User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT! Big Bikes Conquer The Elements Of The West!

Okdokes, well let's try this again shall we?

-------------------------------------------------
DAY 3 - Continued: Passing Time In Telluride
-------------------------------------------------

The getting off course routine was getting old, frustrating and killing our time, fuel, and energy. We were running out of daylight and worse, there appeared to be fog rolling in.

Getting off course and reaching Silverton turned out to be a blessing - we needed gas! So we fueled up here.

Bonus! At the station, we ran into a group of ADV riders who were also on their way to the KTM Rally... so bummed I didn't get to snap a pic and get their names. Hope they see this and chime in...
We busted out our maps and they were able to help us get back on the right track! Thanks, guys!

So... while we were managing on our ride, Mike and Russ were headed off to see the Falls and Powerhouse. Here are Mike's pics of their ride...

Bridal Veil Falls. So beautiful!

Historic Bridal Veil Falls Powerhouse, which currently provides about 25% of Telluride's demand for electricity.

Here is Mike's video of their ride :-)

As Mike and Russ reached the One-Way Only sign, they looked up and saw fog rolling in and I bet I could guess what they must have thinking at the time...

"I wonder where Jeremy and Prev are?"

"I hope they stay away from this."

"I hope they're in better shape than this poor suv."

Well Mike and Russ, I was hoping for the same exact things!

Ahhh, so this is the beginning of the infamous Black Bear Pass...

As we made our way up, I was feeling pretty good at this point...

And then we got to the summit. Which, by the time we got there, a trifecta of elements had arrived that I did not want to be in:
- FOG
- RAIN
- NIGHT

Remember, the deal was to ""assess" and "see how we were feeling" and then "both agree" on what to do"...

According to Prev:
- "assess" - ummm... we can't see anything!
- "see how we were feeling" - ummm... we still can't see anything!
- "both agree" on what to do - ummm... we really can't see anything!

According to Jeremy:
- "assess" - we're here now
- "see how we were feeling" - no turning back
- "both agree" on what to do - we're doing it

Back to Prev: Sena speaker off...

So, I'm thinking... and thinking... and thinking... and after a minute, maybe two, and realizing we just had our first fight on the trip, which was nothing to get excited about,
I turned the Sena back on and said, "Ok. I love you. I trust you. We can do this. Let's go."

So, what was I thinking?
Well, there was no turning back since the conditions would be the same minus the scary section and we were in this together.
He loves me and would never put me in harms way. He's a smart rider during the ride. We are both athletic and have good reflexes. I know him. He's got this.
I can't freak out because he'll freak out. I need to be calm and focused so he can be too. I would get off the bike anytime I felt uncomfortable.
I'm here for an adventure and to take on challenges, within reason. And, suffice it to say, I actually thought this was reasonable.

After riding around the summit in circles a few times, we finally found the trail... and we were back on the ride...

And we're smiling again

There was a brief pocket of clarity where we took the opportunity to rest, have a little snack, stretch and enjoy what little scenery we could see.
What is this area called? Is this Ingram Creek?

We could hear the waterfall more than we could see it. It was both calming and unnerving because you knew there was a drop coming...

After a much needed rest, albeit brief, we were back on the ride...

As if the conditions weren't challenging enough...
...his rear brake overheated so he had none for a while
...his battery died so I had to push him downhill to get it kick started
Seriously? Is someone messing with us

The waterfall, both soothing and menacing...

Mine debris...

Oh look, there's Telluride...

Ok, so given what happened last night/this morning and not wanting to repeat it, here are LINKS to the VIDEOS I took during our Black Bear Pass ride.

Black Bear Pass Video 1 = Near Ingram Creek area?

Black Bear Pass Video 2 = Near Ingram Creek area?

Black Bear Pass Video 3 = "The Steps" It's a good thing you couldn't hear him on the other end! "Oh S&*#! Oh F%&@!" - all the way down. But he made it! So relieved!

Black Bear Pass Video 4 = Water crossing, solo

Black Bear Pass Video 5 = Us. First night time video using the camera, a ruggedized Nikon. I held on to his camelbak with my left and shot with my right and stood up a few times. Not too bad...

At the start of our afternoon ride, Mike and I talked and decided on a time check. If we weren't back by a certain time +/-, they should probably start worrying about us.
We brought the SPOT, but forgot to turn it back on.
It was 3pm when we left and we thought we'd be back about 6pm. Well, it was 8pm when we finished with Black Bear.
When we made it back to the hotel, we plugged in our phones and called Mike - our phones had died.
He was starting to worry about us when we called. I guess the +/- in the "certain time +/-" was a 2 hour grace period.
J/K, he knew if we did Black Bear that it would take a bit more time, given the conditions.

We caught up with them back at Brown Dog where we talked and laughed about our day.
We showed Mike and Russ the pics of Ophir Pass so that they would see the current conditions since it was on tomorrow's route.

On our walk back to the Inn, I had to smile a fantastical smile.
This vacation was stepping up to exceed far beyond my expectations!
I admired these men and women!
I was impressed by these bikes!
Being out in nature in this way, albeit challenging at times, felt astounding!
One just appreciates Nature and Life and everything and everyone in it more.
It's easy to see how and to feel and become "in-love" with this sport.

I was eager to get to bed and wake up the next morning to experience another day!

First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)

tuffenuff screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 02:57 PM Reason: Embeded Bridal Falls video from Mike & BBP Steps video :-)
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote