ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #136
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgo77 View Post

Two of those are pictures of my buddy George Johnston. Not only did he come the farthest I suspect (Howell, MI), but decided to throw his DR650 at Bill's mudhole!!! I just rode around the right side of it and never got muddy at all. It really did STINK....
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #137
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
I may be going to this.. looks like fun, plus my lil sister just moved to Evansville so can give her a visit (and crash on her couch!) for the weekend.. I'll even be nice and take my boots off outside.
Epix1718 , You need to go to this run. It is a blast to ride .Billgo 77 will take you in. Look for a crazy guy on a blue Kaw Versys and ride in his group. These guys are very fun
Old 10-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #138
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel_86 View Post
Looks likes I may be throwing my hat into this fun fest! We will see as time gets closer.
Do it man, you won't be sorry. Ride with Billgo77 (blue Kaw Versys!!!) as he needs a Michigan contingent to keep him in line. Just don't follow his line into any mudholes .
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #139
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Oddometer: 252
we got a little wet this morning, but we finished all of the pre-riding and i am putting the finishing touches on the tracks........will get them posted soon. I'll post some pics of some of the highlites you will see on this ride..........we got some great suggestions for places to eat

and of course we have found another Picture Rock......this year we got Dave to volunteer his trials background to hop up on the rock. It's right across the road from Graffiti Cliff so bring your spray can a paint to leave your mark

Loose Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #140
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Well this year we are starting in Vincennes, one of the oldest cities in Indiana full of rich history. If you have a chance to visit, make sure that you look around………there is a lot to see.

If you are coming to the 2013 Loose Nut Dual Sport Ride, we will be visiting or at least riding by some of these locations BUT not all of them. If you can show up early or stay later, I would recommend visiting these sites.
If you want to camp in or near Vincennes, there are two convenient locations. The first is the second Fort Knox Park northwest of town. The other is Kimmel Park right near downtown on the Wabash River. Just follow the waypoints in the GPS files to find these.

Kimmel Park Riverfront

Kimmel Park Campground Firepits

We are going to ride along right next to the Original Fort Knox location – not much left behind here to see but the historical marker. Our route will not go by Fort Knox 2, but is has a layout of the old Fort to visit.

The new United States government built a new fort in Vincennes and named it Ft. Knox (usually referred to by local historians as Ft. Knox I), after the U.S. Secretary of War. It was located at the present-day intersection of First and Buntin St. During the relative peace with both the British and the Indians from 1787–1803, Ft. Knox was the western-most American military outpost. The garrison at Fort Knox and the population at Vincennes did not get along. In 1796, the garrison was ordered not to venture beyond 100 yards of Fort Knox. Territorial Governor William Henry Harrison petitioned Secretary of War Henry Dearborn for money to build a new fort.
In 1803, the federal government approved $200 to build a new fort, and the War Department bought land for the new fort about three miles north of Vincennes, at a Wabash River landing called Petit Rocher. This fort was also called Ft. Knox, and referred to locally as Ft. Knox II. The sleepy little fort was famous mostly for duels (Captain Thorton Posey shot his second-in-command in 1811) and desertion. But by 1811 disagreements between Gov. Harrison and Indian leader Tecumseh were reaching a head. A new captain, Zachary Taylor, was put in charge of the fort. Late in 1811 Ft. Knox II had its most important period when it was used as the muster point for Governor Harrison as he gathered his troops, both regular U.S. army and militia, prior to the march to Prophetstown and the Battle of Tippecanoe. After the battle the troops returned to Ft. Knox at Vincennes and several died there from their wounds. The Ft. Knox II site is now a state historic site, close to present-day Ouabache Trails Park on the outskirts of Vincennes, with the outline of the fort marked with short posts and interpretive signage in a park setting. In 1813, as the War of 1812 increased the chances of attacks by Native Americans, it was determined that the site outside town was too far away to protect the town. Ft. Knox II was disassembled, floated down the Wabash, and reassembled just a few yards from where Ft. Knox I had been. After the war, the threat of attacks again decreased, and friction between residents and soldiers again became an issue. Since the Native American territories decreased and were moved farther north, it was decided to move the garrison to Fort Harrison, near Terre Haute, where the troops had won a victory a few years before. On 10 February 1816, the garrison was ordered to Fort Harrison, and Fort Knox was abandoned. Within weeks, Vincennes residents had stripped the fort of all usable materials.

Speaking of Govenor Harrison, the first stop on the track will be Grouseland, the governors mansion.

We aren’t riding past the Indiana Military Museum, but I included a waypoint if you have time to visit. It’s really a very nice private museum if you like tanks, and airplanes and bunkers and that sort of thing. It really is worth the time to stop by.

We’ll be riding right past the St. Francis Xavier Cathedral in Vincennes, Indiana. It is often referred to by locals as "The Old Cathedral". The St. Francis Xavier Cathedral was elevated to the status of Basilica (minor basilica) on 14 March, 1970. The church is located opposite George Rogers Clark National Historical Park, at 205 Church Street. It was built in 1826 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

A trip to Vincennes would not be complete if you didn’t get to see the George Rogers Clark National Monument.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #141
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Leaving Vincennes, we will cross the Lincoln Memorial Bridge. This is a very special concrete arch bridge that unites engineering and architecture. The curved arches are designed so that the arch spans are complimented by the decorative arches that run under the deck line. The design includes the railings and cantilevered sidewalks. Two massive decorative pylons at the Indiana corners of the bridge depict Native Americans and inscribed on these pylons is "Raovl Josset SC" which refers to Raoul Josset, Sculptor, a French artist. The bridge is located next to the George Rogers Clark Memorial which is the centerpiece for the National Historic Park. The bridge itself is in a way part of the memorial, thanks to the decorative pylons. The bridge also could be considered a symbol of the other aspect of American heritage being remembered at this historic crossing, specifically a crossing where Abraham Lincoln crossed on a ferry to enter Illinois for the first time in his life. A small plaque on the Indiana side, and a larger monument on the Illinois side commemorates this event. Very few open-spandrel arches were bult in the 1930s, and none is as decorated as this bridge. The structure is the longest of its kind in Indiana and has an unusually wide center span. Today this bridge still retains its architectural integrity.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #142
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Do it man, you won't be sorry. Ride with Billgo77 (blue Kaw Versys!!!) as he needs a Michigan contingent to keep him in line. Just don't follow his line into any mudholes .
See you say that but you haven't seen me ride
OEF 12
ivel_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #143
RedBirdStation
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBirdStation View Post
I needed a excuse to go out today and test the new GPS , so I took a ride this afternoon to the Glendale Park & Rec. area to check out the camping down there.

There are both primitive and electric sites. Bath house is really nice, This work for all who are planning on camping. This is located about 8 miles to the SE of Washington.

I plan on going down on Fri night and leave from there and going to the meeting spot in the morning. I will provide all the firewood that we will need for the night.
Quick question.
How many plan on camping?
Not me! I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
RedBirdStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #144
Btown Jason
Substitute

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Quick question.
If I make it I will be tent camping. Gosh I hope I make it!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #145
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Quote:
Quick question.
I Am Planning To Camp On Saturday night
Old 10-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #146
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

After crossing and riding under the Lincoln Memorial Bridge we’ll ride along the Illinois side of the Wabash River on gravel and chip-n-seal county roads to the town of St. Francisville.

We’ll roll into the west edge of St. Francisville and immediately be stopped at the toll booth for the Wabash Cannonball Bridge. It’ll be one of the best $1 that you spend on this trip. Wabash Cannonball Bridge is a common name for the bridge. Stangle Bridge refers to the farmer who bought the bridge and first converted it for vehicular use. Purple Head Bridge relates to local lore that claims this bridge is haunted. The bridge is also called the St. Francisville Bridge. Whatever you want to call it and whenever you want to visit it, you can be sure that there are incredible stories and wonderful history surrounding this old structure.

My pictures will never do any justice to this spectacular bridge. There are lots of ATV and motorcycle trails under and around the west end of this bridge that allow some great views and pictures. This bridge is a most unusual historic bridge, both because this large, multi-span structure is composed of spans from three different dates and also because of its conversion for vehicular traffic. Originally a railroad bridge, the railroad company did not engage in wholesale demolition and replacement of the bridge at any given time, but rather replaced individual spans as needed. As such, spans on the bridge date from 1897, 1904, and 1924. Eventually, in the late 1960’s the bridge was abandoned by the railroad. The bridge then found new life in an uncommon way: a farmer named Frank Stangle bought the bridge in 1970 and opened it for vehicular traffic as a toll bridge. Very minimal changes were made to the bridge by this private owner. The railroad ties were left in place, and running planks for cars were simply put in place. The rails were removed from the deck, but did not leave the bridge, since the guardrail that was added to the bridge uses the railroad rails as guardrail posts.

In 1995, the bridge apparently was sold to the city of St. Francisville. In the 21st Century, the bridge was sold to the State of Illinois in 2009 who claims they will maintain the bridge and keep it open. However, given the striking lack of historic bridge preservation in Illinois, especially with IDOT owned bridges, from other Wabash River Bridges such as the Mt. Carmel Bridge (for which IDOT was lead agency), to the Seneca Bridge, and the New Harmony Bridge some concern and uncertainty for the future of this bridge due to this transfer of ownership seems warranted. It’s hoped this bridge will receive a higher level of care and attention than those bridges, given its historic significance. So take your time and enjoy this bridge – it may not be here the next time you want to visit.

Really now – SLOW down and take your time and visit this old structure. I really like old bridges and this is one of my favorites. If you aren’t a bridge geek, please jump to the next post – because I think this is about to get interesting…….

From west (Illinois) to east (Indiana), we’ll cross the bridge spans as follows:

First up - there are eight deck plate girder spans built in 1904 by the King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Each span used to have a plaque with a 1904 date on it.

The first truss we will get to cross will be an eight panel fixed pin-connected through truss, dating to 1897 built by the Edge Moor Bridge Works of Wilmington, Delaware.

Next, is the big eight panel 235 foot 1924 swing through truss span with riveted connections. That’s right……..a Swing Span. This truss was designed to be center supported on the giant sand rock pier and pivoted to allow the larger riverboat and barge river traffic to pass through. I have not been successful in finding out much about the sandstone piers. I assume that they were supplied locally, but cannot imagine building them with the tools that were available at the time.

This is followed by another eight panel 1897 Edge More Bridge Works span,

Next, the easternmost truss span, a fixed, riveted through truss span of 157 feet and six panels, which likely dates to 1924 when the swing span was also built.

Finally the last spans of the bridge are five deck plate girder spans built in 1904 by King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Each span has a plaque mounted on it. It is noted that not all spans have 1904 on the plaque except one of the spans lists 1903. Perhaps these spans were pre-fabricated standard-size spans by King Bridge Company in 1903 and were something they still had on-hand and sold to the railroad in 1904.

Riding across this bridge is a rare opportunity in North America. You will get to experience crossing a single lane bridge that is in excess of 1000 feet long. Please be careful and make sure that there isn’t any traffic that has begun crossing from the other end of the bridge. This is always a fun experience listening to the driving planks clatter and squeak under your tires, dodging the cracks and splits and missing boards or just hammering down the middle on the old ties hitting the high spots (that’s a little harder for the sidecar guys).

Hopefully, you will assign some historic significance to this bridge since it is associated with multiple noteworthy bridge builders, as well as for its unique variety of spans. This variety of spans clearly shows a different approach that the railroad companies took to bridge maintenance and replacement. I just hope you appreciated and enjoyed the old bridge as much I do.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #147
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

OH.....by the way......if it's been raining or the bridge is wet..........BE CAREFUL, it can get really really really slick
Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #148
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Another great picture of hackrman posing with his KLR & Sidecar......this is a great combination that that has been all around this part of the country.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #149
Squishymonster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Do people generally wear heated jacket and gloves for this ride? I've been thinking of getting a 3 season jacket, but after the chilly air today I'm leaning toward something with a winter bias.
Squishymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #150
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishymonster View Post
Do people generally wear heated jacket and gloves for this ride? I've been thinking of getting a 3 season jacket, but after the chilly air today I'm leaning toward something with a winter bias.

there will be lots of heated gear on this ride and others like it throughout the fall, winter and spring.........you'll see warm toasty smiling faces with heated grips, gloves, vests, and jackets on this ride........me personally have never had any heated gear........layers usually work pretty well for me.