+1 ..........Until Automated cars arrive
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
majorhavoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanowade View Post
Stebel. Anticipate driver distraction and give them a blast. It's cathartic.

Man, you totally beat me to it. And cathartic is right. There's something about the sound these things make that isn't so much a driver alert as it is a very forceful editorial statement.
majorhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post
I firmly believe that if drivers were frequently, routinely and consistently issued $500 citations when they are observed playing with one of their toys instead of driving while in the driver's seat, the issue of self-important douchebags blocking the progress of everyone else and endangering their fellow road users would be far smaller. Alas, the "right" to do these things has become as ingrained as the "right" to operate a motor vehicle at all.
I firmly believe that the fine could be twice that and wouldn't make a difference, because using the devices is already illegal in many places, yet the police can't/won't inforce the laws that are in place...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I firmly believe that the fine could be twice that and wouldn't make a difference, because using the devices is already illegal in many places, yet the police can't/won't enforce the laws that are in place...
I talked to a Folsom motorcycle cop last week and asked about cell phone tickets. He indicated that they write a lot of them every day and it's easy, because it only takes a few minutes to find another one deserving of a ticket. Much faster than writing speeding tickets, which they also apparently write a lot of.

So at least where I live, they are enforcing the cell phone law. But apparently it will take thousands of tickets before it makes a real difference.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,187
Another case for the loud pipe throttle jockeys.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Another case for the loud pipe throttle jockeys.

One time I was stuck behind a guy in a jeep with the top off of it. He was 15mph under the speed limit yacking on his cell phone. When I got a chance to pass him I stayed alongside him with my extra loud slip on exhaust making as much noise as I could. I know, not politically correct but it was funny!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanowade View Post
Stebel. Anticipate driver distraction and give them a blast. It's cathartic.
Do NOT buy Stebel if you ever ride your bike in rain or wet or ADV conditions. I've had three die, they're pieces of shit unless treated with kid gloves. Loud as hell for about 3 weeks, then slowly die to a low moo.

EDIT: Why was I stupid enough to buy 3 if they're a POS? Bought original one, it died, took it as bad luck. 3 years later bought another, thinking maybe the quality had improved. Shortly it died. Contacted Stebel, they replaced it under warranty. That one died too, after about 6 weeks.

What I'd recommend instead of a Stebel are Goldwing GL1800 horns. Loud as hell, sound like a train, and Honda has great build quality. Pretty easy to find on CL or eBay. Make sure you get the GL1800 twin horns set.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 157
One of the funniest things I ever saw was when I was sitting at a traffic light with a woman putting on make up to the left of me in the turn lane. Her light turned green, but she sat there continuing to put on her make up. The dump truck behind her had enough and opened up his LOUD air horn. She jumped smearing her lipstick across her face and dropped everything in her hands. She floored it through her turn, which I am sure tossed her makeup all over her car. She deserved it. I laughed pretty hard at that one. Gave the dump truck driver a thumbs up as he passed.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
One time I was stuck behind a guy in a jeep with the top off of it. He was 15mph under the speed limit yacking on his cell phone. When I got a chance to pass him I stayed alongside him with my extra loud slip on exhaust making as much noise as I could. I know, not politically correct but it was funny!
That is funny as hell. I use the same technique with loud booming car speakers when I'm in my old car. It has a stroked V-8 with open exhaust, and can easily drown out a $5000 car stereo at 3000 rpm. Smells like race fuel, too.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I talked to a Folsom motorcycle cop last week and asked about cell phone tickets. He indicated that they write a lot of them every day and it's easy, because it only takes a few minutes to find another one deserving of a ticket. Much faster than writing speeding tickets, which they also apparently write a lot of.

So at least where I live, they are enforcing the cell phone law. But apparently it will take thousands of tickets before it makes a real difference.
During the past 6-months, I have (unfortunately) had to commute to work on an 8-5 schedule.

Not once either in the morning, or in the afternoon, have I seen a trooper with anyone pulled over. For anything.

Once, or twice, I've seen troopers at the scenes of accidents, but normally they just sit at strategic locations. Presumably awaiting a call to an accident.

Each day I see many motorists using cell phones for texting, which is illegal here.

The law is useless because it is not enforced.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

rocker59 screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 02:38 PM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #26
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Just to give a UK perspective on the cell phone whilst driving thing. Here, I personally know three close friends who've been busted (fined and points on the licence) for using their phone whilst driving. Two of these were lawyers and didn't fight it, so it must be fairly easily enforceable here.

They're also in the process of introducing speed cameras (God only knows how this will work) that can also detect the driver using a phone, even if the vehicle isn't speeding.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #27
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Just to give a UK perspective on the cell phone whilst driving thing. Here, I personally know three close friends who've been busted (fined and points on the licence) for using their phone whilst driving. Two of these were lawyers and didn't fight it, so it must be fairly easily enforceable here.

They're also in the process of introducing speed cameras (God only knows how this will work) that can also detect the driver using a phone, even if the vehicle isn't speeding.
Dang, you guys have more cameras per capita than any other country that I know of.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #28
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,332
I have just returned from five months riding around Europe, and the most scary part was driving with a mate from London, who insisted on having long conversations on his phone, by blue tooth ear fitting.

He acknowledged that texting while driving was illegal, and stated, vehemently, that he didn't do it, but couldn't see that searching for a number on his phone while driving was functionally the same thing.

Because he was "phoning" not "texting", it wasn't illegal, to him, but this didn't mean he was paying attention to where he was going, or who was near. He got well bent out of shape when I complained about this, as he thinks of himself as a motorcyclist, and has a speed record, at Bonneville, to his name, and so thinks the normal laws don't apply to him.

This seems to be a blind spot of all phone users when it comes to cages, they can do it safely in their own imagination, until it all goes pear shaped.

This, multiplied by the vast number of drivers in Europe, was worrying on so many levels.

I haven't ridden in the US, yet, and so can only assume it is the same, if not worse, there.

It was a relief to get home to Un-populated Tasmania, where the law of averages means I am "safer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post

'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 AM   #29
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I firmly believe that if the car drivers were operating manual transmission vehicles, that the issue of inattentiveness would be far smaller.
No that just results in them stalling their car once they get startled into motion.

Impatient people behind do the trick. I love it when in India, everyone blips their horn when the light turns green. Sometimes it is awkward to monitor the light when you are in front, or you are just busy texting or something. Then it is nice if others are so considerate to help out
Old 10-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #30
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-Gadget View Post
I have just returned from five months riding around Europe, and the most scary part was driving with a mate from London, who insisted on having long conversations on his phone, by blue tooth ear fitting.

He acknowledged that texting while driving was illegal, and stated, vehemently, that he didn't do it, but couldn't see that searching for a number on his phone while driving was functionally the same thing.

Because he was "phoning" not "texting", it wasn't illegal, to him, but this didn't mean he was paying attention to where he was going, or who was near. He got well bent out of shape when I complained about this, as he thinks of himself as a motorcyclist, and has a speed record, at Bonneville, to his name, and so thinks the normal laws don't apply to him.

This seems to be a blind spot of all phone users when it comes to cages, they can do it safely in their own imagination, until it all goes pear shaped.

This, multiplied by the vast number of drivers in Europe, was worrying on so many levels.

I haven't ridden in the US, yet, and so can only assume it is the same, if not worse, there.

It was a relief to get home to Un-populated Tasmania, where the law of averages means I am "safer".
How do you feel about people adjusting their music system while driving?

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote