Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #46
The Flyin Hawaiian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodave View Post
That guy who wrote that rode where I ride now. I agree with all of his statements. Less clutching, less shifting and bucket loads of smooth, electric like torque help me get through tight, technical sections without expending much energy at all!
The Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #47
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Your guesses and feelings mean little when compared to my and others real world experience. You assume that others posses your meager riding skills. Not so. So in the end it would behoove you to...................

I get the feeling that most on here who suggest a converted open class MX bike is superior to a smaller machine for tight woods riding, are play bike riders who never take part in serious competition?

Nothing wrong at all with riding an uncompetitive bike for playing, but a bit silly to claim they are likely to better smaller much easier bikes in serious competition.

My views on this are also held by someone I know pretty well who is the manager of one of the main WEC teams, who is still a very good rider himself.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #48
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Excellent read. I really enjoyed it.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #49
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I get the feeling that most on here who suggest a converted open class MX bike is superior to a smaller machine for tight woods riding, are play bike riders who never take part in serious competition?

Nothing wrong at all with riding an uncompetitive bike for playing, but a bit silly to claim they are likely to better smaller much easier bikes in serious competition. .
i don't see anywhere in this thread where anyone has intimated that the big bores are superior to a small two stroke, aside frm one guy mentioning that he didn't find it any easier on his kdx200. one guy. otherwise, the ONLY person setting up this straw man argument is you. the thread is about making a particular and in some areas notorious big bore two stroke motocross bike into a usable trail machine. pay attention, and quit trying to start fights just for the sake of it.

(and i willingly admit that i am way faster in the woods on my ktm200 or gasgas300 than i will ever be on my rxv550. now seriously, stop trolling, dude...)
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #50
The Flyin Hawaiian
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I am a fairly decent A enduro rider. Ive raced everything from a 125 to a 650 4t and have been racing for close to 30 years so I think I have a bit of experience. Most of my race bikes have been 250 mx bikes converted for offroad. During my hayday that was the size bike that worked best for me. At 45 years of age I am still able to run fairly well against the fast guys in my class and even pull a win or 2 out of my hat. Now days, I just dont feel like shifting and clutching all day to go fast and prefer riding the 500 over my 250, which I still have. It saves me energy and lets me enjoy the ride more. Its fairly stock engine wise and is not the mythical, uncontrollable fire breathing dragon that they are made out to be. I dont work on it as much also. I used to buy bikes that I thought would make the most effective race machine but were not necessarily the most fun to ride all day long now I ride what I feel is the best bike I have ever had, even though I had to build it.

To the original poster, Im sure that quite a few parts from a IT490/465 will bolt on to your YZ to make it a great offroader. The wr trans and ignition can help tame it down and make it a more versatile offroader.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #51
dynodave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flyin Hawaiian View Post
That guy who wrote that rode where I ride now. I agree with all of his statements. Less clutching, less shifting and bucket loads of smooth, electric like torque help me get through tight, technical sections without expending much energy at all!
I don't know where you ride now Hawaiian, but the piece was written by me after having grown up in the South Jersey Pine Barrons, on a stock CR480 at 17 yrs old. You hit it right on the nose earlier when you said the key is throttle control. This I learned early on the 480.
dynodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #52
dynodave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra View Post
Excellent read. I really enjoyed it.
Thanks mudmantra. The Famous Super Hunky himself contacted me and published my article in `04.

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/fea...est-11104.html
Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #53
dynodave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flyin Hawaiian View Post
...I just dont feel like shifting and clutching all day to go fast and prefer riding the 500 over my 250, which I still have. It saves me energy and lets me enjoy the ride more. Its fairly stock engine wise and is not the mythical, uncontrollable fire breathing dragon that they are made out to be. I dont work on it as much also.
Ahhh..very well said. Sounds like my street legal, enduroized CR500.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #54
dynodave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I get the feeling that most on here who suggest a converted open class MX bike is superior to a smaller machine ...
Superior at throwing large rocks at 200cc riders.

Superior? Yes...by far.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #55
dynodave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra View Post
I've got the YZ490 running pretty good. I really like the bike and the power, but I think I need to smooth it out a little bit. I need a some idea's on how to make it better for riding in the woods. What are the best mods for it? Carburetor, Pipe, Ports, Flywheel weight, Gearing? Any idea's, or experience's of turning up the old YZ490 would help.
Don't fret mudmantra...all the good mods you'll need to make your 490 a kickass woods bike have been posted.

Twin-Shocker is just tired of getting roosted by big bores. One can only take so much sandblasting!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #56
The Flyin Hawaiian
Gnarly Adventurer

dynodave, I live right by the Rt 72 circle.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #57
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Superior at throwing large rocks at 200cc riders.

Superior? Yes...by far.
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #58
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
i have ridden both small and large bore 2t in competition. my riding style suits the 'wring it's neck' style the small bores offer. they each have their issues - i have to push a 200 very hard. the 500 the exact opposite. i like to be on the pipe and screaming - which means the bike has to be really close to optimal jetting and timing.... i certainly can be faster on the big bore, or the small bore - it really depends on how you ride it, the conditions, etc. there is no doubt the big bores last way longer. both take skill and brains to ride consistently fast.... the lightweight of the small bore is a definite trade off for the easy to come by power of the big bore...on a small bore, i twist the throttle to it's stops every time. on a big bore almost never, why would you when you can just shift up, and stay in the same rev range/throttle position.. when the going gets real slow/sloppy, the big bore wins, you don't need to think about being in the power, it's always in the power.. it may not be as snappy, but it's exiting just as fast as the smaller bores, just doesn't sound like it is...throttle and clutch is everything on both bike sizes..... and whoever brakes last and makes the fewest mistakes wins anyways
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 07:58 PM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #59
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Here's the easy way.

Machine the cylinder base -.75MM. Widen exhaust (do not raise)port keeping in mind the intended use. Open/widen/lower the boost port W/O changing height. Clean the transfers up and correct cylinder entrance angles if needed. Open intake to facilitate flow because that won't change timing due to the reed controlling it. Gore makes a Boyesen Port in his 465 cylinder but I don't see the gain being worth the effort. But he has been doing this longer than I.

Correct the head for compression,MSV and clearance again keeping in mind usage. Keep the stock carb 'cause a 38MM is small for a 465/490 and suits low-mid range power. If you want to make the most of the new port timing a couple pipe mods and tuning ignition timing would finish the job.

All rather elementary if you know anything about smokers. Perhaps turning off the computer,purchasing a motorcycle and riding it would lead you down the path of modifying for performance instead of just buying new. Then again maybe not. Too many good motorcycles rot behind barns and garages because of that attitude.

What say you now?
+1

I had an 82 YZ 490 that I originally purchased to race MX. Then entered a few offroad events with it and thought the bike worked better in the woods than on the MX track.

If you can find a DG pipe for the bike it makes a huge difference over the stock pipe. Really smoothes out the power band . With the DG pipe you could pretty much ride the bike in 3rd and 4th gear.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #60
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,061
hmm i dont know much about the early YZ490 but the latter YZ490WR and WR500 i know a little more about....went to buy one on the odd occasion

here some info

http://www.yamahawr500.com/about.html

it might give you some hints as to what can be done to change it for Trail use

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote