ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
7seas10 OP
7seas

Oddometer: 427
ABS or not ABS? Baja or Adv?

Hello guys,

I am in the market for a 990 ADv 2012 (new if possible).
But, while searching I found out that the prices on the Baja are really good.
Should I be concerned for not having ABS on the Baja or I better get the ADV?
I used ABS on almost all of my bikes and I know how good it is to have.
Does anybody really know the difference between the 2 bikes when it comes to braking?

My riding is 65/35(dirt)

Thanks for your help and I apologize for my silly
questions.( I never owned a 990 before).

(Just for info, I am not planning on getting a 1190)
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
desert sky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I bought the Baja because it came without electronic traction control, electronic suspension adjustment and ABS. To each his own though.
desert sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Weldit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I have the abs and it may prove usefull some day and save me but
it is totally useless in the dirt - down right scary as the rear brake does nothing
you can turn off the abs - but have to turn it off every time you restart bike or
some have wired a switch into rear sensor to cause a fault and have it stay off
till you want it on.
KTM didn't do that because of legal reasons. As many times I have forgot
to turn it off, I am sure I would forget to turn it back on also.

another plus is the non abs bikes have more storage under seat where abs unit is.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Am I the only one that thinks turning the ABS off should affect the rear wheel only? I've ridden many miles of dirt(harescrambles, enduros, etc) and can't think of a good reason not to have ABS on the front full time or..... at least the choice of it-only anyway.
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sky View Post
I bought the Baja because it came without electronic traction control, electronic suspension adjustment and ABS. To each his own though.
The 990 adv only has abs and none of the other options you mentioned above.
I have a 990adv to S spec suspension and a switch to the abs to leave it off permanently if I want to. I like it on the road in the wet with knobbies when it's sometimes harder to find grip.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
7seas10 OP
7seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
The 990 adv only has abs and none of the other options you mentioned above.
I have a 990adv to S spec suspension and a switch to the abs to leave it off permanently if I want to. I like it on the road in the wet with knobbies when it's sometimes harder to find grip.
Good thoughts
Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Redcloudisalive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sky View Post
Me too!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Creekside
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I ride about 70/30 with some 100+ gravel miles on some days.

I prefer the abs because of traffic and commuting. But that said I don't always remember to disable the abs on the back roads and get some real ass pucker moments on trails or minimum maintenance roads if I forget. Its like "holely sh#t where is my brakes dude"! I can tell when I get on the back and its like non-functional. I get to where I do a slide test without even thinking to make sure its off. Go slide go on.

ABS in traffic is great. Its worth the hassle in the back roads to me. I do 25 miles to work at 6am at 70-80mph. LED tail lights, ABS, Scorpions, bright jacket and helmet and hyperdefensive driving are required. ABS in the rain with 80/20 tires is just perfect really. That and a seat I can reach from.

I just did my first ATV park yesterday, and this is a big bike. Probably stick with scorps and gravel/easy trails. ABS is great - its not a trail bike. This was after 50 miles of gravel and then another 70 miles after riding a few trails there in the open area. Mud just about brought me down twice.

Creekside screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 06:45 PM
Creekside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
7seas10 OP
7seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside View Post
I ride about 70/30 with some 100+ gravel miles on some days.

I prefer the abs because of traffic and commuting. But that said I don't always remember to disable the abs on the back roads and get some real ass pucker moments on trails or minimum maintenance roads if I forget. Its like "holely sh#t where is my brakes dude"! I can tell when I get on the back and its like non-functional. I get to where I do a slide test without even thinking to make sure its off. Go slide go on.

ABS in traffic is great. Its worth the hassle in the back roads to me. I do 25 miles to work at 6am at 70-80mph. LED tail lights, ABS, Scorpions, bright jacket and helmet and hyperdefensive driving are required. ABS in the rain with 80/20 tires is just perfect really. That and a seat I can reach from.

I just did my first ATV park yesterday, and this is a big bike. Probably stick with scorps and gravel/easy trails. ABS is great - its not a trail bike. This was after 50 miles of gravel and then another 70 miles after riding a few trails there in the open area. Mud just about brought me down twice.

Great,

I wanted to read some technical details from everyday experiences.

Thanks a lot
Safe riding
Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
agent86pc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Scorpions + mud= tears.

The scorpions are very good to excellent on road, no bad on gravel, acceptable on dry dirt BUT at the first sight of moisture ie mud I think they are downright scary & will put you on your ass very quickly. I won't go into his I know this but I have some practical um ... Experience regarding the mud + scorpions = not good outcome. And I've been thinking about the ABS off road thing, & I wonder how hard it would be to wire up a small handle bar mounted button / switch that is readily accessible to deactivate the rear ABS only as I think this would be a major improvement to the bike.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
Wookie97
Wow!That was close.

Oddometer: 28
I have to agree with others on here. Having ABS is great in traffic and everyday travel to and from work. Having the ability to turn it off for dirt is awesome but as others have stated you have to turn it back off every time you turn the motor off. There are some threads on here where others have installed a simple switch to turn the ABS of. It will flash a code but it beats having to press/hold the button every time. I have also found that I will either forget to turn the ABS back off or to turn it back on again when I hit pavement.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
Creekside
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Remembering to turn it off every time is a pain. Particularly when riding with a group of 690s who have knobbies and like to stop and go, where they like to go fast and then break. Next thing I know I am unable to stop quickly and have an eye popping moment. ABS does allow you to use the front brake with wreckless abandon, but if on dusty large gravel you have nothing and the next thing you are flying straight into a group of your friends downhill on large new gravel dump. No slides but you can't stop for anything.

That said, I also ride with sport tours, sport bikes and harley guys. There the abs is a nice thing. Its the security of highway speeds at night between large cities. Doing 500 mile days through the ozarks with never a second on gravel means you need abs to bring that speed down if your following liter bike land missiles. Never know whats around the next corner and its not like we don't speed.

I am the kind of guy that needs knobbies, with the rosta cruise mounted on the handle bar. Maybe next year.
Creekside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 292
None of my bikes had ABS until I bought an old PanEuropean ST1100A, 13 years old with one of the early ABS Honda put on bikes.
Today I'm thinking why I was so stupid of not getting it earlier. Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not having it. I'm sure I still would have my old Varadero (without ABS) if it had had ABS.

On a bike thats going dirty, its nice if you can turn it off permanently. It's not a big problem though if you can't. On the GS/LC I used in April for Off-road, that was the case. When you go dirty you make sure to turn it off. I got used to do so very quickly. On my 1190 @R I got the dongle that permits permanent turn off.
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
munstro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I've had an *** puckering moment with the ABS on, and then today had another with it off. A few weeks ago, riding a smooth as glass dirt road, held onto the throttle for a second or so too long and went for the rear brake which felt non existent. Barely slowed down enough to make it through the corner without shooting off the road. Then today, rallying along a dirt road between Perkensville and Jerome Az, probably around 50 mph with ABS off, slight downhill grade. Went to grab the rear brake to slow down for a cattle guard and the darn thing was spongy as heck. Grabbed a little more and suddenly the back tire has broken loose a touch. Was pretty darn scary. Started to contemplate which situation was worse, and i decided that the out of control feeling I had when the ABS was on was scariest. Then again the rear being spongy like that is scary as well. Then I remembered I'm still running the Scorpion Trail that came on the bike! I'll replace it at some point but in the meantime I'm not going anywhere near mud again.
munstro is offline   Reply With Quote