with Raytech, the Canada repair depot.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #34
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That doesn't make sense. Garmin's 'Out of Warranty' web page says the flat rate repair cost for a 550 or 660 for that matter is $150 and you usually only pay shipping one way, in my experience with Raytech, the Canada repair depot.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
Great link!!! takes me to the American repair depot but thats fine with me.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #35
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Mine was replaced with a refurb for $150 and all issues have been solved. I experienced exception customer service with expedited air return shipping to get the unit back to me for a ride I had scheduled. The upgraded air shipping was free from Garmin.
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #36
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
I find it's a good idea to phone Garmin and talk to a rep; they will usually tell you to go to RayTech but sometimes they'll speed the process from their end with an authorization you can give to RayTech.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #37
thecanoeguy
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,846
i found this post to here on google because I am having the same trouble with my zumo 500 ,tried the reboot ,pulled the battery ,I am going to try the usb charge overnight , the charger cradle get one positive light on my little test light ,but that's it, my unit still works fine , I charged it overnight on my cig lighter charger ,but because the light on the screen stayed on all night it actually flattened my bike battery ,and you cant charge it on usb while riding as it wont fit in the cradle and it wont let you use it anyways while charging on usb
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #38
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Garmin 550 Won't Power Up in Motorcycle Cradle

So, I'm on my second Garmin 550 with the exact same problems as everyone else is having. It will power up in the vehicle cradle, but not in the motorcycle cradle.

I sent the original back to Garmin and they charged me $150 for a refurb unit. It worked for about a week and now the same problem. I even spent $50 to get a new motorcycle cradle thinking that maybe the cradle is bad.

So, here's what I think. There must be a power supply issue somewhere on the in inside of all these failing 550's. The common denominator in all the failures written here is that the unit will power on and charge in everything EXCEPT the motorcycle cradles. So, either the motorcycle cradles themselves are all defective, or the firmware inside the units is. Bottom line...don't buy a Garmin 550, they're nothing but trouble.
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #39
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,737
I've had very good service with mine. Only real problem I've ever had is the battery chose to die just as I was trying to find a motel in rush hour traffic in a city I didn't know. That was fun.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #40
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Mini crewed up too. 5 days before I leave for my trip.

Tried the rest witht the buttons and alos tried the mini USB but no luck.

Gonna tryin removing the battery anbd hopefuly that will work.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #41
dervish
stumped

Oddometer: 78
just reset mine

I had mine (550) poop out. The battery was flat and while it was in the cradle, it would get to the 'warning' screen and then go black. I called garmin and they told me to press on the bottom right of the touch screen (fairly hard) and then press the power button while keeping pressure on the lower right hand corner of the touch screen until a white screen popped up asking me if I wanted to reset the system. Of course I did since it was useless otherwise. It works fine now. It will wipe out everything you have but otherwise, what's the point of having it. So... that's my experience.

It was reset and the customer service lady was great. Of course, I live 8 minutes from them and that's too close for a disgruntled consumer so they may have been extra nice.
dervish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #42
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Mini crewed up too. 5 days before I leave for my trip.

Tried the rest witht the buttons and alos tried the mini USB but no luck.

Gonna tryin removing the battery anbd hopefuly that will work.

That worked

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #43
DeDeuce
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I had the same problem and determined that it was not the cradle. Tried charging through the USB on computer - no luck. Tried zoom and power reset - no luck. Removed battery as suggested - love you guys! I'm leaving on a 30 day trip in less than two weeks and did not need this problem right now! Thanks to all on this forum!
DeDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #44
mymotovation
OORAH

Oddometer: 3
Thank you for the assistance.

You guys rock!!! The wife and I are leaving in two days for a ride thru Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Removing the battery did the trick for me as well.
mymotovation is offline   Reply With Quote