Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #91
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
...he showed us K60s at the rally with every second center rib cut out with a hot-knife-type tire tool. He ran one of these to the rally with a fellow rider running a standard 150...both had similar wear after Wisconsin to Steamboat via some COBDR sections. Offroad traction was greatly improved over the stock K60 in some situations. I believe Craig will be doing this as an option for a small fee if you buy a tire through him.
I have been running 140s to have the full center lug pattern but feel they are undersized for a loaded bike and I don't get the mileage others have quoted. Another inmate pointed out that the 150 when mounted appears to have a more aggressive side knob than the 140. The wider tire will definitely protect your rim better from rocks if you run a lot of that type of trail. I will be trying one of CJs next...
Testing proved well and tire life changed very little. Traction went way up though. Again not perfect anywhere, but a huge plus over stock K60 trim. Think AT tire that you put on your truck. I will try and post some pics of options soon or on the site when I have a chance to make more. I already have several other riders asking to have this done to there next set so I do plan to offer this mod in the future. I can even sipe them for added wet weather performance. I felt the TKC80 front and REAR CJD K60 mod worked great for our COBDR ride, plus our trip to and from WI geared up for camping, cooking and trail riding.

Safe travels.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #92
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,913
In terms of wear I get about half out of the 140 as I do out of a 150.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #93
beewill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Testing proved well and tire life changed very little. Traction went way up though. Again not perfect anywhere, but a huge plus over stock K60 trim. Think AT tire that you put on your truck. I will try and post some pics of options soon or on the site when I have a chance to make more. I already have several other riders asking to have this done to there next set so I do plan to offer this mod in the future. I can even sipe them for added wet weather performance. I felt the TKC80 front and REAR CJD K60 mod worked great for our COBDR ride, plus our trip to and from WI geared up for camping, cooking and trail riding.

Safe travels.

How much different would the cut K60 be to the Mefo? Isn't the Mefo basically the K60 with out the solid center tread?

A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company.”
― Oscar Wilde
beewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #94
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,515
Traction may be gained from cutting but it will be at the expense of longevity, the main reason they last so well is the centre wear rib, it would be interesting to see side by side comparo over a longer distance and timd
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #95
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,515
Finally took the K60 off at 21200 km or 13250 miles in Bogota, she was turning into a great road tire .

Still had a 1000 miles up its sleeve, no punctures, running 4mm UHD tube through Mexico, Central America and Colombia in some pretty big heats not one issue.

Mileage done with two up with house and contents.

Interesting change, our original one had the couple of mm step down between the tread blocks in the middle, the new one is solid to start with.

....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote