User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Memories are so ridiculously dense and inexpensive these days.

.gpx is a very space inefficient way of storing waypoint data and
A waypoint.gpx file with over 600 waypoints is only 336KB (*kilo*bytes, not megabytes).

I would suggest there are order of magnitudes more memory than the 336KB and that the memory being finite has no relevance to loading a waypoint file this size - there would be no reason for "swapping".

Moving a file that size from Flash to RAM would probably take well under 1ms, even on a very slow and busy memory bus. Heck you could turn it into a binary file while moving it and make it *much* smaller and improve access time if any of this were an issue.

It's very hard for me to understand how a 600 waypoint file would give the unit any grief whatsoever. Even a 7000 waypoint shouldn't although it wouldn't surprise me at all if the s/w architects never envisioned that someone would use that large a waypoint file. Sort of a "640 K[B of RAM] ought to be enough for anyone"...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Memories are so ridiculously dense and inexpensive these days.

.gpx is a very space inefficient way of storing waypoint data and
A waypoint.gpx file with over 600 waypoints is only 336KB (*kilo*bytes, not megabytes).

I would suggest there are order of magnitudes more memory than the 336KB and that the memory being finite has no relevance to loading a waypoint file this size - there would be no reason for "swapping".

Moving a file that size from Flash to RAM would probably take well under 1ms, even on a very slow and busy memory bus. Heck you could turn it into a binary file while moving it and make it *much* smaller and improve access time if any of this were an issue.

It's very hard for me to understand how a 600 waypoint file would give the unit any grief whatsoever. Even a 7000 waypoint shouldn't although it wouldn't surprise me at all if the s/w architects never envisioned that someone would use that large a waypoint file. Sort of a "640 K[B of RAM] ought to be enough for anyone"...

I'm with ya...and I doubt that they actually use GPX formatted data internally. I'm sure it is in binary format. I'm just being a parrot on the topic since I don't really have any way of knowing exactly what Garmin's internal code architecture looks like. There underlying OS is Android/Apache based so we can speculate -- which is always fun.

My experience with the last couple of dev teams I've had contact with leads me to believe that they have very tight cost-to-produce targets as do most low-volume consumer electronics companies these days.

Fortunately [for me] I don't design them or code them, I just test, evaluate and use them.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote