Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #46
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Fantastic report so far Tiffany!!!

Kudo's to you for going it alone.

I wouldn't worry bout the comments re-dangerous and wotnot. I have been told all places (except america apparently) are dangerous, and anyway, you're not in the organ business are you?

Considering your other travel experiences I reckon you have more than enough street cred to recognize a reprobate from a truly dodgy bloke!

Cant believe that rice tea is anything like Rooibos!

Well done for overcoming the sand. Its always the hardest/toughest/worst stretches of any ride that brings the fondest memories afterwards. Its also what makes trips epic!

Keep the posts coming and keep those wheels rolling!

Neil
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #47
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,052
Thumb cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Fantastic report so far Tiffany!!!

Kudo's to you for going it alone.

I wouldn't worry bout the comments re-dangerous and wotnot. I have been told all places (except america apparently) are dangerous, and anyway, you're not in the organ business are you?

Considering your other travel experiences I reckon you have more than enough street cred to recognize a reprobate from a truly dodgy bloke!

Cant believe that rice tea is anything like Rooibos!

Well done for overcoming the sand. Its always the hardest/toughest/worst stretches of any ride that brings the fondest memories afterwards. Its also what makes trips epic!

Keep the posts coming and keep those wheels rolling!

Neil
thanks for the comments Neil, and yes I'll keep the RR going. Though I must admit I have literally just found out that he was referring to something that only happened last week and not last year which was the incident I thought he meant. I'm in a bit of a news blackout as far as finding out stuff that is going on.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #48
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Island Life

I'm on the island of Ile aux Nattes, where life is relaxed, everything is man(or woman)-powered and the fastest thing is...

not sure what, but stuff being paddled over to the next island. I can't complain about the neighbourhood

Or the neighbours

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #49
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Island Life 2

I had a bit of an oil leaking problem, as luck would have it, I found an Italian guy with bikes and so could explain to him in Spanish what was happening. Although I can get by in French (English is barely spoken over here) I am still a lot more comfortable talking bike stuff in Spanish after months of travel in Latin America.
And then I lucked out even more as the mechanic turned out to be Swiss and he even spoke English

Swiss mechanic- Giovanni, at work

I left Suzi in his capable hands overnight, meanwhile I was getting around on bicycle rickshaw, here's the view form the passenger seat.

The kids watching my every move from their vantage point in the tree

I hailed a passing pirogue

And use it to get back to the main island, to retrieve Suzi

This time, I hail a tuk tuk plying the route along the beaches

I know someone is going to ask what was wrong with Suzi - but I can't explain beyond...the mechanic had to put silicone stuff somewhere to stop the oil coming out and replace a couple of bolts.

The lemur came back down to play again

and later brought his friend

They're incredibly gentle as they take the banana from my hand, licking my fingers clean and then softly holding my hand to check for any more. Their paws feel more like a baby's hand.

The passing traffic from my hut

Another tough day in paradise, I have a restful

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #50
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Paridise.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #51
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Eek Trouble in Paradise

It was 3.00am and I was abruptly woken by a sharp pain in my elbow, torch on I took a look

Two puncture wounds and my elbow already swelling up, I had one thought...scorpion and it must be in my bed somewhere.

I searched round but couldn't find one, there's a mosquito net over the bed so nothing could have fallen on me.
I saw this little guy

A centipede about 4-5 inches long. I knocked him off onto the floor and he scurried away.

The next morning when I saw my host, he saw my elbow, announced there are no scorpions on this island and that it's a centipede bite. He was appalled when, upon asking if I had killed it, I reluctantly admitted I'd merely taken its photo not realising it was the culprit.
Apparently it's a pretty nasty poison, bites can swell to the size of a mango and remain like that for weeks. I was lucky, just small swelling but I was feeling nauseous for the rest of the day until the toxin was out of my body.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #52
openroad7
openroad7

Oddometer: 15
Hi Tiffany

Hi Tiffany, I'm Kevin from Australia. Just stumbled upon your thread and have now subscribed to it. I was over there myself a few months ago and had a great time, but I wasn't camping out and doing it as rough and ready as yourself. I think that you have an amazing free spirit to do so.

Saw your youtube trailer and now understand what an experienced adventure rider you are. Well done on everything you have managed to achieve thus far. Commitments at home here in Australia have prevented me from undertaking that long journey a lot of us only dream about. Stories like yours are inspiring for the majority of us caught in the 9 to 5 world. You're living the dream .. go girl!

Now that centipede bite would have scared the bejesus outta me, so well done on gutsing that out. And you couldn't even bring yourself to harm a bug like that LOL.. very kind!

The Malagasy people are lovely, aren't they? Here are a few of my links. Some photos I just uploaded to the Smugmug photo sharing site, and some video footage of my own trip in 2 parts.

Stay safe and happy trails for the rest of the journey.

http://openroad7.smugmug.com/Madagascar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PqE__dIQkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFsA...39E22B9E881429

Cheers,

Kevin
Sydney, AUS
openroad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #53
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post

Or the neighbours

With those Lemurs around, I'd be staying about a month on that island!

Enjoying your report!

Rinty screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 09:36 AM
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #54
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Internet!!

I've been off-line for seven days, ever since my sister arrived and we hit the road heading south west, we have now reached the Mozambique Channel and are in the town of Morondava after a journey that included three days paddling down the Tseribhina River in a pirogue (dug put canoe) with Suzi the bike precariously balanced in it - photos to follow.

Just checking in really to let people know I'm alive.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #55
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Thank you for checking in....Your fans worry about you
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #56
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
I've been off-line for seven days, ever since my sister arrived and we hit the road heading south west, we have now reached the Mozambique Channel and are in the town of Morondava after a journey that included three days paddling down the Tseribhina River in a pirogue (dug put canoe) with Suzi the bike precariously balanced in it - photos to follow.

Just checking in really to let people know I'm alive.

Have you crossed the wash-out river? It was on the way to Morondava, few k after the end of the long 100km gravel stretch.

It was quite challenging

Nic
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #57
openroad7
openroad7

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
Have you crossed the wash-out river? It was on the way to Morondava, few k after the end of the long 100km gravel stretch. It was quite challenging.
Nic
Hi Nic,

The road from Miandrivazo to Morondava has pot-holed sections, but hardly any gravel sections to factor in along the RN34/RN35 route these days. Travelled that road just a few months back. I do remember that bridge too but only needed to ease off on speed a bit, so likely some basic repair work has been done there recently too. Must've been a real challenge a few years back in the wet season.

OR7
openroad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #58
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,828
Fantastic stuff, Tiffany, as always!!

You really had a sparkle in your eyes when you talked of Madagascar during your visit with us. I'm really happy to see that you're there and enjoying yourself.

Safe travels, and thanks for the great write-up!

Cheer!

Al & Holly

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #59
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Morondava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddygfw View Post
Thank you for checking in....Your fans worry about you
I hadn't realised people would actually be worrying - my Mum doesn't, she is the laid back type, her response to being told that my GPS SOT locator distress beacon going off when I was in the Himalayas was very comical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
Fantastic stuff, Tiffany, as always!!

You really had a sparkle in your eyes when you talked of Madagascar during your visit with us. I'm really happy to see that you're there and enjoying yourself.

Safe travels, and thanks for the great write-up!

Cheer!

Al & Holly
Good to hear you guys are following and enjoying- and yes Madagascar is everything I had hoped it would be and more.

My sister is with me now for the next three weeks, this was her arrival at the airport last week

For some reason her boyfriend is a bit concerned about her safety while travelling with me

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #60
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad7 View Post
Hi Nic,

The road from Miandrivazo to Morondava has pot-holed sections, but hardly any gravel sections to factor in along the RN34/RN35 route these days. Travelled that road just a few months back. I do remember that bridge too but only needed to ease off on speed a bit, so likely some basic repair work has been done there recently too. Must've been a real challenge a few years back in the wet season.

OR7
thanks for that update guys, as I came down the river and through Belo sur Tseribhina to get here, I yet to experience the road. But I'm not sure anything will compare to dange levels as being in the little pirogue with the bike, four other people and a chicken for three days!
I'll be heading east via that road and will let you know how I get on.

Tiffany's youtube video