ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
grub OP
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,095
Talk to me about Single Track

Hey guys, the road riding around White Salmon looks great but my little laptop crashes when I try to open your 30 page MVUMs. How much and what kind of single track is within a reasonable day trip? I am considering applying for a job there and I have a 300 EXC that requires a steady diet of steep and nasty or it growls at me in the garage
Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 878
Search for Gifford Pinchot on this thread and Day Rides. I think it will cure you and the 300.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
grub OP
Requires Supervision

Thank you sir
Old 10-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,191
Hood River is just accross the bridge from White Salmon also, and theres a number of OHV areas near there as well. Both are great places to live, and being close to the border gives you more options.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
grub OP
Requires Supervision

Thanks guys, I have found some threads and things look pretty good. lot like Colorado only with nicer views and less rocks
Old 10-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 2,924
Did you see this thread? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833057 I don't know if there is much useful info in it or not.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
grub OP
Requires Supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Did you see this thread? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833057 I don't know if there is much useful info in it or not.

Many thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm all about those rocks and switchbacks. The deep mud and slimey, maybe not so much. I guess I would have to expect a little bit of a learning curve if I get that far from home
Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,215
Let me know when you are out here in WS/HR and I'll show you around--show you some single track. Cheers.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,681
White Salmon is an awesome place.. that whole part of the Gorge is one of my favorite places on the planet.. I grew up riding dirt bikes, snow skiing, hiking, surfing and sailing in So Cal, and to me, there is hardly any place better that offers all those opportunities right out side your front door. I wish I lived closer, but Seattle is not far for me to go down there and play. Gifford has a couple hundred miles of trails, most of which is advanced, high elevation stuff. Because of that the riding season up there is relatively short. Many of the trails aren't open till mid July or later, and usually by late September, they are under snow again. The County OHV parks Southwest of Hood River are open year round, but they do get soggy in the winter. There's a great GP style off road track near by in Goldendale. There's also another great network of trails within a couple of hours of you called Naches/Manastash where it would take several days to ride all the trails. If you head further South in to Oregon, there are numerous OHV areas as well.. South of Bend is a place called East Fort Rock with a huge trail network.

There are a ton of great forest and paved roads too.. with lots of amazing scenery around every corner. Camping, fishing, hiking, hunting are all excellent in the area as well.
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
grub OP
Requires Supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
Let me know when you are out here in WS/HR and I'll show you around--show you some single track. Cheers.
Thank you, I will take you up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
White Salmon is an awesome place.. that whole part of the Gorge is one of my favorite places on the planet.. I grew up riding dirt bikes, snow skiing, hiking, surfing and sailing in So Cal, and to me, there is hardly any place better that offers all those opportunities right out side your front door. I wish I lived closer, but Seattle is not far for me to go down there and play. Gifford has a couple hundred miles of trails, most of which is advanced, high elevation stuff. Because of that the riding season up there is relatively short. Many of the trails aren't open till mid July or later, and usually by late September, they are under snow again. The County OHV parks Southwest of Hood River are open year round, but they do get soggy in the winter. There's a great GP style off road track near by in Goldendale. There's also another great network of trails within a couple of hours of you called Naches/Manastash where it would take several days to ride all the trails. If you head further South in to Oregon, there are numerous OHV areas as well.. South of Bend is a place called East Fort Rock with a huge trail network.

There are a ton of great forest and paved roads too.. with lots of amazing scenery around every corner. Camping, fishing, hiking, hunting are all excellent in the area as well.
This is all great news, I love anything outside. I was a fly fishing guide for a few summers in college and am an avid life-long hunter. I am checking into some specifics in regards to the job and real estate (your house prices are out of sight) and hope things work out. I really like the looks of the riding in the area, some of the trails look to have a whole different feel to them, while others look like they could be straight out of Colorado. Even if I don't come up there permanently I have added it to the list of places to visit.