User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
ItsGotToBeYellow OP
IGTBY

Oddometer: 15
V-Strom 2-up to Menindee

The destination of this trip was proving difficult to lock down. Maybe Innamincka? Maybe the Victorian highlands? My grand plans were finally screwed when the missus announced that she had to be back home in just 4 days. I decided we’d better head to Menindee for a look.

After finalising some business stuff on Monday morning we finally got going around midday on the little 650 V-Strom with 60kg of gear.

photo 014-3_zpscf6eed72.jpg

We headed out to Eden Valley, Pine Hut Rd and on to Towitta.

photo 000_zpsf8fff820.jpg

You wouldn’t think a bit of wind would bother 430kg of bike, gear, pillion and rider but you’d be wrong. The bike was getting blown across the dirt tracks and we had to continually dodge fallen tree branches. After just being missed by a rather large falling branch we decided to bitumen it to a motel in Barmera.

The view from our room showed some rather large waves breaking on the Lake Bonney beach.

photo 0001-2_zps48e53a12.jpg

Absolutely crazy weather.

The next day looked much better but still a little windy and we took off to Wentworth via the Old Wentworth Rd and Renmark Rd.
Stopped off for a look at Chowilla.

photo 06-1_zps4987e17c.jpg

The road was a fairly major gravel road that varied in both track condition and scenery so it made for an interesting trip.

photo 011_zps7b9a24bb.jpg

photo 014_zpse0c3d01d.jpg

After a feed and fuel at Wentworth we followed Lower Darling Rd until it hooked up with High Darling Rd. This took us up the western side of the Darling River. Nice roads and scenery with numerous sand drifts to negotiate (probably due to the windy weather).

photo 014-1_zps415885b4.jpg

We crossed the Darling to the eastern side just before Pooncarie and headed to Menindee via the Pooncarie-Menindee Rd. This was a more major road but was a lot rougher and we bottomed the Strom’s rear suspension on a number of occasions.

After a drink at the Menindee local and a refuel, we headed out to camp in Kinchega National Park. We chose a site on the banks of the Darling which was fantastic.

photo 015_zps571c5a81.jpg

On Wednesday we followed the track through the national park which was a great ride except for a rather close encounter with a 5 ft brown snake that was spread across the narrow track.

I had intended to follow the Darling down the western side but missed the turn at Emu Lake and ended up at Tanduo Station.

photo 024_zpsa0dce91e.jpg

Followed Bindara-Tandou Rd to Coona Point-Bindara Rd.

photo 028-4_zpsc1e3c7ad.jpg

Again mostly good clay roads with quite a bit of sand. The sand wasn’t deep and a bit of throttle carried us through without much drama even though the Strom is not a big fan of sand.

photo 029-4_zps3b9a3975.jpg

We followed the Darling until we hit the same bridged that we used to cross the river the day before. We crossed back to the eastern side and had a spot of lunch on the river’s edge.

We then headed for Mungo National Park via Top Hut Rd. This again was a rough road and we crushed the rear bump stop on the Strom on numerous occasions. Had no option but to back the speed off to 80k for most of this road.

Mungo in a dust storm is interesting.

photo 037_zpsd93f0b1b.jpg

photo 033_zps9b723a2e.jpg

Then headed south on dirt to Mildura for the night, treating ourselves to another motel (and a shower).

The plan was to follow the old Mail route to Renmark but I ended up on the wrong road. Still a really interesting track.

photo 038_zps73f80a3c.jpg

Finally caught up with the Old Mail Rd only to find it closed. As it had rained the night before we decided to heed the warning and took the bitumen to the Vic/SA boarder. There we turn south. What a waste of time. Just boring and dull. Had to negotiate one tricky sand hill but mostly was a grass overgrown, dead straight, two wheeled track with no scenery worth a second glance.

photo 040_zps3eb6a7f3.jpg

photo 041_zpsefb3c71b.jpg

Oh well, been there, don’t have to go back.

We followed the border track to the junction with Carwarp Rd and Fisher Rd. Fisher Rd turned out to be a great road with refreshing scenery including a number of old ruins and lush farmland.

photo 042_zps17ffbe30.jpg

We then followed the GPS into Berri for lunch via some delightful Riverland orchard country.
Camped the night on Katarapko Creek.

photo IMG_0223_zps903cd980.jpg

Hit the bitumen on Friday morning and headed home via Morgan. Lobbed back at midday.

Over way to soon for my liking but a worthwhile trip all the same.
ItsGotToBeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
Concorde
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Sounds like another good ride on the Strom...albeit windy.

Thanks for the RR.
Concorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,271
Sounds like a good ride. How come you missed turns so often?

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
what an adventure.
Did you say you took 60 kg of gear?
that seems like quite a bit.
can i ask what weighed so much?
thanks for sharing with us
great pictures... really enjoyed this thread
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Great write up and pics! Congrats on coming from SA and NOT calling it Medindie!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
ItsGotToBeYellow OP
IGTBY

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
Sounds like a good ride. How come you missed turns so often?
As the changed destination was a last minute thing, I ripped some pages out of an old road atlas and that was all I had for maps. Not a lot of detail. Lucky to get to Menindie at all.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
SixWatt
kicker of elves

Oddometer: 139
Like to see a wee strom on a 2-up adventure. Thanks for the RR.
SixWatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
ItsGotToBeYellow OP
IGTBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
what an adventure.
Did you say you took 60 kg of gear?
that seems like quite a bit.
can i ask what weighed so much?
thanks for sharing with us
great pictures... really enjoyed this thread
We took a Black Wolf 2 man tent, Mont Warmlite air beds, Roman -5C sleeping bags, a plastic tarp, cooking gear and backpackers gas stove, food for 4 days, 11 litres of water plus longlife milk and fruit juice, 750mm of grog, walking shoes, clothes for 3 days, toiletries (remember I'm traveling with a women). Also had a First Aid Kit, Camera, Spot, GPS, air bed pump, torch, spare batteries and chargers for phones, camera and GPS. Tools included a puncture repair kit. Thats about it.

The 60kg was a guess, the bags and pannier cases weighed 50kg packed and I added 10kg to cover tools and our riding gear.

The water and other fluids were overkill for this trip but I originally had planned for something more adveturous and didn't change the packing.

Glad you enjoyed it.

IGTBY
Old 10-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
ItsGotToBeYellow OP
IGTBY

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Great write up and pics! Congrats on coming from SA and NOT calling it Medindie!
Bloke at a servo in Wentworth corrected me (I did call it Medindie).
Old 10-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGotToBeYellow View Post
We took a Black Wolf 2 man tent, Mont Warmlite air beds, Roman -5C sleeping bags, a plastic tarp, cooking gear and backpackers gas stove, food for 4 days, 11 litres of water plus longlife milk and fruit juice, 750mm of grog, walking shoes, clothes for 3 days, toiletries (remember I'm traveling with a women). Also had a First Aid Kit, Camera, Spot, GPS, air bed pump, torch, spare batteries and chargers for phones, camera and GPS. Tools included a puncture repair kit. Thats about it.

The 60kg was a guess, the bags and pannier cases weighed 50kg packed and I added 10kg to cover tools and our riding gear.

The water and other fluids were overkill for this trip but I originally had planned for something more adveturous and didn't change the packing.

Glad you enjoyed it.

IGTBY
thanks for the reply
i appreciate it
happy you had a great time... WIND INCLUDED
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
crowe2815
kenoath

Oddometer: 270
Nice one. . Mungo NP is a pretty interesting place to have a wander around in. Haven't been for years and never on two wheels. Now where is that ever growing "to do" list.
crowe2815 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:17 AM   #12
rabrd001
Solo Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
went to Mungo NP with a mate on the KLR a few years back.. great place.. good work doing it two up
Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Laugh

Beautiful scenery. The contrast between the fiery orange earth and the vivid blue sky never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for your report!
rootsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Nice report, thanks for taking us along
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote