ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #1126
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
I believe SLD = Skyline Drive.
Correct.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #1127
J&J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Normally sections of the BRP close when the first snowfall occurs and remain closed until spring. There is no significant snow clearing other than that done by mother nature.

I believe SLD = Skyline Drive.
ok. cool deal. Thanks guys
J&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #1128
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP11 View Post
For instance, on the BRP track, I deleted the points all the way back to the Enchanted track so I could connect these two. I then highlighted these two as well as the next track (which I think is BRT W 05) but when I joined the tracks, I had arrows pointing in different directions.

Also, once I joined these 3 tracks, I tried to figure out what was next, but then couldn't add that next track to what I already had. I'm sure there is a simple solution, just trying to find it and get some advice from folks who have more experience. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks
Be sure the tracks are going the same way first, you can reverse them. And be sure you join them end to beginning not end to end or beginning to beginning.
No idea why you can join the next track. ???
Old 10-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #1129
ChrisP11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I'm curious how most folks use this information. For instance, do you just download David's file to your GPS and then pick tracks as you go, or do you try to connect the whole thing and load it as one track? Due to the fact there are multiple track options and routes, I had planned on creating my own entire trip out of all the information I received so I could just follow that on my GPS.
ChrisP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #1130
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP11 View Post
For instance, do you just download David's file to your GPS and then pick tracks as you go, or do you try to connect the whole thing and load it as one track? Due to the fact there are multiple track options and routes, I had planned on creating my own entire trip out of all the information I received so I could just follow that on my GPS.
Some people pick and choose.

The simplest thing to do is load all of the tracks and plan a ride around them. The tracks are connected in the sense that they form a linear path N/S through the state. There is nothing really to connect. Since you have a 62s you can import all of the tracks - even the super hi-fidelity ones.

You can choose which tracks to show at any given time within your GPS... so if you want to hide certain sections you can do it on the fly. Also - since they are tracks - any routing you do is not influenced by the fact they are on your screen.

This might help: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420446
error cooled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #1131
ChrisP11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
David, thanks for your reply. The thing I am a little concerned about is the following: Let's say I'm following the BRP track, but plan on taking the Enchanted Creek FDR1881 track over to the BRT W Part 5 state. Will I just have to be on the lookout for these and once I find them change my GPS over to that track? Or once I'm on the BRP track, go ahead and select the Enchanted creek and my GPS would notify me once I get there?

I'm sure I'm over-thinking this thing, but I thought it might be possible to go ahead and connect all the track options I plan to take and the GPS would lead me through it.

Thanks again for your help and creating such a great trail.
ChrisP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #1132
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 982
Question for locals (or EC)...
Would you expect any of the BRT to be closed due to the gov shutdown?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #1133
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
Question for locals (or EC)...
Would you expect any of the BRT to be closed due to the gov shutdown?
Most of the roads are ungated - and open year round - and should still be open.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #1134
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Thanks... I wasn't sure how much of this was on federal ground. It sounds like the S500 has been converted to a gravel/asphalt ride due to the shutdown. It sucks to be so close to the event and not know, but I'm pretty psyched to ride the BRT. (I may skip the S500, even though I already paid for the ride and a hotel.)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #1135
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Thanks... I wasn't sure how much of this was on federal ground. It sounds like the S500 has been converted to a gravel/asphalt ride due to the shutdown. It sucks to be so close to the event and not know, but I'm pretty psyched to ride the BRT. (I may skip the S500, even though I already paid for the ride and a hotel.)
85% is of the BRT on federal land. The S500 is run by a group (WATR) that works closely, and has a sterling relationship with the USFS. I get the impression they are being super conservative and avoiding all USFS roads so as to not sour the relationship or jeopardize the permit. The roads are there, and only the seasonal roads would possibly be gated. The BRT avoids most of the seasonally closed roads.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #1136
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Well, I'm in Woodstock right now. Heading out tomorrow to tackle the BRT, looks like the closest part is Edinburg Gap FDR374.
So, if anyone sees a Beta out there- it's me.
(I imagine I'm not going to see many people. There were parts of the S500 where I didn't see anyone for miles, and that was an organized ride!)
Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #1137
racerron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Well, I'm in Woodstock right now. Heading out tomorrow to tackle the BRT, looks like the closest part is Edinburg Gap FDR374.
(I imagine I'm not going to see many people. There were parts of the S500 where I didn't see anyone for miles, and that was an organized ride!)
You may not be the only one riding the BRT this week, I'm leaving upstate NY wed. morning. Riding the TPAT to the TET and hope to ride most of the BRT. before continuing on the TET south. Should be riding the BRT thur. & fri. on a XR650L. How was the S500? we got some big time rain upstate this weekend.
racerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #1138
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
My 2 cents - hope this gets to you in time.

If you are in Woodstock now I would head west - not east. The mountain FDR374 is on is nice but the better riding is in the west. You are better off taking the yellow bypass labeled Crooked Road / Covered Bridge which heads west out of Mt Jackson. You go up over the mountains and then back down 259 into Bergton and into the GWNF on German River Rd. That is the best bang for the buck so to speak.. or you could jump on the track listed BRT Part 3.

Not sure what you rode at the S500 due to the permit issue - but there is some over lap on those mountains.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #1139
PBOB
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
I'm planning on running half of it again October 25th down to Mountain Lake in Giles county. There is an organized dual sport event being help at MT Lake 10-26 through 10-27. They're calling it the Mountain Man challenge and the guys who laid the ride out are promising a ride that will be epic so I'll go check it out. Then I'll ride the BRT back home after the event on 10-27. You're welcome to tag along.

My only concern with riding the pace I did with multiple riders is people riding over their heads and getting hurt and the dust would've sucked if someone was behind me on the ride. You would almost have to ride on the leaders tail just to keep from riding in a dust cloud. But if you're game we'll give it a go.
Does anybody have details about this ride?....
They say registration is over on the 15th... Bc of my work I may not be able to go, but if I'm free that weekend I'll go. Except I won't know till that week. And i may only be able to make it Saturday....any one know if I can just show up and ride Saturday and pay a little extra?
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #1140
DJ.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I live in the Staunton area and I am planning on riding the BRT or as much as I can on Nov. 1st-3rd. I think I will start out on Archers Road or The Old Parkersburg Turnpike. I have three days riding camping two nights. Any suggestions as to head North or South or areas to avoid I know the SKD is closed I wanted to stay on the dirt as much as possible so may to a out and backtrack rout. FYI I am on a KLR 650 and have a buddy on a KLR also. I have good experience my buddy is good on the bike but has only had it for a few weeks.
DJ. is offline   Reply With Quote