ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #2371
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTomKx View Post
Can I turn off the SAS and leave the hardware in place?
I'm very interested in the response to your question.
I've read about the SAS a few times in the past and I *think* there was no reason to turn it off, or at least I don't remember a really good reason.
Is there any?

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #2372
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
I'm very interested in the response to your question.
I've read about the SAS a few times in the past and I *think* there was no reason to turn it off, or at least I don't remember a really good reason.
Is there any?
From one of the Duke forum
http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke...ystem-sas.html

According to the spares manual, the SAS appears to consist of a solenoid connected across a hose connecting the SAS cover (10 o’clock exit) on the valve cover to the airbox (LHS when sat on the bike). The SAS helps the Duke meet emission standards by providing additional air, pulled from the airbox, to oxidize unburned fuel in the exhaust in presence of a catalytic converter. It is said that if the Duke has an exhaust without catalytic converter, the SAS will not fulfil it function as it was designed and hence can be disabled and eliminated.

Another thing that has popped up on the SMT forum is that you exhaust is going to be hotter with the SAS, and you run the risk of burning the packing material found in a lot of aftermarket mufflers.
mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #2373
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Have they confirmed that the stepper motor on the throttle body is causing the issue?

If so, you don't to replace the whole assembly. Just the stepper. Have them confirm it before you pull the trigger and report here if you'd like. By what you are describing, it does sound like a stepper motor issue.
A 205 from me v

My last '08 990 started the high erratic idle after 20, 000 miles.
It would blast up to 4,000 settling down after a while.
It liked to hang high during decel, making the bike almost unrideable.
I had two '08 990's at the time and first switched the ecu's to no avail. then switched the TB's, which solved the issue.
But they went back on the 990 they came off of.

I finally had success by making slight adjustments to the actuating shaft
on the bottom of the stepper motor. IIRC it has a lock nut and the shaft
is threaded.
I'd guess I had the TB's off that bike 10 times.

Sold that bike to a local friend at 40,000 + miles and just put a CPR filter on it.
Needless to say I was well acquainted with the TB removal.
Now the idle seems to be hanging slightly again, so I'll be trouble
shooting that soon.
Man! the CPR or Sportinwood filter systems really stream line the whole
messing with the TB's deal.

Twist it , Max
Old 09-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #2374
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 494
Fellows,

Been watching this thread a long time, bought the cable, just purchased a new Windows computer with win 8.

I downloaded TuneECu but need more detailed instructions. Is there any help for a noob with win 8 here.

Error when I click on TuneECU

The program can't start because TuneLibrary.dll is missing!!!

Thanks it will be a great relief to get this going.
KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #2375
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Me too. Having problems connecting and the 1 time I did connect, TUNE ECU showed errors with MAP sensors (bad ground/short circuit) and with TPS. I have been tracing wires, cleaning and checking connections. TUNE ECU is locking up and won't consistently connect. Win 8. I was never able to complete the driver install.....

HELP!!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #2376
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I may be wrong here but going by your description if the SAS solenoid is disabled it would not let air into the exhaust.

Removing the SAS system on sport bikes usually requires block off plates or flipping the reed valves so they do not open anymore. Would that be the same on the 990?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #2377
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Thanks for all the great information,

Does anybody know if KTM updated the map for the 2013 Baja? People are reporting better mapping, don't know if it is because they just bought the bike and might be a little biased, or if there has been improvement.

Many people have said that the 2010 models did not have fueling issues but my 2010 990A does lol. I am using the 2012 990r map in mine and it is better than what I had but could be much better IMO.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #2378
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The EU maps are for Europe and the US are for the USA. I've found very little difference in the way they run.

What bike do you have? This can help zero in on the best map.

For the 07-08's Adventures, the latest US map is the best for stock> ending >>>US0704501 It still has a wild ign map that creates a 'sensitive' throttle up to 4k and a soggy throttle 4-5k. Best mileage though. If the bike is tuned up to be spot-on, I've had this map work very well.

If you have slip-on mufflers (so no cats), any year, try the Acropovic optional maps, BUT use TuneECU to turn ON the O2 sensors for mileage.

For the 09-up Adv's with no cats, use the PowerTripp maps, at the end of the list provided with TuneECU. One is for 2-2 slip-ons, one for 2-1 slip-ons. The are the best starting point for these bikes.

If you've pulled the SAS or the Charcoal cannister, turn these off in TuneECU, always leave the O2 sensors turned ON.
To report back. Yesterday I tried the Akra maps and the bike was running better. Rode about 20 miles and returned home. Decided to load the PowerTripp map as you recommended and went for a spin. the bike feels amazing. Smooth throttle and the power is there. I'm very happy and I hope it stays this way.

Thanks Zuber! I owe you a brew
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #2379
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,886
PowerTripp is the real hero here.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #2380
outbacktaz
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
I have a stock 2007 ktm 990 adventure and I'm wanting to find the best map for smoothing out the abrupt on/off feeling. My bike also has a bit of a hesitation sometimes right when I throttle on. I'm thinking about trying this map KM601US0704501Map

Any input or advice?

Also, when I downloaded tune ecu it loads up in the triumph interface. Will it change to ktm once I connect it to the bike or is there a setting I'm not seeing?
To answer your last question, yes, as soon as the program feels it's plugged into a KTM, it will revert back to a KTM supported screen...
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #2381
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTomKx View Post
I may be wrong here but going by your description if the SAS solenoid is disabled it would not let air into the exhaust.

Removing the SAS system on sport bikes usually requires block off plates or flipping the reed valves so they do not open anymore. Would that be the same on the 990?
Yes to block off plates. Several people make them including CJ.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #2382
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Thanks for all the great information,

Does anybody know if KTM updated the map for the 2013 Baja? People are reporting better mapping, don't know if it is because they just bought the bike and might be a little biased, or if there has been improvement.

Many people have said that the 2010 models did not have fueling issues but my 2010 990A does lol. I am using the 2012 990r map in mine and it is better than what I had but could be much better IMO.
I put the 2012r map into my 2009 non-R. Ditto that it could be better. (YMMV). It gave the bike more of a crackle from my fairly open 2-1, probably increased the top end power...didn't really notice too much...and if anything increased my fuel economy (from ~41-~43 mpg)...but the hunting at 3500-4500 rpm came back again a little. The Remus had mostly taken that rough running away without changing the map at all. I will try the Powertripp 2-1 map next and report back. I have the CPR system ready to fit. This has the potential of being awesome from what I have read and seen on dyno charts, but as I am not a power-chaser the biggest plus for me might be the ability to access the air filter with removing one screw.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #2383
mschviuz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacktaz View Post
To answer your last question, yes, as soon as the program feels it's plugged into a KTM, it will revert back to a KTM supported screen...

Got it thanks! I've been playing around with it. Setting tps, syncing tb's and removed secondary butterflies, etc. Very useful program
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #2384
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer: 47
remember to reset after service

hi!
remember to reset after service...

I did 60000 km service, valves were all .20 mm in rear cyl. (ou yes, they can get bigger, too), front one was OK.
spark plugs .82, new ones about .75 mm;

after service, started motor, ok-ish - but no idle when driving, just stalling - so, what now, what did I break???

well, hooked up to tuneecu, did 'reset adaptation', and voila! beast is back and kicking again, felt the stone felling off of my heart, as we say it here.

so, always reset adaptation after service, and then that 15 min. idling.

L

Loui€ screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 04:47 AM
Loui€ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #2385
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Not realy a tunecu question but I thought maybe one of you guys might be able to enlighten me on how the fueling system "thinks"
when I am hooked up to tunecu and the bike is idling ,the injection pulse for the front cylinder drifts higher in comparision to the rear cylinder, which stays constant. at the same time I see a drop in the front cylinder O2 sensor volts to near zero. the bike then farts and every thing starts over in about a 30 second loop.
So my question is what controls the front cylinders fueling pulse independently from the rear? I have put in new O2 sensors and there is no broken wires. I have had the injectors cleaned. I have set the TPS to its correct value and done a couple of 15 minute resets.
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote