Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #376
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
TOUCHE!!!!!! and whats your moms madien name? Met a gentleman at the Gorge one year he had 30-40k on his KLR in one year. He did that regular like.
That gentleman and I have had some very pleasant communications since that time. I hope to ride with him some day!

dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #377
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
do you ever miss youre R1100GS? I had one previously and I am now researching the big LC8 KTMs for two up..

greg
I don't think that I miss it, but it was a tremendous moto. I have traveled two up on the 990 down here with stock springs. It does great! Ana only weighs about 120 or less and does fine on the Seat Concepts seat. I am sure that Sheryl would not have liked it!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #378
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

My 86 year old father died about 1:00 this afternoon! I am on the way back to Mississippi. I will pick up a rental car plus my daughter and grand-daughter in Dallas before going home. Daddy's funeral will be next Saturday.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #379
onewoodsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I am truly sorry for your loss.
onewoodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #380
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Donnie, i'm sorry for yor loss.
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #381
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,743
Gods Speed...

Sorry for your loss...hug the kids..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #382
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

THANKS GUYS!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #383
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
your father

Donnie,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I am back in Clarksdale now.
Would like to pay my respects. Let me know if you need
anything.

Send me a PM or email.

Regards, Royse
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #384
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I arrived in Mississippi yesterday. I rode the 1550 miles from south Mexico to Dallas, TX from Saturday afternoon till Monday night. Yes it was very tiring! Two 15 hour days on the moto back to back. The Mexico roads were considerably worse on the return trip due to the rain fall and flooding that occurred while I was in Mexico. The 990 turned over 32,000 miles before arriving to Dallas. That makes 12,000 plus miles since this thread was started five months ago. I rented a car in Dallas and brought my daughter and grand-daughter to Mississippi with me. My father's funeral is Saturday. I will return to Dallas next week to take them back and then ride back to Mississippi, maybe with a detour to Amarillo, TX.

The moto done the last trip to Mexico with no problems! I am the Executor for my father's estate and depending on how things work out, I hope to return to Mexico within the next four weeks, and then do another round trip from Mexico to MS and back to Mexico before Christmas.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #385
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
RIP Dad!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #386
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I took my daughter, grand-daughter and rental car back to Dallas last Tuesday. Then rode the moto up to Amarillo, TX to visit family and returned to my sister's here in Mississippi today. In the five weeks since I left for Mexico, I have ridden over 5,200 miles and driven the rental car 1,000 plus miles. The 990 has been trouble free except for the loose rear wheel spokes that were due to the accident last July. Total mileage on the odometer is now 33,400. The speedo has been set for a 19" wheel since I purchased the 990 with 4,900 miles. While that makes the speedo accurate, the odometer under measures mileage by about 4.5%. So the real total mileage is close to 35,000 miles.

Hopefully, I will be able to return to Mexico in the near future!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #387
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Hi!

I am down here in south Mexico and my rear brake ring rotor has gotten really loose! It was due to a bunch of loose spokes that was generating a wheel wobble. The rotor has a side to side movement of 1/8" plus! It is loose at the big hollow rivets looking things. Can you tighten those up some kind of way? Looks like maybe you can hold it against a steel surface and "hit" lightly with a flat hammer to tighten up. It is stopping fine, but is noisy on rough streets and may eventually come loose! Thanks!

Donnie

I did the socket repair and it seems fine for them moment. Time will tell. I will probably order one and have it waiting for me when I return to the states in a month.

Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie
I did the socket repair and it seems fine for them moment. Time will tell. I will probably order one and have it waiting for me when I return to the states in a month.

My disk has loosened up some by the time I returned to Mississippi, but not as much as it was before I "repaired" it. I ordered a new one.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #388
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

From yesterday on a different thread: My 2007 990 Adventure will only run in neutral! It dies as soon as you put it in gear whether the side stand is up or down. It will crank in gear. I am going out now to check the clutch lever.

The piece that is mounted to the side stand was loose and not making contact to the proximity switch.

From an Inmate: The sidestand switch, neutral switch and clutch lever switch work together to keep the rider from riding off with the sidestand down. The ignition is cut if motor is running, bike in gear and stand down--as soon as clutch lever is released. The sidestand switch is a 2 piece assembly. It is a Hall effect type with no physical contacts. The circuit is made/broken by a magnet moving through the field created by an energized switch. The magnet is on the sidestand. The switch/field part is bolted to the frame. The sidestand switch can be bypassed with a plug in device from KTM or DIY by removing the 2 pieces, leaving the connections intact and securing the magnet piece to the fixed piece so that that the circuit is complete--making the ECU think the sidestand is down. Sidestand switch failures are very common.

I need to check the bolt that holds the magnet when checking for loose bolts and screws on the moto during PM.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #389
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone have one of the first generation SPOT units that is not being used or maybe has upgraded to one of the newer styles? The back cover that goes over the batteries on mine has broken. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #390
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Installed the new rear brake disk today at 34,085 miles. This was not a wear situation, it was due to damage from an incredible amount of loose spokes and associated wobble. The loose spokes were due to the rim being bent in an accident July.

The 990 was flawless on the trip to Mexico. It has accumulated over 6,000 miles since I left September 1. The only maintenance I have performed since Sept 1 has been an oil change, changing the rear brake pads and tightening nuts and bolts.

I will be headed back to Mexico Oct 22 and will be returning to Mississippi mid Dec to attend attend to my father's affairs. I will be carrying an air filter for a change in a couple thousand miles, but expect no other PM till my return. Of course, I always have spare brake pads with me just in case.

I would expect that he moto will be approaching or pass the 40K mark by year's end.