ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Will be down again this year, camping in lot C again as well.

Thinking about just doing the trailer thing this year since my riding partner is on a WR250R this time around. Not the best thing for 400 mile days.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #32
Reddane
Circling pi

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
Will be down again this year, camping in lot C again as well.

Thinking about just doing the trailer thing this year since my riding partner is on a WR250R this time around. Not the best thing for 400 mile days.
Hey bud,

Be sure to drop me a line so we can go demolish some tasty beer.

Hans
Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #33
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddane View Post
Hey bud,

Hans

What's the 20 on the tasty beer?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #34
Reddane
Circling pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Heya!

Check this out:

http://www.hopcitybeer.com/

Massive selection of good beers and they change out the taps for new stuff just about every day. Plus its in driving distance of good restaurants in Bham and not that far back to Barber area.

FWIW, I live about 5 miles from Barber (one exit up) and would be happy to put a group together for dinner if anyone is interested. You guys will have to excuse me though because I'm bikeless at the moment. Doesn't mean that I've forgotten all of the good riding roads in the area.

Cheers!,

Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #35
Reddane
Circling pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc View Post
Couple of nice hotels near Liberty Park.

Also look up Sicard Hollow Rd, to Rex Lake Rd, for a fun route to Barber.
Heads up guys, Sicard Hollow is full of potholes. It's the result of construction of McHomes on the road (heavy trucks). The holes are especially bad just as you enter into the twisties.

If you do take it be extremely careful. With some luck they will have it patched up in time. But don't hold your breath on it. Just wanted to give everyone a warning. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #36
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Quote:
Hey bud,

Hans
Will do
Old 10-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #37
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Quote:
Also there is Good People in Birmingham but they have limited tour hours. Tap room is open 7 days a week though.

If you are coming or going north up I-65 there is Blue Pants Brewing in Madison and Straight to Ale in Huntsville. All three are making really good beer especially Straight to Ale.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #38
Reddane
Circling pi

redacted.

Reddane screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 06:51 PM
Reddane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #39
Moto-Kafe OP
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 476
Just a clarification to a question about riding your bike around the complex: you can ride your street legal motorcycle around the Perimeter Road as long as you wear a helmet and have a street legal tag. Not sure about an MX bike with a tag slapped on it......you may get "detained". I totally agree with the rules......leave kids running up and down the grassy hills/perimeter road on dirt bikes to other events elsewhere, not this one. Also, only "Barber Rented" golf carts are allowed on the premises......no dogs allowed (there is an outfit closeby where you can board your pets).......no fires on the ground (I believe portable metal firepits are OK??).......nice shower/RR facilities over near the Swap Meet area. Bring a folding chair and/or blanket as there are very little grandstand seating anywhere.
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #40
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,570
Quote:
Heya!

Check this out:

http://www.hopcitybeer.com/

Massive selection of good beers and they change out the taps for new stuff just about every day. Plus its in driving distance of good restaurants in Bham and not that far back to Barber area.

FWIW, I live about 5 miles from Barber (one exit up) and would be happy to put a group together for dinner if anyone is interested. You guys will have to excuse me though because I'm bikeless at the moment. Doesn't mean that I've forgotten all of the good riding roads in the area.

Cheers!,

I'll be staying at my brother's house near Springville. I'm sure I can find it if Hops are involved
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #41
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Just a clarification to a question about riding your bike around the complex: you can ride your street legal motorcycle around the Perimeter Road as long as you wear a helmet and have a street legal tag.
Oh yes good point. Helmets are required and the vehicle must be street legal and tagged. They will stop you if you are riding without a lid.

Quote:
no fires on the ground (I believe portable metal firepits are OK??).......
Yes free standing metal firepits are allowed. Plan on packing your coal and ash out in something. There are trash cans provided but no fire safe metal canisters for ash.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #42
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,282
Quote:
I'll be staying at my brother's house near Springville. I'm sure I can find it if Hops are involved
I'm just up the road from your Brother's place. He knows where it is.

Cantina is just around the corner from Hop City. However, you may be find it best not to go Saturday evening, there's an event called Cask & Drum taking place nearby. I'd suspect parking and access will be a problem.

Also, Motus is having a bike night in Lakeview, but I'd guess if you are on a bike, parking shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #43
warriorcole
n00b sch00b

Oddometer: 656
Just laid in a new load of firewood for the fire pit out back. If I end up with a decent crowd, will probably fire up the grill on Saturday night. If anyone wants to stop by for a cold one some food instead of fighting the the crowds downtown, PM me for updates and directions. I am located right behind Barbers. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
warriorcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #44
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
Yes you can ride your bike around the perimeter road, the campground area, and the parking paddock areas. You can not ride it in the swap meet area unless you have a vendor pass/spot.

Yes you can have a sign on it. Pretty common to see bikes with for sale signs on them parked along the road. Lots of traffic will see it. Just be sure to provide a cell phone number with area code that you can answer there.

Yes you can leave some parts near your camper/trailer, as long as you are subtle about it and do not have an entire trailer worth of stuff out there. Several years folks have had parts in the campground. I bought a Ducati Tank off a fellow camped across from me a couple years ago.
Quote:
Just a clarification to a question about riding your bike around the complex: you can ride your street legal motorcycle around the Perimeter Road as long as you wear a helmet and have a street legal tag. Not sure about an MX bike with a tag slapped on it......you may get "detained". I totally agree with the rules......leave kids running up and down the grassy hills/perimeter road on dirt bikes to other events elsewhere, not this one. Also, only "Barber Rented" golf carts are allowed on the premises......no dogs allowed (there is an outfit closeby where you can board your pets).......no fires on the ground (I believe portable metal firepits are OK??).......nice shower/RR facilities over near the Swap Meet area. Bring a folding chair and/or blanket as there are very little grandstand seating anywhere.
I appreciate the clarification. I had planned to bring some mini bikes to hopefully sell but I think I will change my strategy a bit. I finally found some camping rules Friday and found out I can't bring my dog so wife and child will also be staying home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestrider View Post
Hay Mini

a lot of us from P-Cola will be up there on Friday for the weekend, and after headed up to Tn.-NC afterword.
I will be there all weekend, call me 901 494 2645.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #45
Moto-Kafe OP
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
I appreciate the clarification. I had planned to bring some mini bikes to hopefully sell but I think I will change my strategy a bit.
Mini.........it's perfectly OK to sell your mini's inside the campground or out of the back of your truck wherever it's parked........but I wouldn't park a whole trailerload of parts and skeleton bikes. And you could always push a "mini" to an area where lots of folks will be walking.......put a For Sale sign on it with a cell phone number. I would just be alittle hesitant about leaving it there all day unless it's chained up somehow? If you know anyone in the Swap Meet area, they might let you display them there. I would offer, but my space is already over-flowing with buddies' bikes for sale......
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote