Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #316
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Ian:
I'm sure you will post when the taller screens are in stock yes?
About how much taller will they be?

A design question:
The windscreen is adjustable up and down, but the angle is fixed correct? How did you guys select/optimize the angle?
Taller screens will be here at the end of next week and I stress that for anybody under 6'3" the taller screen is irrelavent.

The design question deserves a full explanation, because it is an issue that many consider when choosing a screen. I have to add that my comments are based purely on my own experience working with fairings on all type of bikes over the past 10 years.

The simple answer to the question is that 'leaned back' is always best !

However, it's not quite as simple as this, because screens that lean back have a tendency to get in the way when you are off road and can actually be quite dangerous when your face plants onto the top lip in a 'get off. So leaned back is not a good idea in this circumstance !

Furthermore, screens that lean back sometimes look a bit 'sportsbikeish' and we wouldn't want that on our Adv bikes would we !

One comment I hear a lot is that when you lean the screen back ( on such adjustable screens) the noise level goes up. This is almost certainly because guys under estimate how much leaning the screen back actually lowers it considerably and the increase noise/wind is because the air is now hitting them in the face. This is made worse if the screen doesn't have enough height adjustment to compensate for the 'lowering' of height due to having it leant back.

So why bother to have a screen that is adjustable forwards and backwards ?
1) Pushing further forward is better off road, if you don't have the ability to slide the screen down out of the way
2) It makes you feel better that you can make adjustments in all directions !

So, where does the Mirage 2 ( and 3) fit in with this ?

All Adv styled bikes have a common issue that forces the designer to have the screen quite far forward in order to give clearance to the wide, tight turning handlebars that they all have. So, in order to acheive a decent, buffet free airstream, the screen must lean back in a curve in order to avoid the bars and wing mirrors. This generally does not look good and the screen ends up quite long and often flimsy on some types. The Mirage overcomes this in three ways.
1) Visually, the Mirage is split with the fairing at the bottom and the screen at the top and this 'cheats' the eye into just how tall it actually is.
2) Although you probably cannot see the difference, a Mirage produced in the past year is actually quite different from the original with the top of the screen a full 5" further back than before. This was achieved by creating a 'curved' sliding track on the front face of the fairing matched by a similarly curved screen. The benefit of this is that you keep the same looks, but as the screen is raised is actually comes back much nearer the riders helmet creating smoother air. Furthermore, the taller you are the further back you tend to sit, so the screen keeps coming back at you the further back you are.
3) The composite fairing is very stiff and almost certainly the most solid mounting unit out there and this has allowed me to fit and support a taller screen ( soon to be taller again next week). A plastic only unit would be flopping all over the place at such a height.

One more point that comes up now and then is screen width. Some guys ask why I don't fit a wider screen. Simple answer is that it would be slightly better, but becomes too vulnerable in a fall, even folded down.

Is the Mirage the best system out there ? Of course !

Hope this helps understand the issues at hand.

Cheers Ian
Old 08-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #317
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
Thank you Ian ... A great explanation.

On point #2 - would it be accurate to say that the fairing and screen are both slightly convex top to bottom? If so, it is slight, but over the range of motion involved I can see how it could be a great advantage.

Yeah... I'm 6' 2" and have a custom seat slightly higher than stock so I think I'm one of the guys that might need the taller version. ATM I am also between jobs... but I kinda am enjoying it except for the crimp it puts in my farkle budget ...

I have my GPS mounted roughly like this guy:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=1
I like having it down next to the gauges so that I can get them all in one glance ... do you think I can I pull that off with the Mirage 2?

A picture on your site of your suggested trim line for those that don't want the GPS "shelf" would be a nice addition I think
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #318
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Thank you Ian ... A great explanation.

On point #2 - would it be accurate to say that the fairing and screen are both slightly convex top to bottom? If so, it is slight, but over the range of motion involved I can see how it could be a great advantage.

Yeah... I'm 6' 2" and have a custom seat slightly higher than stock so I think I'm one of the guys that might need the taller version. ATM I am also between jobs... but I kinda am enjoying it except for the crimp it puts in my farkle budget ...

I have my GPS mounted roughly like this guy:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=1
I like having it down next to the gauges so that I can get them all in one glance ... do you think I can I pull that off with the Mirage 2?

A picture on your site of your suggested trim line for those that don't want the GPS "shelf" would be a nice addition I think
Yes, you're correct on Point #2, both fairing and screen bend backward by over an inch from straight.

It's a no go with the GPS mounted there with the Mirage because the bars and barkbusters would hit it at full lock and I'm a bit surprised this doesn't happen on the one you showed in the photo. I'm also curious that you would prefer the GPS down there ( particularly from 6'2" !) rather than in your line of sight. With speed shown on the GPS, I have to say I hardly look down at the clocks.

Good idea on putting a photo of the trimmed version on the site, although to my knowledge, only 2 guys have ever done this and one of them ended up getting another one from me to get the shelf back !

Cheers Ian
Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #319
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Is the fairing available with an approval for European market in the meantime?
OnkelPopanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #320
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnkelPopanz View Post
Is the fairing available with an approval for European market in the meantime?
Not sure what 'approval' for the European market is, but there are hundreds of Mirage 2's in the EU these days.

Ian
Old 09-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #321
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Hi Ian,

in Europe any motorcycle fairing must wear an "e-sign" on it. That's similar to the DOT-number in the US I think.

Otherwise you migth be charged by the police any time they get you, which costs about 100,- for each offense and you are commited to remove the shield, of course...
Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #322
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Hi Ian,

in Europe any motorcycle fairing must wear an "e-sign" on it. That's similar to the DOT-number in the US I think.

Otherwise you migth be charged by the police any time they get you, which costs about 100,- for each offense and you are commited to remove the shield, of course...
I had heard of something like this from a guy in Germany, but thought it only applied in Germany.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #323
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Hhm. All Vehicles in the EU have to be approved. Maybe in Germany the controls are a little bit more.

Anyhow you would sell a lot more of your fairings if they'd have an e-sign I'm sure.

On the other hand, you are selling a lot of your fairings in Canada and the US, so I understand the European market is not so important. Cheers!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #324
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Hhm. All Vehicles in the EU have to be approved. Maybe in Germany the controls are a little bit more.

Anyhow you would sell a lot more of your fairings if they'd have an e-sign I'm sure.

On the other hand, you are selling a lot of your fairings in Canada and the US, so I understand the European market is not so important. Cheers!
Actually, nearly as many M2's go to Europe as here in N. America and we now have the Mirage 3 as well ( for the 1200 boxer), so I'll look into what is involved with approval.

Thanks

Ian
Old 10-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #325
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to offend you.
Explaining things in English is a little difficult for me. :)

Really thought your main market is America and Canada.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #326
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to offend you.
Explaining things in English is a little difficult for me. :)

Really thought your main market is America and Canada.
Certainly no offense taken at all It may well be that a lack of certification has been an issue over there and I've just not known about it.

Thanks

Ian
Old 10-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #327
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

But you are not planning to get such a certificate for your fairings?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #328
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
But you are not planning to get such a certificate for your fairings?
I'm looking into what's involved in getting certification.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 AM   #329
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

It would be amazing, I'd place an order at once!

Will you report back here if you knew more?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 AM   #330
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 948
E-certification is not enforced with such rigeur as in Germany elsewhere in Europe.

Here in Norway it's not even a subject for scrutiny.

The German TUV technical regulations for motorcycle acessories are among the strictest worldwide - but also unique for Germany so far - as far as I know here from a Norwegian perspective.
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 07:26 AM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote