ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Gyprat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Any decent trails in SC/NC?

Howdy y'all!
I moved to Rock Hill, SC from Phoenix, AZ several years ago. There were tons of state owned back roads in Arizona but I can't seen to find too many in the Carolinas. Same thing applies to camping. I dislike to camp at campgrounds but it seems like it's all they got around here.
So I got me a new KLR650 last year to do some exploring. What I really enjoy doing is getting off the beaten path, ride some back roads and spend a night or two camping out in the wild. Not looking for extreme off-road riding, just decent back roads with a place to camp overnight. Any ideas will be appreciated.

2012 KLR650.
2006 VULCAN NOMAD 1600D.

Gyprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Honkylicious
sup?

Oddometer: 847
Try the Linville Gorge, there is a fourteen mile gravel/dirt road that runs along the western rim of the gorge. Road side camping, and wonderful views. From the north end of the road, access to the Blue Ridge Parkway is about five miles. There are more roads on the eastern rim, but I'm not as familiar with those. I've spent a lot of time camping along the first mentioned road, and down in the gorge. I'm guessing it's about two hours or so from Rock Hill.
Post up if you have any interest in this, and I can give you some more info.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,143
See my sig line (SC Dirt) if you ever want to explore SC dirt roads a few hours South of Rock Hill. You'd be welcome to camp on my family's land.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Organized DS events in the area at www.carolinadualsporters.com , including one in your backyard, Armenia Dual Sport.
ob1quixote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,206
Get one of these:

Ride N/NW, follow the small squiggly lines.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
maffud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyprat View Post
Howdy y'all!
I moved to Rock Hill, SC from Phoenix, AZ several years ago. There were tons of state owned back roads in Arizona but I can't seen to find too many in the Carolinas. Same thing applies to camping. I dislike to camp at campgrounds but it seems like it's all they got around here.
So I got me a new KLR650 last year to do some exploring. What I really enjoy doing is getting off the beaten path, ride some back roads and spend a night or two camping out in the wild. Not looking for extreme off-road riding, just decent back roads with a place to camp overnight. Any ideas will be appreciated.
I just moved to the Charlotte area from Phoenix a month ago. I have yet to ride any trails around here. It's definitely disappointing for someone who is used to the state and federal parks that are available for riding all over AZ.
I ride a WR off-road, and I am now thinking that I may need to get a more road-oriented dual-sport to ride around here. Trails seem hard to come by, outside of a few private parks (CAW, TNT, Brushy Mtn).
maffud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Trail riding

Nope. Nuke and pave program in nc. We have more malls than you
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
Gyprat OP
Adventurer

Great information. Thanks guys! Laura, I'll PM you when I decide to head your way. What kind of GPS navigator do you use? I've been using TomTom but can't figure out how to import .gpx file into it.

2012 KLR650.
2006 VULCAN NOMAD 1600D.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Gyprat OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maffud View Post
I just moved to the Charlotte area from Phoenix a month ago. I have yet to ride any trails around here. It's definitely disappointing for someone who is used to the state and federal parks that are available for riding all over AZ.
I ride a WR off-road, and I am now thinking that I may need to get a more road-oriented dual-sport to ride around here. Trails seem hard to come by, outside of a few private parks (CAW, TNT, Brushy Mtn).
I know a few nice roads just west of Chester, SC . Nothing fancy but beats anything around Charlotte. Some roads are dirt and gravel. There is a small campground nearby and a few benches with BBQ grills. You don't have to pay to get in if you don't camp overnight. There are a few spots for primitive camping but I'm not sure it's legal since it's in the national park. I sometimes get off road over there and play with my portable HAM radio but I never camped overnight.
You are welcome to join me for a ride, it's only 40 minutes from Rock Hill.

2012 KLR650.
2006 VULCAN NOMAD 1600D.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,787
Go northwest, into the mountains. Smokey Mountains, Tellico, North Georgia, East Tennessee.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Local

If you want to do some local dual sporting let me know, there are plenty of trails to ride, just not much gravel and dirt roads.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyprat View Post
Great information. Thanks guys! Laura, I'll PM you when I decide to head your way. What kind of GPS navigator do you use? I've been using TomTom but can't figure out how to import .gpx file into it.
I use a Garmin Nuvi 750 which doesn't handle tracks. I learned the hard way not to try to use routes off road with it. So I just create image overlays for it from GPX files using a program called GPX2IMG. That particular program doesn't work with TomTom, but it does look like TomToms will accept image overlays - see here. If you ever want to try an overlay on your TomTom, one way to convert my GPX file to a JPG would be to use the free, web-based GPS Visualizer program.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
maffud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
If you want to do some local dual sporting let me know, there are plenty of trails to ride, just not much gravel and dirt roads.
Trails are good with me!
Any chance of getting out this weekend? I couldn't do an all-day ride, but I could probably go for a couple of hours. I'd love to get an intro to some local trails.

BTW - I never did get out this past weekend. I had planned a street ride up to Uwharrie Forest, but a battery that I had just purchased and installed turned out to be faulty and I spent the morning dealing with that instead.
maffud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Ride

maffud,
I would love to get out but I am tied up just about every weekend this month........let me see if I can get out for a bit on the 19th, I should be off that day and I can show you around some local trails, and I will post it up on the local CLT thread as well.
BOIKE
Old 10-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
Gyprat OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
I'll be in Cali until the 19th. Maybe we can do something after that. Thanks for your offer.

2012 KLR650.
2006 VULCAN NOMAD 1600D.