ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasca View Post
The files I get normally contain hundreds some times thousands of points I don't think there is any route information in them. I see co-ordinate points with altitudes. Most of the files I get follow actually roads displayed in BaseCamp and minor trails that don't, some even go through private property.

I don't need directions spoken to me, just need a magenta line to follow, this is why I wrote my original post on how I found away to display the track as a magenta line and follow it on the Zumo350LM.
First, let me say that WinGDB3 works nicely and if you want to do nothing else with the Track, Edwards app will do nicely. But, if you want to use BaseCamp to it's fullest, there is much more you can do to "refine" your Direct Route (which is what you end up with converting a Track in this manner).

Here is the BaseCamp workflow:
  • Import your GPX file to a List of your choosing.
  • Select the Track from the List and right-click on it.
  • Select Create Route from selected Track.
  • You will see the following window:

If the Track has a very large number of track points (≥1000), I would allow BaseCamp to Choose the number of points automatically. I don't know what the maximum number of Shaping Points is that the zumo350LM can handle but if you haven't had any issues so far you should be OK.
  • Once the Direct Route has been calculated open it by double-clicking. Now this next step will change the Via Points to Shaping Points.
  • Select all of the points BETWEEN the start point and end point.
  • Right-click on the selected points and choose Don't Alert on Arrival(shaping point).

Your done. The same conditions apply as your previous method for transferring the Direct Route to your zumo. The benefit of using BaseCamp to do this conversion is that you can make some of the points Announced or you can insert Waypoints to be announced on your ride: like "Close Gate" or "Lunch Here".

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,898
If you set them all to do not alert like that, won't that mean that you won't get any voice prompts about upcoming turns?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
If you set them all to do not alert like that, won't that mean that you won't get any voice prompts about upcoming turns?
These are Direct Routes you will not get turn-by-turn navigation prompts expect by way of point announcements. So, you are correct that you will not get any announcements if you turn them all to shaping points. That is why I made the point of "inserting" or changing some of the points to Waypoints with names & symbols that have meaning.

If you don't need to worry about no-mapped-road segments like the OP discussed (and that you most likely would find in Tracks) then just recalculate the new Route using whatever Activity mode you want. Make sure to check it against the original Track for deviations. Then you will have an Along-road Route that will give you the typical turn-by-turn announcements.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
These are Direct Routes you will not get turn-by-turn navigation prompts expect by way of point announcements. So, you are correct that you will not get any announcements if you turn them all to shaping points. That is why I made the point of "inserting" or changing some of the points to Waypoints with names & symbols that have meaning.

If you don't need to worry about no-mapped-road segments like the OP discussed (and that you most likely would find in Tracks) then just recalculate the new Route using whatever Activity mode you want. Make sure to check it against the original Track for deviations. Then you will have an Along-road Route that will give you the typical turn-by-turn announcements.
Cool. Thanks. I'll experiment. Not sure what my approach ought to be when the route I've made only shows the start and finish, though. IOW, no visible points to change, so I guess the only thing to do is add waypoints?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Cool. Thanks. I'll experiment. Not sure what my approach ought to be when the route I've made only shows the start and finish, though. IOW, no visible points to change, so I guess the only thing to do is add waypoints?
Well, "no visible points" is not quite what it means in BaseCamp....

You can select a via point to change it's name/symbol before you make the rest Shaping Points. You can also change any/all of those Shaping Points back to Via Points if you so desire. You'll figure it out I'm sure...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
Emoto
Sure, why not?

I tried this technique this past weekend and it worked great. This 221 mile route that was set up with a lot of turns to take me over very specific roads...

... was exported to gpx then run through the program and then pasted into a blank list. I loaded that to my 350 and it faithfully gave me all of the turn-by-turn directions, even though in BaseCamp, the route detail looked like this:

See how is has only 2 points? Yet, every single little turn was spoken.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I tried this technique this past weekend and it worked great. This 221 mile route that was set up with a lot of turns to take me over very specific roads...

... was exported to gpx then run through the program and then pasted into a blank list. I loaded that to my 350 and it faithfully gave me all of the turn-by-turn directions, even though in BaseCamp, the route detail looked like this:

See how is has only 2 points? Yet, every single little turn was spoken.
That's because when a route is calculated using "shaping points" you don't see them in the properties list like you would if you changed Via Points to shaping points in BaseCamp. The data to give you turn-by-turn is actually in the map not the Route.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
That's because when a route is calculated using "shaping points" you don't see them in the properties list like you would if you changed Via Points to shaping points in BaseCamp. The data to give you turn-by-turn is actually in the map not the Route.
That's very cool to know! So, is it a fair bet that one of these "processed" routes would do ok if I gave it to a guy running something like a 2730 with maps only maybe one or two updates back?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #24
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
That's very cool to know! So, is it a fair bet that one of these "processed" routes would do ok if I gave it to a guy running something like a 2730 with maps only maybe one or two updates back?
I don't know if the Streetpilot 2730 supported shaping points. My gut tells me it did not. In which case there's very low odds that the 2730 will produce the same route path; especially on a route like your example.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Had an interesting experience with this over the weekend. I plotted 2 days of routes, each totaling something over 200 miles of backroads, so quite a lot of turns. I did them both the same as the one I posted about above, e.g., the way the OP said to do. Loaded them into the 350LM.

The odd thing is that the day one route did NOT provide any audio turn by turn directions, but day 2 DID!

I had started with a single route, then duped it, then chopped off the first day's part from what I saved as the second day route. The only difference that I am aware of is that I forgot to chop the second day's stuff off from the first day's route, so it was about twice as long. Other than that, they were done exactly the same.

Any thoughts?